News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very excited for this movie - but for some reason this trailer doesn’t do it for me ... maybe just too much bits that jump around and not enough flow or story to it?
For me - I am excited about all the new Marvel movies -- as they are delving into characters or storylines that never existed during my "comic book days" of the 80s/90s. Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy -- storylines like Civil War. It's all new .. yet familiar.

Reminds me .. gotta see Ant Man and the Wasp - Is it out on Netflix yet? (probably not)

The MCU is just a brilliant concept and I'm surprised they haven't been able to duplicate this level of planning and detail into the recent Star Wars movies (instead of just throwing Episode VIII at a certain unnamed director and just say "do what you want with the story!").

Sorry, have to disagree about TV. Maybe its lacking in the more general public channels, but the pay for television venues have excellent shows.

Actually even TNT-anyone watch The Alienist last year? Or The Americans on FX?

We have been in a golden age for television for a few years now.

But that's great to hear about an upcoming princess movie!
I haven't watched The Americans but I did watch The Alienist, I did watch The Terror.

Both of the shows I watched are highly niched audience. Both could be hard to watch for the average person (The Terror sometimes I was like "ewwwwwww"). But both I would consider quite good. I actually enjoyed The Alienist more.

Also The Sinner, especially for me the first season, was done quite well as well.

But those shows have been marketed as a limited series. I think for a lot of audiences nowadays when it comes to tv shows their attention span is less. A show with only 8-10 episodes means a person can get into the show but not feel too bored. That said The Terror was renewed for a 2nd season (when I don't think they planned for that) but the story arc in the first season is completed still. That said The Sinner was renewed for a 2nd season (when I don't think they planned for that) but the story arc in the first season was completed and they, IMO, did a good thing by bringing back Bill Pullman as a main character for the second season.

On Starz we watched American Gods which is a very strange show but somehow it works. Problem with that is the first season was April-June 2017 with the second season not coming out until 2019 so potentially 2 years in between seasons. I find that to be an issue with some of the premium channel shows is that they wait for a long time in between seasons. Though Black Sails on Starz had a consistent schedule they followed.

Sorry. I'm in the "Super-Hero burnout" camp. Too many of them with the same over-the-top physics-defying CGI. This trailer is full of it (CGI).
I'm not a good gauge on this since I've never been a huge fan of these things. That said... while I've thought recent Marvel trailers were mostly unappealing and slightly ridiculous (and this last one looks deathly boring to me), I have to say that the Aquaman preview (which is WB, right?) was painful to watch. The whole thing looks CGI, and the blank stares on actors' faces -- meant to be dramatic looks, I think -- were just sad. To me. :)

I've actually liked Guardians and Ant-Man -- and I'm a big Robert Downey Jr fan, so I've seen Iron Man stuff. My kids have watched the ones I've wanted to see, but have never had an interest in seeing more (they're 12 and 13 now).

I know there is more flexibility with Marvel to churn out movies (as compared to SW), but can't they hit saturation with this stuff, too?

I haven't watched The Americans but I did watch The Alienist, I did watch The Terror.

Both of the shows I watched are highly niched audience. Both could be hard to watch for the average person (The Terror sometimes I was like "ewwwwwww"). But both I would consider quite good. I actually enjoyed The Alienist more.

Also The Sinner, especially for me the first season, was done quite well as well.

But those shows have been marketed as a limited series. I think for a lot of audiences nowadays when it comes to tv shows their attention span is less. A show with only 8-10 episodes means a person can get into the show but not feel too bored. That said The Terror was renewed for a 2nd season (when I don't think they planned for that) but the story arc in the first season is completed still. That said The Sinner was renewed for a 2nd season (when I don't think they planned for that) but the story arc in the first season was completed and they, IMO, did a good thing by bringing back Bill Pullman as a main character for the second season.

On Starz we watched American Gods which is a very strange show but somehow it works. Problem with that is the first season was April-June 2017 with the second season not coming out until 2019 so potentially 2 years in between seasons. I find that to be an issue with some of the premium channel shows is that they wait for a long time in between seasons. Though Black Sails on Starz had a consistent schedule they followed.

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, is one of my favorite books. I just refuse to watch the show. I'm not sure how it would translate, but Gaiman, and ultra talented fantasy writer, has rarely translated well to the big or small screen.

Yeah I don’t pay for TV channels. I have Netflix but otherwise I watch general TV channels. I don’t see any reason for me to buy HBO or things like that.
It has been years since we've watched much of anything on network TV. It's gotten MUCH worse, while pay TV has really innovated over the years and produced some incredible programming. Worth the $$ to us. Then add in Netflix and Amazon Prime, and we have MUCH better choices these days than we did years ago.

I know there is more flexibility with Marvel to churn out movies (as compared to SW), but can't they hit saturation with this stuff, too?
They can but I’m not sure they have. We are at the point of Avengers 4. We don’t really know what happened after this. We were supposed to have guardians 3 in 2020 but we all know how that ended up. I think we will see a bit of a slow down after Avengers 4 which will help with the thoughts of saturation.

For me - I am excited about all the new Marvel movies -- as they are delving into characters or storylines that never existed during my "comic book days" of the 80s/90s. Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy -- storylines like Civil War. It's all new .. yet familiar.

Reminds me .. gotta see Ant Man and the Wasp - Is it out on Netflix yet? (probably not)

The MCU is just a brilliant concept and I'm surprised they haven't been able to duplicate this level of planning and detail into the recent Star Wars movies (instead of just throwing Episode VIII at a certain unnamed director and just say "do what you want with the story!").

It is interesting that the MCU seems to have worked so well while for Star Wars there is talk of “burnout” despite much fewer files than for Marvel

Not exactly sure why but I think it is because MCU felt fresh and something not really done before (creating standalone movies that exist in the same universe and build to the group movies) whereas Star Wats was building off the existing franchise which has pros and cons but when you give die hard fans decades to think of what came after episode 6 hard to live up to that.

One thing that I think has hurt Star Wars is the juggling of timelines - so you have the new movies which are telling you to “let go of the past” and then the next film out wants you to relive the past

Be interesting to see how the next Marvel movies do since they are jumping around timelines a bit now with a captain marvel set in the 90s and I forget the exact timeline of where the next Spider-Man is (is it before or after Infinity War parts 1 and 2?) and then back to main timeline

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, is one of my favorite books. I just refuse to watch the show. I'm not sure how it would translate, but Gaiman, and ultra talented fantasy writer, has rarely translated well to the big or small screen.
I did not read the books so I'm sure that helped. It was a crazy show TBH but it somehow worked lol.

They can but I’m not sure they have. We are at the point of Avengers 4. We don’t really know what happened after this. We were supposed to have guardians 3 in 2020 but we all know how that ended up. I think we will see a bit of a slow down after Avengers 4 which will help with the thoughts of saturation.

Yeah, it's just Spiderman that we know of after avengers 4 right? I'm convinced that will be about him regenerating in space and having to work his way back to earth.

It is interesting that the MCU seems to have worked so well while for Star Wars there is talk of “burnout” despite much fewer files than for Marvel

Not exactly sure why but I think it is because MCU felt fresh and something not really done before (creating standalone movies that exist in the same universe and build to the group movies) whereas Star Wats was building off the existing franchise which has pros and cons but when you give die hard fans decades to think of what came after episode 6 hard to live up to that.

One thing that I think has hurt Star Wars is the juggling of timelines - so you have the new movies which are telling you to “let go of the past” and then the next film out wants you to relive the past

Be interesting to see how the next Marvel movies do since they are jumping around timelines a bit now with a captain marvel set in the 90s and I forget the exact timeline of where the next Spider-Man is (is it before or after Infinity War parts 1 and 2?) and then back to main timeline

Marvel creates different feels for it's movies. Black panther was not the same type of film as was guardians (space Opera comedy), same with Spiderman (teen/coming of age) ant man (heist movie).

Star wars is just trying to do the same thing.

They really need to Branch out into different time periods.

Really makes the original struggles to save the Galaxy suck if all that happens is the Galaxy goes right back to #@$_ 20 years later.

If it stayed true to the book, it would have needed to be pretty crazy. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'd encourage you, and anyone who likes fantasy, to read the book. It is an incredibly imaginative story.

I think it actually did stay pretty true to the book.

There were some crazy things in the TV show.

I am very excited for this movie - but for some reason this trailer doesn’t do it for me ... maybe just too much bits that jump around and not enough flow or story to it?
I was a bit excited, but I have been disappointed in the trailers. I don't know if it's the trailer format or Brie Larson. I'm concerned it may be Brie Larson. She comes off as a teenager or younger girl in the trailer - and she isn't (and shouldn't be).

Or, it could be the trailer splicing. When I saw Fantastic Beasts, there were 3 movie trailers with exactly the same plot: teen/young adult female battling robot aliens and trying to find her "role in the universe." This looks exactly like the other 3. I'm hoping it's a bad trend in cutting trailers, but fearing it's just a cookie cutter like the others.

Marvel creates different feels for it's movies. Black panther was not the same type of film as was guardians (space Opera comedy), same with Spiderman (teen/coming of age) ant man (heist movie).

Star wars is just trying to do the same thing.

They really need to Branch out into different time periods.

Really makes the original struggles to save the Galaxy suck if all that happens is the Galaxy goes right back to #@$_ 20 years later.

well, I feel like they are trying to do that with the Star Wars movies - I mean, Solo was basically a heist movie and Rogue One was like a war movie

Then they struggle with people complaining that episode 7 was too much the same and then that episode 8 was too different

I do have hope for the new series coming to the streaming network - hopefully they can have a different feel as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter