News Round Up 2020

I wonder if companies will be able to at least limp along with virtual races or not? I know a few people who do run events every now and then but most of the time it's the experience they enjoy not necessarily running (or power walking or walking) itself so I'm not sure if they would long-term jump on to being virtual. Sadly I think you're right that many of the companies won't survive :(

I think it all depends. There was already some companies out there that just did virtual races and they always seemed like a money grab to me when I'd see them advertised on facebook. As for local org's keeping it going with virtual, where I'm at some have done them and some haven't. My preferred org only did with St. Patrick's day but we shut down the week prior so it's not like they could refund anything. They haven't done any virtual and I would fully support them if they did because I like their in person product.

Another local org, that I've only done one in person race and it was the first at this location, was a mess and I said never again. But they did a social distance run with a fun medal and shirt back when it all started so I did that. They also did a summer camp with different activities people could do to earn badges and stuff rather than one race. I didn't do it but people seemed to really enjoy it. They've kept their already scheduled races and done them virtually and then added a thanksrunning thing people did last week. I think they went about it well in that they created a great facebook community from all of this along with events that were new and kept people engaged. But with that, people are getting tired of the virtuals, even with this org, and aren't signing up. They are having a live one with a very small field tomorrow but were begging for volunteers this morning. Some are ok with it and others aren't but it's one of the first live in the Seattle area since March.

Our hot chocolate run this march just went virtual this week. I also think things like the Rock n Roll series are going to have issues as people are still upset with how this years races, deferrals etc were handled. In person races, once you feel safe to do, will still happen and if the current orgs don't keep going someone else will come along and take some of them over I'm sure. RunDisney will be back and I hope to do W&D in 2022.

I think it all depends. There was already some companies out there that just did virtual races and they always seemed like a money grab to me when I'd see them advertised on facebook. As for local org's keeping it going with virtual, where I'm at some have done them and some haven't. My preferred org only did with St. Patrick's day but we shut down the week prior so it's not like they could refund anything. They haven't done any virtual and I would fully support them if they did because I like their in person product.

Another local org, that I've only done one in person race and it was the first at this location, was a mess and I said never again. But they did a social distance run with a fun medal and shirt back when it all started so I did that. They also did a summer camp with different activities people could do to earn badges and stuff rather than one race. I didn't do it but people seemed to really enjoy it. They've kept their already scheduled races and done them virtually and then added a thanksrunning thing people did last week. I think they went about it well in that they created a great facebook community from all of this along with events that were new and kept people engaged. But with that, people are getting tired of the virtuals, even with this org, and aren't signing up. They are having a live one with a very small field tomorrow but were begging for volunteers this morning. Some are ok with it and others aren't but it's one of the first live in the Seattle area since March.

Our hot chocolate run this march just went virtual this week. I also think things like the Rock n Roll series are going to have issues as people are still upset with how this years races, deferrals etc were handled. In person races, once you feel safe to do, will still happen and if the current orgs don't keep going someone else will come along and take some of them over I'm sure. RunDisney will be back and I hope to do W&D in 2022.
And I think that's a good point about feeling like it's a money grab not that everyone will and you don't want to of course but part of what made it all feel more charitable from the people I know who have done them did it because of everything that went into it from color runs, to big mother's day runs and more. But virtual is better than nothing. In the heart of hearts people want to be charitable though.

I like your optimism about in-person races; it's nice to have some optimism these days :)

And I think that's a good point about feeling like it's a money grab not that everyone will and you don't want to of course but part of what made it all feel more charitable from the people I know who have done them did it because of everything that went into it from color runs, to big mother's day runs and more. But virtual is better than nothing. In the heart of hearts people want to be charitable though.

I like your optimism about in-person races; it's nice to have some optimism these days :)

I don't see a local run org doing it as a money grab, they are trying to stay in business and are a local small business, I'll support that. And the one's here for the most part have had a charity component to them. But like Hot Chocolate, I do because I like the 15k length. Out here there's a ton of 5ks and a ton of halfs but not many 10ks or stuff in between. But they do them all over, while it does raise money for St Jude, I don't know how much actually goes there. But they've got a bunch of others and maybe it's just the timing of my learning about them this year or they are new runs, but they are all virtual and seem like money grabs. I'd rather do a virtual for a local run org whether it's local or in another state, than for the national one's like hot chocolate. Though I am doing that 15k virtually because I want to keep my legacy in tact and it'll be year 4, I get an extra medal at year 5. Plus I'd already registered but will get some of that $ back, which is nice.

The other thing with virutals, for a lot of runners, I can go out an run for free any time I want. I like running the Seafair torchlight run because it uses part of the parade route and people are along it, I don't get that if it's virtual. I like running around all the levels and the field at the Mariners stadium and it's a fundraiser for domestic violence. I did that one virtually but it wasn't the same. I think you'd find that a lot of runners medals all start looking the same because we're running the same races every year because of the race not the medal (though the medals are important, I won't not do a good race because of a junky medal).

I don't see a local run org doing it as a money grab, they are trying to stay in business and are a local small business, I'll support that. And the one's here for the most part have had a charity component to them. But like Hot Chocolate, I do because I like the 15k length. Out here there's a ton of 5ks and a ton of halfs but not many 10ks or stuff in between. But they do them all over, while it does raise money for St Jude, I don't know how much actually goes there. But they've got a bunch of others and maybe it's just the timing of my learning about them this year or they are new runs, but they are all virtual and seem like money grabs. I'd rather do a virtual for a local run org whether it's local or in another state, than for the national one's like hot chocolate. Though I am doing that 15k virtually because I want to keep my legacy in tact and it'll be year 4, I get an extra medal at year 5. Plus I'd already registered but will get some of that $ back, which is nice.

The other thing with virutals, for a lot of runners, I can go out an run for free any time I want. I like running the Seafair torchlight run because it uses part of the parade route and people are along it, I don't get that if it's virtual. I like running around all the levels and the field at the Mariners stadium and it's a fundraiser for domestic violence. I did that one virtually but it wasn't the same. I think you'd find that a lot of runners medals all start looking the same because we're running the same races every year because of the race not the medal (though the medals are important, I won't not do a good race because of a junky medal).
I think the runners I know would really agree with you. And running these events has really gained popularity over the years. I think the interest level is still there, people may be okay with virtual for a while, just to hold over. Here's to hoping they runDisney continues (I've always thought the scenery would be great for those!) and others make it through *fingers crossed*.

This is such an unfathomably bad idea that it’s hard for me to believe this is something Disney is actually considering and not unfounded speculation. Disney makes around 2X per subscriber on Hulu, which is (for most people) ad supported. Hulu also is a cable company with Hulu Plus. It’s also just in the US. There’s no equivalent in most D+ countries. What are they gonna merge in ESPN+ too? No thanks, just leave well enough alone and if you’re that desperate to tinker start offering a bundle that includes Ad Free Hulu.

This is such an unfathomably bad idea that it’s hard for me to believe this is something Disney is actually considering and not unfounded speculation. Disney makes around 2X per subscriber on Hulu, which is (for most people) ad supported. Hulu also is a cable company with Hulu Plus. It’s also just in the US. There’s no equivalent in most D+ countries. What are they gonna merge in ESPN+ too? No thanks, just leave well enough alone and if you’re that desperate to tinker start offering a bundle that includes Ad Free Hulu.

Yeah and that would be one more parental-controlled tech thing I'd have to set up and deal with on top of monitoring everyone's computers. Noooo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter