NJ Earthquake

Not sure, but I thought a magnitude comparison alone might not tell the tale when you're talking about potential effects between different locales? CA has building codes that have attempted to make structures more resistant to the effects of quakes that aren't required in the rest of the country. Don't the different soil and bedrock composition impact the effects as well?
If you watch Mike Holmes on HGTV or DIY, he did a show where he was in California helping build a house. He remarked several times on some of the major differences. In his usual shows, he is usually fixings things that aren't robust enough, in this show he kind of seemed surprised how much stricter California building codes are to withstand earthquakes.

We are in New Jersey about 10 miles east of Philadelphia. I was in a local farm market / garden center and didn't notice it. DH however was in the car & definitely felt it. Said it felt like turbulence.

LOL. For some in California, 4.8 isn't even on the earthquake scale.
On the news they say the difference in the East is the fault line isn't as deep. So it is felt over a bigger area.

Building codes have been revised over the years in areas most prone to earthquakes. Somewhat similar to how building codes have been revised in coastal areas most prone to hurricanes. However, there is currently no way to predict a date/time when an earthquake will occur in a specific area. Perhaps some people are confusing that with sunami alerts that are issued AFTER a large earthquake takes place in the ocean displacing a large amount of water.

Not sure, but I thought a magnitude comparison alone might not tell the tale when you're talking about potential effects between different locales? CA has building codes that have attempted to make structures more resistant to the effects of quakes that aren't required in the rest of the country. Don't the different soil and bedrock composition impact the effects as well?
see below, double post

You could very well be correct as I'm not sure what the building codes are for the rest of the country. I'm glad they were checking the bridges, tunnels and subways for damage.

I guess it's kind of like snow. Here in the mid-Atlantic states a 2" snowfall is nothing -- doesn't disrupt our day at all. But in many areas of the country (like much of California), 2" of snow shuts the area down for 2 days. :D
LOL. That certainly isn't my impression. Seems like the mid-Atlantic states get 2" of snow and the Nightly News calls it "Stormageddon", "Storm of the Century" schools, mass transit shut down. Here, in the Sierra they get 8 inches of snow and the skiers are mad that they had to chain up. But full disclosure, I have only driven in the snow 3 times in my life.

LOL. That certainly isn't my impression. Seems like the mid-Atlantic states get 2" of snow and the Nightly News calls it "Stormageddon", "Storm of the Century" schools, mass transit shut down. Here, in the Sierra they get 8 inches of snow and the skiers are mad that they had to chain up. But full disclosure, I have only driven in the snow 3 times in my life.
It's reverse. The weather people start predicting these massive snowstorms, giving them these nicknames, and then the storm whimpers out. We look out the window and say "that's it?".

I guess it's kind of like snow. Here in the mid-Atlantic states a 2" snowfall is nothing -- doesn't disrupt our day at all. But in many areas of the country (like much of California), 2" of snow shuts the area down for 2 days. :D
You make an excellent point except citing California. It should be OK/TX. California (CalTrans) actually does an excellent job in clearing snow. They have the manpower, plows, etc. OK/TX rarely get snow so they do not invest in the equipment so yes, they close schools for 1" of snow there. Hoping everything is good back east and no cracks in the subways, buildings, etc.

I'm not sure Nightly News is the best source of true conditions -- they tend to over exaggerate and generalize weather reports. I've lived here all of my life and can assure you that while it's happening, no 2" snowfall has ever been referred to as Stormageddon. Of course, I'm probably not home to see the news on those days because 2" is a non-event. We don't even bother to clear the driveway when there is less than 4" of snow unless we see that temps are going to drop to well below freezing for a good stretch after the snowfall -- we don't want it turning to solid ice.

It's reverse. The weather people start predicting these massive snowstorms, giving them these nicknames, and then the storm whimpers out. We look out the window and say "that's it?".
Yes! This happens all the time -- "There's a HUGE storm coming next week and has the potential to bring FEET of snow!!!" Key word being "potential". As the days go by and computer models change the forecast becomes 2-4". If they would just wait to make accumulation predictions, we'd rarely even hear the words "snowmeggedon" or "blizzard"....but that wouldn't get the ratings they're looking for.

You make an excellent point except citing California. It should be OK/TX. California (CalTrans) actually does an excellent job in clearing snow. They have the manpower, plows, etc. OK/TX rarely get snow so they do not invest in the equipment so yes, they close schools for 1" of snow there. Hoping everything is good back east and no cracks in the subways, buildings, etc.
No major damage that I'm aware of. There were a few houses right at the epicenter that have been condemned but everyone got out safely and the buildings were still standing -- just not structurally sound.

If you watch Mike Holmes on HGTV or DIY, he did a show where he was in California helping build a house. He remarked several times on some of the major differences. In his usual shows, he is usually fixings things that aren't robust enough, in this show he kind of seemed surprised how much stricter California building codes are to withstand earthquakes.
Actually the most stringent building codes in the U.S. are in Florida. Overall Canadian building codes are more stringent than most of the U.S., which Holmes has discussed several times in his various shows. Canadian codes don't address the specifics of earthquakes or hurricanes, as CA and FL do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter