No DVDS players at DVC anymore?

Next will be the kitchens, not enough guests like to cook so they will be removing the stoves and installing DVC merchandise vending machines in the one-bedroom units and above. :-)

:earsboy: Bill

I know it's not DVC, but this is essentially what they just did with the fort wilderness cabin refurbishments.

This is why I'll never buy DVC. Doing so doesn't take into account how the experience, at the resorts and/or at the parks, might change in the years to come, and whether or not it will continue to feel worth the big investment.

Believe me many of us are very satisfied with DVC and our purchase. I don't know if others have really bad luck, or they complain more easily about things that don't bother others but I am sure there are many other satisfied members.

To the best of my recollection, DVD players were not one of the original amenities for the studios. They were only in the one bedrooms and larger villas and added to the studios later. Not sure when.

Just a bit of trivia that may be a figment of my imagination. :)

Yes, just get a $29 DVD player and a $10 alarm clock at Walmart and put them in your owner's locker or in your luggage, if those are important to you. I agree that a Roku stick and your cell phone might be better though, technology has moved on. And Pro tip at BLT- the USB port on the back of the TV will charge things.

To the best of my recollection, DVD players were not one of the original amenities for the studios. They were only in the one bedrooms and larger villas and added to the studios later. Not sure when.

Just a bit of trivia that may be a figment of my imagination. :)
I recalled something like that, too.

I had to double-check that DVD players in studios were listed in recent documentation.

I wrote to MS, this was the answer......

We appreciate your interest in your Membership and are happy to assist
you further.

Yes, the DVC players in the rooms are going away. I apologize for the
inconvenience. There are no plans to replace them and both DVC Players
and Movies will be going away without the option to request them.

We were in the group that watched at least a few movies every trip.

This makes me sad. I always do a solo spring break vacation and use that time to lay around and watch all the movies I have missed in the past year. I will certainly be one of the folks requesting a dvd player and will not be happy if one is not available.

It's not like they have HBO or Showtime for you to watch movies, either. Just basic cable. How am I supposed to get "in the mood" with no movies?

I wrote to MS, this was the answer......

We appreciate your interest in your Membership and are happy to assist
you further.

Yes, the DVC players in the rooms are going away. I apologize for the
inconvenience. There are no plans to replace them and both DVC Players
and Movies will be going away without the option to request them.

We were in the group that watched at least a few movies every trip.

Perhaps DVC should consider free streaming of/access to Disney movies to replace the DVD players & DVDs.

LAX

Perhaps DVC should consider free streaming of/access to Disney movies to replace the DVD players & DVDs.

LAX

That would be wonderful. I hate watching a TV show with 40 mins of show and 20 mins of commercials. And we just aren't 14 hr park day people any more. If fact last trip, we were 5 hrs in park, 2-3 hrs in room, 4 hrs in park. And then on moving day ( we did three resorts), it was only about 4 hrs in a park if any at all. My DH's knees just don't last that long anymore.

Seriously, not just getting rid of the players, but also the movies down in the Community Halls?

We use the DVD player a lot. I found the high tech clock annoying. Could never set it. What kind of clock can you request?

I know it makes people sad when things change and the perceived loss of an amenity that made DVC special compared to the other resorts also hits the emotions too, especially if you took advantage of it and it was part of the fun of your trip.

But really, what you are buying in DVC is a prepaid room in amazing locations. I bought in 1999 and now for my half of the dues (share it with ex) I stay in accommodations that would cost thousands at rack rate for hundreds in dues. for $50 and a DVD sleeve you can have your amenities back... take it out of the money you have saved on deluxe accommodations over the years. For new owners I don't know how the math works out anymore but for people who remember what we had back in the day... you've gotten your money's worth out of DVC.

I already said this, but seriously -- look into getting a Roku, Chromecase, or Fire stick. They're cheap, compact, have an easy-to-use remote, and are in HD. You can stream Netflix or anything else you want in HD. There are tons of channels for everything, including most cable channels and broadcast TV channels.

Times and technology always change. Remember when they took away keyboards from our phones? It's just another thing to adapt to. Order one and set it up at home, then bring it with you or put it in your owner's locker. You'll readily have access to a ton of HD content.

I'll be at BCV in September; you can thank me for the advice then. :D

I am puzzled by those that suggest "bring your own" options. Sure, there are tons of things I can bring to replace whatever Disney decides to take away, but that's a form of devaluation of the DVC membership, IMHO.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter