• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The land purchase is interesting.
Not sure if it indicates(via land swap) that they have a big project or many smaller projects on their mind.
We've collectively been saying no 5th gate for a while, but I wonder if a large expansion of an existing park could be in play?

I don't see a need for another Disney Springs like property. Hotels make sense to certain extent, but it has to balance with existing park capacities.

You have the encroachment on the Fort Wilderness campground which is prime real estate that probably isn't quite earning to it's potential. The whole lake area seems like it would be prime real estate area, along with everything else along the epcot monorail loop.

Also can't help but wonder if future transportation projects might be a factor.

Really, what does walt disney world need that it doesn't already have?

It can probably use more beds.
It can do better in respect to transporting guests.
It could use more attractions for the existing amount of guests.
It could use more affordable housing for employees.

I feel like we need to sick DanBoris on this to ferret it out just like the skyliner project.

The land purchase is interesting.
Not sure if it indicates(via land swap) that they have a big project or many smaller projects on their mind.
We've collectively been saying no 5th gate for a while, but I wonder if a large expansion of an existing park could be in play?

I don't see a need for another Disney Springs like property. Hotels make sense to certain extent, but it has to balance with existing park capacities.

You have the encroachment on the Fort Wilderness campground which is prime real estate that probably isn't quite earning to it's potential. The whole lake area seems like it would be prime real estate area, along with everything else along the epcot monorail loop.

Also can't help but wonder if future transportation projects might be a factor.

Really, what does walt disney world need that it doesn't already have?

It can probably use more beds.
It can do better in respect to transporting guests.
It could use more attractions for the existing amount of guests.
It could use more affordable housing for employees.

I feel like we need to sick DanBoris on this to ferret it out just like the skyliner project.

Two of the things you mention are already being done with the new hotel/dvc at River Country and the new digs for the college program kids.

You know one thing that i have thought of over the years (as I grow older) is a place that is set up more for people that are older. A land where it takes people back in time rather than tomorrow land. A land with wide sidewalks for scooters. A land that has CoP and CBJ and the railroad, jungle cruise Tiki room and most shows that older people would want. We had both my mom and dad and my MIL last trip and it wore them out. And they are right at 80, get around great and love the place. They love the feel of Disney, the landscape at the hotels and such but both told me when we left that they probably wouldn't be back. Just too much walking.

Here is a crazy idea. A college campus on property to address staffing issues. UCF's campus is 45+ minutes away. Partner with UCF for college classes more convenient to CM. Maybe move the UCF hospitality program on property? Open their own culinary academy? All practicum hours to be fulfilled at WDW. It could get CP CM there for longer if they could work on their degree while in the CP.

Last edited:
Two of the things you mention are already being done with the new hotel/dvc at River Country and the new digs for the college program kids.

You know one thing that i have thought of over the years (as I grow older) is a place that is set up more for people that are older. A land where it takes people back in time rather than tomorrow land. A land with wide sidewalks for scooters. A land that has CoP and CBJ and the railroad, jungle cruise Tiki room and most shows that older people would want. We had both my mom and dad and my MIL last trip and it wore them out. And they are right at 80, get around great and love the place. They love the feel of Disney, the landscape at the hotels and such but both told me when we left that they probably wouldn't be back. Just too much walking.

It's an interesting idea - are you thinking a separate park or something like a Retirement Comunity at Disney?

I feel like Disney rather than saying "this park is best for kids, this park is best for older people, etc" wants it to be "every park is for everyone - not every element within each park, but there is something for everyone in every park" (so making EPCOT more kid/family friendly, adding more thrills to MK, etc.)

I do think Disney needs to keep in mind the benefit of "slow" attractions. I know that was one complaint (or at least observance) my wife had with Universal - in that there were very few "slow" attractions and you felt like you were always go, go, go - and you go through a ton but then were spent after like 6 hours. Disney hasn't made a lot of 12+ minute long slowing attractions and not adding parades, if anything removing shows,e tc.

I like it, even a Branson type "Eat to the beat" sorta park that doesn't sound too great to the young and restless. Plus Disney shows etc of course. Train, tram people mover type rides but nothing crazy. Getting the folks down for the weather is a lot of it, so summers might be kinda slow I suppose.

I like it, even a Branson type "Eat to the beat" sorta park that doesn't sound too great to the young and restless. Plus Disney shows etc of course. Train, tram people mover type rides but nothing crazy. Getting the folks down for the weather is a lot of it, so summers might be kinda slow I suppose.

Yeah, I noticed that what bothered my parents the most was how the masses pretty much ran over them. They felt in the way just because they don't move as fast anymore. I never noticed how fast we move (which I think is slower than the masses) but we did have to slow way down for them. And we went to the parks in the mornings when they waited till evenings.

It's an interesting idea - are you thinking a separate park or something like a Retirement Comunity at Disney?

I feel like Disney rather than saying "this park is best for kids, this park is best for older people, etc" wants it to be "every park is for everyone - not every element within each park, but there is something for everyone in every park" (so making EPCOT more kid/family friendly, adding more thrills to MK, etc.)

I do think Disney needs to keep in mind the benefit of "slow" attractions. I know that was one complaint (or at least observance) my wife had with Universal - in that there were very few "slow" attractions and you felt like you were always go, go, go - and you go through a ton but then were spent after like 6 hours. Disney hasn't made a lot of 12+ minute long slowing attractions and not adding parades, if anything removing shows,e tc.

Yeah, just more of a laid back park. If you make it full of "slow" attractions, then the thrill seekers probably won't bother with it. Just think about how many park benches you would need in a park like that! pirate:

Yeah, I noticed that what bothered my parents the most was how the masses pretty much ran over them. They felt in the way just because they don't move as fast anymore. I never noticed how fast we move (which I think is slower than the masses) but we did have to slow way down for them. And we went to the parks in the mornings when they waited till evenings.

Yep and I agree with really wide open walkways, heck welcome scooters etc. Maybe quite a few moving sidewalks like US has after you park.

Like the plenty of shaded benches idea as well. Maybe even a "one guest" (at least) has to be over 55 hotel connected.

Yeah, just more of a laid back park. If you make it full of "slow" attractions, then the thrill seekers probably won't bother with it. Just think about how many park benches you would need in a park like that! pirate:
you could make it just kiddy rides too for the youngest of grandchildren

You want a park target at older/retirees? Good luck with that. I know you are mostly just kidding...but it also is a Fantasyland.

It's another negative of the big crowds Disney has all the time. It can be really intimidating for seniors. The size of the parks is just a wall that everyone hits. We brought my DM and DMIL both around 70 to the parks, and they did well, but yeah you definitely have to go slower. We realize that DMIL when we took her to Universal last year (just past 70) that she can't do it without a wheelchair anymore. (The universal parks are much smalller than the Disney parks, and the walking is quite a bit less.)

Well, this is how Universal differentiates. It's a thrill park. It isn't worried about older folks or really younger (lets say <7 year old) folks. I mean it has a few things for kids to not COMPLETELY scare off families - especially now with Harry Potter since that appeals at a pretty young age now, but they really aren't after the "entire family".

Personally, my wife and I's window for Universal is already closing at 50. I'll go on all the rides - but the constant need for thrill gets tedious to me - I already prefer something that can entertain me without having to shake me like a margarita.

I wonder if the land just came up for sale and they jumped on it.

Might not even want it for the near future, they might have just wanted to have it.
That is certainly a valid point. Also could be to prevent it from being purchased by others.

Disney has already stated it will be conservation/water management offset for other development. The seller's rep said pretty much the same.

"This parcel will be used for conservation-related and water management needs," the emailed statement said. https://www.wftv.com/news/local/dis...-of-land-south-of-walt-disney-world/890338512

But Jerry McGratty, broker/owner of Westhampton Realty and the court-appointed receiver for the property, told GrowthSpotter it's likely the project will stay on a shelf because Disney was primarily interested in acquiring the land for "water management needs" and conservation.

"I do not believe they will ever develop it," he said.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-disney-buys-osceola-land-20181216-story.html

Here is a crazy idea. A college campus on property to address staffing issues. UCF's campus is 45+ minutes away. Partner with UCF for college classes more convenient to CM. Maybe move the UCF hospitality program on property? Open their own culinary academy? All practicum hours to be fulfilled at WDW. It could get CP CM there for longer if they could work on their degree while in the CP.

Defending National Champs UCF has their hospitality school much closer actually. The Rosen College of Hospitality Management (proud alumni) is almost right next to Universal's new park pending location/Rosen Shingle Creek. I always though Disney should be more active with Students there especially since that campus now has housing as well.

Disney has already stated it will be conservation/water management offset for other development. The seller's rep said pretty much the same.

"This parcel will be used for conservation-related and water management needs," the emailed statement said. https://www.wftv.com/news/local/dis...-of-land-south-of-walt-disney-world/890338512

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-disney-buys-osceola-land-20181216-story.html
I would love if it were a 5th gate. The crowds have gotten so unmanageable, it would be nice to have another park to divide people up a bit more. Either way, if they need it for water resources and conservation it certainly sounds like they have some sort of large scale project in the works. That's a huge conservation area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter