Non Fancy Fanatics Head to the Grand Floridian

DisneyRegulars

DIS Veteran
It's that most wonderful time of year again where Grizzly and I get to take an adults only trip down to our favorite place. Thank you Grandma for watching our beast!!!! This will be our third year in a row escaping from our now 4 year old son. In case you've never travelled along with me on a trip report before, let me introduce myself and fellow traveller. Your narrator, me, is 32 years young. As mentioned above I have a four year old son, and have been married to Grizzly for 12 years this July. Yes, I was one of those crazy people that got married at age 20. I'm in the midst of a career change, and start a new job in a new city in August. Things are pretty hectic right now as we try to sell our house, save as much money for our new house, and get all the other necessary evils of moving in line. It's the perfect time for a Disney trip to get away from all the stress. In my spare time when I'm not relocating, planning Disney trips or visiting Disney I can be found on the couch after my son goes to bed watching lousy reality tv (Teen Mom makes me feel like the best mom ever!) But mostly I'm just your everyday working mom trying to survive until the weekend.

Travelling with me is my husband Grizzly. His current interests have not changed much since the last few trip reports. He still loves to watch ghost shows and zombie shows. Oooooh, but there is one change. We found a ghostish show we can watch together, and are currently working our way through all the past seasons of Long Island Medium. Finally a ghost show we can both enjoy! Except I'm so sick of crying! Anyways...back to the trip report.

This year we are travelling a little earlier than our anniversary to enjoy lower crowds. Since we had to move the trip up a week to take advantage of our annual passes, we figured we might as well move it waaaaaaay up. At the 7th month mark I was able to snag a Standard View Grand Floridian Villa Studio. I'm very excited about it! I feel like this may be one of our only chances to stay here. However, I have some reservations about our stay because we are not fancy people. I'm a t-shirt and shorts kind of girl. I don't own any makeup, nor expensive purses, nor do I wear any sort of shoes with heels. I associate the Grand Floridian with a certain level of sophistication/snobbery/foofooness that I just don't fit into. I picture fancy hats, white pants/shorts, matching fancy footwear, and glasses of wine while merely glancing at the pool because you're just to fancy to actually have fun in the pool. I can just see all you GFV owners bristling at that, but please don't. I'm heading over to try the GFV because I'm sure in person it will change my mind. I hope. I really really hope. Okay, I'm not even that sure in person it will change my mind. But come along with me and find out.

On the docket for our 4 days / 4 nights starting April 30th are an Ohana reservation for Thursday night which I was just able to snag now for the reasonable hour of 6:40pm. My first reservation was for 9:50pm. Who eats at 9:50pm? Why do they even have this slot available? We also have the Expedition Everest run and post run party at Animal Kingdom on Saturday. We are not at all fit right now, and will most likely be trying to make our way through this 'race' at a brisk walk. I hope we don't embarrass ourselves, and that we still have fun.

With the recent news of the 4th and more FP+, I may try to play with that to test the waters and see how it works. I'm very curious to see if using the 4th and onwards FP+'s you are able to schedule any head liners in the other parks.

We also want to do lots of drinking and lots of eating. In particular I'm excited about trying the Avocado Martini at the Tequila Bar in the Mexico Pavilion. We would also like to find the food trucks in Downtown Disney as well. So come along with me as we explore the GFV and the adult side of Disney.

Overall, the trip is a totally different line up from our crazy attempt to do the Ultimate Magic Kingdom tour last July.

The cast:

Me and my son. We are leaving my son at home though:
IMG_6479_zpsfcd461b2.jpg

My husband Grizzly also with son whom we are leaving at home:
4fd711db-6016-47f0-8383-be15eec26d05_zpsc0b0da11.jpg

(DNRTL)Trip Stats:
Arrival 9:30 pm Wednesday April 30th
Depart 8:00pm Sunday May 4th
Staying at: GFV Studio Standard View
Dinner Reservations: Ohana
Other Events: Expedition Everest Challenge
Goals: Relax!!!!!!!!!! Drink and Eat!

Following along. I love your TR, and with DD14, we may be able to use some of your adult tips. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Enjoy! We would also leave the kids at home. But occasionally we would take them. ;)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I can't wait to hear what you thought about the Grand Floridian. We are going in Aug.

Wishing you Pixie Dust for a magical trip!

Excited to read your trip report- I have been following along on your other one. We added on points at the Grand Floridian Villas and I am afraid too that it will be too stuffy there. We only bought there because that is what was on sale right now and I just wanted to add on a few more points to use on this trip. Not staying there this upcoming trip but I am sure we will in the future since you can't beat the location so I am very curious to see what you think!

Here as always. DH and I just did a quick 2 day at BWV. The kid free time and PoV is so fun!! Can't wait to hear how it goes esp GFV. We were on the monorail to go visit them and he said "nah, it's so not us" lol. I'm curious!!

I can't wait to hear more. I am also a no makeup t-shirt and jeans kind of girl and would have never thought that I would be able to relax at the Grand. Fast forward to our family staying there in 2007 for DD's first trip and I fell in love. We absolutely felt comfortable and like we belonged, truth be told we had that sophistication/snobbery/foofooness like we don't fit in feeling when we stayed at Beach Club. Fast forward and we now own at VGF. So relax and enjoy and know that even us down to earth girls in flip flops fit right in.

Following along. I love your TR, and with DD14, we may be able to use some of your adult tips. Enjoy!

So happy to have you along! I'll try to scope out some things that would have appealed to 14 year old me.

Enjoy! We would also leave the kids at home. But occasionally we would take them. ;)
Ha! After last trip our son Tigger will be lucky if he gets to go again! Can't wait to leave the poor guy at home.

I can't wait to hear what you thought about the Grand Floridian. We are going in Aug.

Wishing you Pixie Dust for a magical trip!
Welcome! Thanks for joining me. I'm super excited about checking out the Grand Floridian too.

Excited to read your trip report- I have been following along on your other one. We added on points at the Grand Floridian Villas and I am afraid too that it will be too stuffy there. We only bought there because that is what was on sale right now and I just wanted to add on a few more points to use on this trip. Not staying there this upcoming trip but I am sure we will in the future since you can't beat the location so I am very curious to see what you think!

We bought points at SSR before staying there and thankfully we loved it. And you're right, the GFV does have a great location. I'll let you know what I think, but I really hope you love it when you get a chance to stay there.

Here as always. DH and I just did a quick 2 day at BWV. The kid free time and PoV is so fun!! Can't wait to hear how it goes esp GFV. We were on the monorail to go visit them and he said "nah, it's so not us" lol. I'm curious!!

Ha! That's what my husband thinks too. He begrudgingly let me change our reservation to stay there, but only because he knew that in future years it would be much much harder, and he would like to stay at every resort at least once. I'm racking my brain though, and maybe it's because I've been up since 1:40am, but I can't for the life of me figure out was PoV is. Help!

I can't wait to hear more. I am also a no makeup t-shirt and jeans kind of girl and would have never thought that I would be able to relax at the Grand. Fast forward to our family staying there in 2007 for DD's first trip and I fell in love. We absolutely felt comfortable and like we belonged, truth be told we had that sophistication/snobbery/foofooness like we don't fit in feeling when we stayed at Beach Club. Fast forward and we now own at VGF. So relax and enjoy and know that even us down to earth girls in flip flops fit right in.

Soooooo good to hear this! I'm a little more excited now. I've never stayed at the Beach Club, but I do get that same stuffy feeling walking through the Yatch Club. Can't wait to see how VGF is. I think also as I get older and have done more work on my house I have begun to appreciate all the details a little more, and I think I might like the fanciness of the VGF rooms even though I'm not too fancy. I guess I'm just mostly concerned about the other resort guests and staff. We'll see. Only 2 more days!!!!!

I hope you enjoy your adult time at the Grand Floridian. Good luck with the race!!

I will be interested in your views on the Grand Floridian as I have not stayed there yet.

I followed your last TR and hope Tigger is feeling better. :)

Kelly

I hope you enjoy your adult time at the Grand Floridian. Good luck with the race!!

I will be interested in your views on the Grand Floridian as I have not stayed there yet.

I followed your last TR and hope Tigger is feeling better. :)

Kelly

Great to have you along again! Our goal for the race is to not die. Seem manageable enough. Thanks for asking about Tigger, he's definitely well recovered from his January bug, thank goodness! I have my fingers crossed that I will not be spending nearly as much time in park bathrooms as last trip.

My husband and I have never taken a kid-free trip so I'm kinda envious, though my kids haven't needed a babysitter for a long time - we do go out without them a few times each trip to have dinner (bluezoo) or drink around the WS.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and I look forward to hearing about it!

POV = point of view. LOL. Get some sleep. Not like you're not under tremendous stress now too.

I got some sleep! (Turned off my son's monitor and told him if he needed me he would have to come in my room to get me. Worked like a charm. Should have thought of this months ago) Anyways...Never would have come up with 'point of view' I was totally thinking restaurants or other adult themed disney attractions and nothing was coming up.

Can't help but think the flight down is going to be fun! We will probably make some great friends too seeing as we won't be flying again until after all these guys expire, and I would hate for them to go to waste. Three will probably be about my limit, Grizzly will probably be about the same, maybe 4. That leaves me 9 coupons to be the drink fairy with. Has anybody ever just tried to buy the little bottles from the stewardess? They wouldn't just give me 9 bottles 'to go' would they?

Here they are, 16 beautiful free drink coupons:
20140430_082602_resized_zpsd16ec5be.jpg

On a recent Southwest flight, my husband and I sat next to two guys who were also nice enough to share their drink coupons with us! It was a great flight :thumbsup2 Thank goodness for Magical Express.

I don't know about the little bottles, but lately the flight attendants on SW have been kind of crabby, so I doubt they'd do it. When we drink, we get doubles, and that seems to irritate some of them.

On a recent Southwest flight, my husband and I sat next to two guys who were also nice enough to share their drink coupons with us! It was a great flight :thumbsup2 Thank goodness for Magical Express.

I don't know about the little bottles, but lately the flight attendants on SW have been kind of crabby, so I doubt they'd do it. When we drink, we get doubles, and that seems to irritate some of them.

I wonder if your crabby flight attendants were former Air Tran employees, so maybe they just don't have the same Southwest Spirit. I've had good luck lately with SW flight attendants, the past few flights I've laughed during their safety briefings. Still hoping to get one of the ones that sings or raps the safety briefing though.

Holy baloney! Our room has the most incredible standard view ever!!! Unfortunately we will be leaving it in a few minutes, can't wait to show you pictures though. We'll see how our next view compares, but after this one I think it will be pathetic. Just a quick update, so many stories anyway to share. So great view = 1428, but we're leaving because it's handicap accessible and Grizzly is very upset about not having the fancy shower. There's only one tub/shower in this room! I think a family of five would be terribly disappointed to get it, despite the marvelous view.

I've read about a few people getting HA rooms that don't need them. Glad they were happy to switch you. Good luck with your new view.

They must have thought one shower would be enough for you and your husband. They probably give the two shower rooms to larger groups.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter