News Round Up 2020

It appears more and more that Disney is just prepping for not opening until AFTER June .. or at least not opening in May and opening in June with a VERY limited staff (which means a very limited experience).

If they do that, and that's fine considering the circumstances, I hope they let people who have trips booked after a "limited" opening to have the same refund policy as those who have had trips forcibly cancelled due to closure.

It appears more and more that Disney is just prepping for not opening until AFTER June .. or at least not opening in May and opening in June with a VERY limited staff (which means a very limited experience).

If they do that, and that's fine considering the circumstances, I hope they let people who have trips booked after a "limited" opening to have the same refund policy as those who have had trips forcibly cancelled due to closure.

Even if they knew they WERE planning to open in June, it would make sense to cancel CP as a courtesy to local CMs so they could give them all the hours they need to make up for closure. It would cost Disney some OT pay but would be the right move IMO. CP take SOOOO many hours from local full and part time employees.

That said, i 100% agree they are planning to not open until June or even later. I could see fall at this point.

Yeah. It's not good. One wonders the extent to which Epcot can reopen without the Cultural Representative Program. There were rumors a few weeks ago about Epcot not reopening immediately with the other parks. I believe AKL makes heavy use of cultural representatives as well, not sure how the other resorts could be impacted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How would that happen? Don't those CP's need to go back to their regular classes?
Yes, you’re quite right. Many CP CMs are able to work at Disney for a specific amount of time as it was already worked into their class load. It can’t be assumed that once the parks reopen that the CP CMs will have the availability to go back to work at Disney.

My Cousin’s 20yo daughter was hired in Feb for a 3 month work term as an International CM. Her work term was to be May-Aug. Not sure if it will be happening at all but even if it does she does not have the option to extend her work term as, all being well, she will begin her college classes in September.

I’m sure many others are in similar circumstances and schooling does not offer them the option of returning to WDW..

I honestly believe that if they re-open, they will be reopened in some sort of restricted level. I think this is going to happen pretty much everywhere. Movie theaters opening with every other seat policies. Disney as I said might go to 100% Fast passes and restrict # of people in line - only mobile ordering. Limit # of people in the parks to say 50% capacity.

I honestly wonder if it's less about Disney offering limited experiences when reopening (therefore less CMs) and more about Disney not wanting the liability of housing all of these people in close quarters so soon after this pandemic.

Disney HATES liability.

Pretty sure all companies hate liability. Kind of hard not to when people sue over bird attacks on property.

I honestly wonder if it's less about Disney offering limited experiences when reopening (therefore less CMs) and more about Disney not wanting the liability of housing all of these people in close quarters so soon after this pandemic.

Disney HATES liability.

also the CP housing is considered dorms, so until universities go back and dorm living is allowed again they can't have them living there

I honestly believe that if they re-open, they will be reopened in some sort of restricted level. I think this is going to happen pretty much everywhere. Movie theaters opening with every other seat policies. Disney as I said might go to 100% Fast passes and restrict # of people in line - only mobile ordering. Limit # of people in the parks to say 50% capacity.

I think they'll need to severely limit the number of people in the parks too. I kind of wish they could open them up without rides and restaurants and just let people walk around. I guess only APs would go for something like that and they'd have know way to make money so no real reason for them to do it other than to get up and running a little earlier and get some CMs working. I guess they could sell food and merch to try and make money. Or introduce pay for FP and only lets you ride 3 rides all day and that's the only way to ride anything. So very few people in line for the very few rides that are running. Wipe everything down between each ride. Now that I said it, it would be a nightmare even doing that.

I believe WDW and DL are carefully watching how they will reopen the Asian parks and see what works/does not work and take their clues from them.

I saw pics on the weekend of a tourist area that was opened over the weekend in Asia when the state-at-home was lifted, and it was scary busy! People were so thankful to be outside after being in their homes for months that they flocked outside to these attractions in huge numbers.

How Disney reopens the NA parks will probably be greatly influenced by what the Asian parks (and society in general) experiences. Since this is just starting to happen there and no word if the Disney Parks reopening, I can’t even fathom how long it will be for our parks to reopen.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter