No Dreams, No Magic

2.gif

10.gif

Here's hoping I kill this thread.....(even tho I hate to be the 'one' to do it....but, it needs to be put to rest already..... )

Considering the number of people who didn't find your experiences to be as nonmagical as you made it out to be, and the people who agreed with you...it's clearly NOT measurable. When something is defined by opinion and you have a number of people who are of the opinion it's one way and a number of people who are of the opinion that it's another way, then it cannot be definitely measured into one specific way. Measurement implies exactness...and perspective/perception is not an exact science because it changes from person to person. I don't need to be "hooked up with" your director of quality assurance because I know that the bottom line is that the whole thing is based off of customer opinion and opinions can be varying and and even dependent on even the littlest things like having no coffee in the morning when they woke up. This is why I brought up how I could find something marvelously magical while you may find it incredibly dull. You found the CMs handling of irate guests to be nonmagical, and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Right there shows that our perspectives on the matter are very different...and proves my point: that things like this cannot be measured because it's just based on opinion. And when you have a world full of varying opinions, you can't measure it. You may be able to see trends and patterns, but you cannot make an exact measurement or "science" out of it because then that would completely ignore anyone who may have a different perspective.

In this case, your perspective, or opinion, is that you're right on the subject. Others have a very different opinion. Once again showing, it's not something that can be measured when you have people with polar opposite perspectives. But I bet your director of quality assurance has a different opinion on my thoughts. lol

Anyway, since we clearly have different opinions (;)) on this matter, I'm just going to move on.

Customer service is indeed measureable otherwise companies like Service Intelligence wouldn't exist. Measurement of little things like amount of time to Customer acknowledgement, eye contact, smile, etc by CSR's are very common in the most basic of third party measurements. Further detailed measurements exist in complaint handling. Customer perception is key as that is all that service providers like Disney really have. Did my customer leave wanting to come back? Did we meet their expectations? By utilizing third party measuring systems, companies try to minimize the no's to those questions.

Don't defend Disney's overflowing trash cans (or any parks) and say "these poor kids have to work in the sun. boo-hoo." I worked at a dry cleaners all thru high school where it reached 120 deg. in the summer and that's not including humidity. Yes it sucked but also kept me motivated to go to college and get the heck out. Also dh was a welder for many years at the Philly Naval yard and worked in 100 deg. weather in long sleeves, long pants and heavy leather, protective gear and face shield in confined areas. Yes, that sucked too but he did his job well and moved on.
My point is, they're not prisoners. They should either do their job or leave it. It's a free country.
sorry, I'm done ranting.

btw, we went to Busch Gardens, VA this summer and it was beautifully landscaped, clean, full of nice staff and was only $70 for a 7 consecutive day pass for BG and their water park, Water Country USA. I highly recommend it.

I've not once seen an "overflowing trash can" at WDW. Ever. I've been going to WDW since spring of 1972.

Maybe you've seen overflowing trash cans at WDW, I don't know. I'm not "defending" Disney in any way, and often criticize them for many things. But as I pointed out in another thread, Disney, to me, seems a lot cleaner now than it ever did in the 70's and 80's. In fact, I notice MORE trash cleaning CM's recently than I ever did in the 70's and 80's.

Busch Gardens is nice, but what does that have to do with this thread?

I've not once said "these poor kids have to work in the sun. boo-hoo." I've never even used an argument like that.

My grandfather was a welder at the Philly Naval yard during WWII. He, my grandmother, my mom, and several of her sisters lived in a slum in Chester, PA for several years. I don't have the weather records for the WWII-era years he worked there, but I'm guessing he dealt with inclement weather, as we all do at times. He did his job well and moved on, too. But again, what does our common relationship to the Philly Naval shipyard have to do with WDW? :confused3

Please don't quote me, and then attribute thoughts and words to me that I never said. I refuse to be a straw man in anyone's arguments.

I've not once seen an "overflowing trash can" at WDW. Ever. I've been going to WDW since spring of 1972.

Maybe you've seen overflowing trash cans at WDW, I don't know. I'm not "defending" Disney in any way, and often criticize them for many things. But as I pointed out in another thread, Disney, to me, seems a lot cleaner now than it ever did in the 70's and 80's. In fact, I notice MORE trash cleaning CM's recently than I ever did in the 70's and 80's.

Busch Gardens is nice, but what does that have to do with this thread?

I've not once said "these poor kids have to work in the sun. boo-hoo." I've never even used an argument like that.

My grandfather was a welder at the Philly Naval yard during WWII. He, my grandmother, my mom, and several of her sisters lived in a slum in Chester, PA for several years. I don't have the weather records for the WWII-era years he worked there, but I'm guessing he dealt with inclement weather, as we all do at times. He did his job well and moved on, too. But again, what does our common relationship to the Philly Naval shipyard have to do with WDW? :confused3

Please don't quote me, and then attribute thoughts and words to me that I never said. I refuse to be a straw man in anyone's arguments.

If I had that screen name with that avatar I would feel an obligation to end every post with "I must say!"

If I had that screen name with that avatar I would feel an obligation to end every post with "I must say!"

Oh, I do it, quite often, I must say. ;)

But I was little hot under the collar with that last post, so was in no mood to be jovial. I should have replaced my avatar temporarily with one of Bruce Banner getting perturbed and green-eyed. :scared1:

:surfweb:

The name of the milkshake is Orbiting Oreo. It had very little alcohol in it, and yes it was very good. I ordered it for me, and we all tried it. He was acting like i ordered her a beer and gave it to her to drink. She took a sip, and he made a big seen over it. He was just completely rude from the minute he came over to the table.
Ok, I was thinking this had something to do with the DDP. Thought wow they are that strict that they don't allow others in the party to take a drink of your milkshake. I would never have thought it was an alcohlic drink. Guess I am naive. I am very sorry and this may be very controversial, but I don't think that server did anything wrong by questioning your child about drinking an alcoholic beverage, if she was underage. Oops sorry I just reread the thread, maybe she wasn't underage. How old was she?

I don't think the mum had a problem with the manager pointing out the law, I think her problem was the way he approached it asking the daughter for ID instead of addressing the parents.

Customer service is indeed measureable otherwise companies like Service Intelligence wouldn't exist. Measurement of little things like amount of time to Customer acknowledgement, eye contact, smile, etc by CSR's are very common in the most basic of third party measurements. Further detailed measurements exist in complaint handling. Customer perception is key as that is all that service providers like Disney really have. Did my customer leave wanting to come back? Did we meet their expectations? By utilizing third party measuring systems, companies try to minimize the no's to those questions.

You say it's measurable? Try telling that to the people who complain about what we do when we've just spent the entire time bending over backwards for them. I just had this happen today. Had a guest whom I had to wait on hand and foot in spite of the fact we were rather busy and I did need to help other guests. She gave me attitude the entire time and treated me like dirt. I kept smiling and I was very kind to her. Finally when I was ringing her up, I offered her a 15% off her purchase even though she didn't have a coupon (which technically we do need to have). She saved around $20 with that discount. No thank you or anything...in fact, my "reward" for being so nice to her was her going up to my manager to complain what a lousy store we were and that I was a "witch". Other guests did tell my manager what really happened. So let's say this rather rude guest was surveyed, she would most likely complain about our supposed lack of customer service...which would completely skew the results.

Can companies like Service Intelligence spot trends and patterns in customer service? Most definitely. But can it be completely measured? Definitely not. The reason being that so many people have all kind of opinions and you cannot make exact measurements out of opinions. Especially when you have people like I did...where you can do everything perfectly and then some, and that person will still not be happy.

I don't think the mum had a problem with the manager pointing out the law, I think her problem was the way he approached it asking the daughter for ID instead of addressing the parents.
I don't see an issue with asking the daughter for her ID. Perhaps the tact in which is was done could have been better, but I don't find anything wrong with asking the daughter directly for her identification.

You say it's measurable? Try telling that to the people who complain about what we do when we've just spent the entire time bending over backwards for them. I just had this happen today. Had a guest whom I had to wait on hand and foot in spite of the fact we were rather busy and I did need to help other guests. She gave me attitude the entire time and treated me like dirt. I kept smiling and I was very kind to her. Finally when I was ringing her up, I offered her a 15% off her purchase even though she didn't have a coupon (which technically we do need to have). She saved around $20 with that discount. No thank you or anything...in fact, my "reward" for being so nice to her was her going up to my manager to complain what a lousy store we were and that I was a "witch". Other guests did tell my manager what really happened. So let's say this rather rude guest was surveyed, she would most likely complain about our supposed lack of customer service...which would completely skew the results.

Can companies like Service Intelligence spot trends and patterns in customer service? Most definitely. But can it be completely measured? Definitely not. The reason being that so many people have all kind of opinions and you cannot make exact measurements out of opinions. Especially when you have people like I did...where you can do everything perfectly and then some, and that person will still not be happy.

Very good points. However, I will say that I think there is one way customer service is measurable to WDW, although it would be a lagging indicator: attendance. If the majority of people really felt that WDW CM's did not provide good service, they would stop coming. No amount of nostalgia would keep them coming if the customer service completely went to pot. The fact that WDW attendance is going gangbusters right now speaks for itself, IMO.

I see you're from Louisville. Remember how popular King's Island north of Cincy was in the 70's and 80's? It's not now. I attribute this to terrible service, trash all over the place, and exhorbitant prices for food. This is despite the fact that PKI has added an entire new Nickelodeon area for kids, several really good rides, and newer restaurants. Compared to PKI, WDW has incredible service, is pretty much immaculate from what I can tell, and has much better deals on food. This is why I'd much rather spend an extra 9 hours on the road to go to WDW for a week than to get to PKI for a few hours: better service.

I don't see an issue with asking the daughter for her ID. Perhaps the tact in which is was done could have been better, but I don't find anything wrong with asking the daughter directly for her identification.

I see an issue. Apart from embarrassing the girl, he acting very unprofessionally. He could have simply said to the parents could they please not let their daughter drink alcohol on the premises because it could get them into a lot of trouble. Depending on the age of the girl in question, this worker could have embarrassed the girl (if she was in her teens) or even scared her (if she was younger).

If the girl was younger than in her teens, it is even more unbelievable that she was being allowed to drink alcohol. Does noone else see the wrong in underage drinking? And being provided the alcohol by the parent makes it worse. I am sorry, I know this was not the intent of this thread and I am not going to say anything else about this. I am just shocked that noone else seems phased by this child (if she is indeed a child) drinking. They are only upset that the waiter carded her.

Does Florida law require that you keep your alcoholic beverage so many inches away from a minor? I never hear of that state law.:rolleyes:

No, but every state has a law against underage drinking. Your daughter is underage - she was drinking an alcoholic drink. He was probably hoping you'd refrain from giving her another sip.

Sorry, still don't see it as a big deal.

Maybe not a "big deal" in your home, but it is in a public restaurant.

She is 16. I am SURE that I am not the first to let ther teen try a sip of a drink.

No, but most don't do so in a theme park restaurant! You are very lucky that the worst thing that happened is that you were spoken to by security. I have a 16 y.o. DD and I would never, ever consider allowing her to drink in public at Disney or any other restaurant in the U.S. For you to not understand what the big deal is, well, truthfully, that's a bit scary to me.:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter