No DVDS players at DVC anymore?

JessLCH

DIS Veteran
Are DVD players being removed from all DVC Villas? If so why? This is an amenity we use and have come to expect.

None in studios at BWV or Poly recently. They did put in a 55" big screen.

DVC news mentioned in their BLT refurb article:
"Since the renovation involves soft goods, USB outlets are not being added to the BLT villas. Also, like at other Disney resorts, alarm clocks and DVD players are no longer standard amenities.

Nobody ever bothered to tell DVC that they still used them so they decided everybody streams or brings their own player. :rolleyes1

(Yes, I'm annoyed with changes that DVC is making based on "complaints" or proclaimed changes to industry standards. I have yet to stay in a hotel or motel without a clock since Disney declared its now standard and DVD players never were a standard at hotels nor even in Disneys hotels. There were a home away from home amenity in the DVC villas. Now they're removing ceiling fans and jetted tubs at BCV and VB).

So what will be the point of having the DVD library available for members? DVD's in the room with some popcorn were a great afternoon getaway from the parks. In fact, at HHI one year, it rained most of the day so we binge-watched a bunch of Disney movies in our room. I just don't understand why they are taking them out. DVD players cost about $80 brand new so I can't imagine it is a huge expense for them.

Nobody ever bothered to tell DVC that they still used them so they decided everybody streams or brings their own player. :rolleyes1

(Yes, I'm annoyed with changes that DVC is making based on "complaints" or proclaimed changes to industry standards. I have yet to stay in a hotel or motel without a clock since Disney declared its now standard and DVD players never were a standard at hotels nor even in Disneys hotels. There were a home away from home amenity in the DVC villas. Now they're removing ceiling fans and jetted tubs at BCV and VB).

Next will be the kitchens, not enough guests like to cook so they will be removing the stoves and installing DVC merchandise vending machines in the one-bedroom units and above. :-)

:earsboy: Bill

I think one of the issues at BWV and Poly is with the new pulldown beds, the ledge under the TV is not big enough for a DVD. Did they remove them out of 1 bedrooms?

So what will be the point of having the DVD library available for members? DVD's in the room with some popcorn were a great afternoon getaway from the parks. In fact, at HHI one year, it rained most of the day so we binge-watched a bunch of Disney movies in our room. I just don't understand why they are taking them out. DVD players cost about $80 brand new so I can't imagine it is a huge expense for them.
For $60 you can easily get a basic BluRay player
(It won't be a 4K, 3D, wifi streaming apps one ... But they don't need those features)

I just Checked the DVC website and DVDs are still listed as an amenity in the room, including Bay Lake Tower which is what DVC News's article was about.

I think one of the issues at BWV and Poly is with the new pulldown beds, the ledge under the TV is not big enough for a DVD.

That's an excellent point. We stayed in both a renovated BCV studio [had the pulldown bed] and AKV value studio in late May. The BCV studio didn't have a DVD player, but the AKV did. And the AKV studio still had a ceiling fan. :rolleyes:

DVD players cost about $80 brand new so I can't imagine it is a huge expense for them.
I've seen DVD players being sold for as little as $10, probably due to the push for Blu ray. I can't imagine that in the quantity Disney buys them, they'd be paying more than $10 each.

I think it's ridiculous to take out the DVD player AND the clock and not have it request-available for those of us who liked both. We used both all the time.

They want you out of your room, spending money somewhere. Really. Having good entertainment available in your room is a deterrent to that.

May be ridiculous but my dh reached his tipping point last night. We used the DVD player every day. Dinner and movie night is one of the highlights and cosiest part of our trips. It's a deal breaker. That coupled with the gold pass and its blackout dates, rides not operating at capacity and all the other ever increasing costs and he's done. Our points are going on the market. We have 860, so we were not once every year or two guests. Disney used to get a big chunk of our disposable income. It's going elsewhere now.

I think it's ridiculous to take out the DVD player AND the clock and not have it request-available for those of us who liked both. We used both all the time.

AFAIK they are available upon request. The issue most reported though is the amount of time it takes to have one brought to the room so if you do want these items you should request them as soon as you get to your room.

this is a feature we loved...we may just bring one next trip for DD! Do you all think (or know) if they still offer the rentals at community hall? We spend a lot of time at the resort now that we are DVC and going to CH and choosing a movie is one of DDs favorite things!

AFAIK they are available upon request. The issue most reported though is the amount of time it takes to have one brought to the room so if you do want these items you should request them as soon as you get to your room.
I had heard they didn't have any to request but I will try when there in September. I must admit that occasionally they gave us operating trouble and DH would walk to the Front Desk to get more specific instructions. Sometimes no problem, sometimes a problem. Possibly that was one of the reasons they decided to get rid of them in light of the problems with the clock radio. We did miss both the last 2 trips though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter