North Carolina

withay said:
I'm out in Knightdale..where are you?

About five miles from 40/42, just inside Wake Co. We are equa-distance from Garner, Fuquay, Clayton, and Angier.

Oh, BTW, we are driving to the World in 17 days, and flying in September!

I leave on the 8th and we are flying. I went to three..count 'em THREE home depots around raleigh and could only scrounge up 10 alien green mickey heads...did you take 'em all?? haha!

withay said:
I leave on the 8th and we are flying. I went to three..count 'em THREE home depots around raleigh and could only scrounge up 10 alien green mickey heads...did you take 'em all?? haha!

I got two at the Cary Crossroads location. These are small, I made my own last year but I didn't have no one to notice me. My husband was glad, once I start talking I don't know how to stop. :wave:

withay said:

Uhhh....I only hit the one in Garner. I only got 15 because my children told on me!

sorul82? said:
Uhhh....I only hit the one in Garner. I only got 15 because my children told on me!

I went to the one in Knightdale, and got the wrong color! They didn't even have a slot for Alien Green..only Sonic Boom. Then I tried the one on Capital Blvd, and they only had 3, and then I went to the one in Garner and got about 8. Maybe I'll try the one in Cary...

Okay so what do you do with these things? I have heard people talk about them but couldn't figure out what they were for.

My DS who is 2 going on 3 keeps asking to go to Disney. So, that means we have to go. ;) So, I'm looking at the Sept 30th weekend since it is the end of the preschool promo and the beginning of Food & Wine.

My husband says, but we went last Oct. I said I'm fine with my son going to Disney every year of his childhood. :rotfl:

With a kid this young I have to fly. We live in Raleigh very near the airport (Stonehenge subdiv.). Nothing beats being in Orlando in 3 hours (total time) vs. 10 hours driving time.

My son watched a travel channel show about Disney, started insisting that we go right then to Disney. I asked if I had to turn off the show, because we weren't going right then, he said yes. He couldn't watch it anymore, he had to be there. Definitely my son! :love:

TruBlu said:
They have TONS of them in Hillsborough!! :cool1:
Hey, I'm in Hillsborough, about a mile from that HD. I got some Mickey Heads there, but I am not too impressed with the customer service at that store. They need to take a lesson from the Disney CM's!

Marsha

Hey Wake Countyians (is that a word?!?!) Anybody else doing the dance over our new K'dale Target!?! :banana: I have only been 5 or so times already!

I just think that's so hilarious that we probably see each other stealing Mickeys at the Home Depot (of course, they are free so it's not really stealing!)

SLDL said:
Hey Wake Countyians (is that a word?!?!) Anybody else doing the dance over our new K'dale Target!?! :banana: I have only been 5 or so times already!

I just think that's so hilarious that we probably see each other stealing Mickeys at the Home Depot (of course, they are free so it's not really stealing!)

DO YOU LIVE IN KNIGHTDALE?!? i do! i've frequented that target..the worst for my checking account! just to let you know--home depot doesn't have alien green mickey heads..they have an empty slot.. DISers maybe keeping our BRAND NEW home depot from having any..or maybe you grabbed them all??

SLDL said:

How exciting. We used to live over in east Raleigh but did a lot of our shopping in Knightdale. A Target there would have been so convenient. We are in North Raleigh now so I don't get out that way much. I'll have to make a trip and check it out.

We live right outside Asheville, NC :)

We are trying to determine... is it better / cheaper to fly or drive. I think it would be cheaper to drive, since we'd have to rent a car while there anyway.

What do you all think?

Hey! Well, I a Johnstonian (JoCoGirls ROCK!) but I live just outside Zebulon--around Five County Stadium (GO MUDCATS!!) My DD (3) and I have visited the new Target a few times. We love the $1 bins at the front with all the "teacher supplies."
What is the deal with the Mickey's at Home Depot, I must have missed out on the meaning behind these. Are they with the paint chips? Do they have any meaning? Please inform me!!! Feeling so out of the loop on this one!
Who's ready for the cooler weather of fall already? I know I am, for one. Bring on September and football! (would rather watch basketball any day, though)
Well, I'll see you all at the Target...I'll be the one with the overloaded buggy!

Eoywin said:
We live right outside Asheville, NC :)

We are trying to determine... is it better / cheaper to fly or drive. I think it would be cheaper to drive, since we'd have to rent a car while there anyway.

What do you all think?
Oh, from Asheville, I think driving would be okay if you wanted to save money. Wouldn't you have to drive to a lager airport to even get a flight to Orlando? Which then means you have drive AND fly.
I guess the best bet is to wait until the 90- or 60- days before your trip and then check out some travel sites to see if there are any really cheap airfares to MCO.

On another note, how is A-town these days? I went to college at UNCA in the mid to late 90's. I liked the city. Very unique place. I loved going to all the coffee houses and bars. Every one was laid back.

Sorry so late to this thread. Has anyone taken the train from Raleigh to Orlando/Kissimmee? If so, what did you do for transport from Amtrak to WDW on arrival?

We are going (me, DW, twin DD4) Sept 23rd to 30th and staying at POR, MNSSHP on 9/29. (Anybody doing MNSHHP on that date?) Leaving Raleigh 9:15 pm via Amtrak from the Raleigh station on the 23rd.

Oh, and we live out by Lake Wheeler South of Raleigh.

I have been on the Amtrak before, but in the wrong direction--to Washington DC.. Sorry I won't be of much help! But, my mom and I were wondering--how long is the train ride to Orlando?

marygraycesmom said:
Oh, from Asheville, I think driving would be okay if you wanted to save money. Wouldn't you have to drive to a lager airport to even get a flight to Orlando? Which then means you have drive AND fly.
I guess the best bet is to wait until the 90- or 60- days before your trip and then check out some travel sites to see if there are any really cheap airfares to MCO.

On another note, how is A-town these days? I went to college at UNCA in the mid to late 90's. I liked the city. Very unique place. I loved going to all the coffee houses and bars. Every one was laid back.

We could fly right from Asheville, but it would be more expensive than driving to Atlanta or Charlotte, and flying from there.

It's nice, though we haven't seen much of what Asheville has to offer... we just moved here last fall, and haven't had much time to do anything... yet anyway.

hbehrman said:
Sorry so late to this thread. Has anyone taken the train from Raleigh to Orlando/Kissimmee? If so, what did you do for transport from Amtrak to WDW on arrival?

We are going (me, DW, twin DD4) Sept 23rd to 30th and staying at POR, MNSSHP on 9/29. (Anybody doing MNSHHP on that date?) Leaving Raleigh 9:15 pm via Amtrak from the Raleigh station on the 23rd.

Oh, and we live out by Lake Wheeler South of Raleigh.

We rented a car from Enterprise for the week and they picked us up. It was around $130 for the week. You can get a towncar both ways for around $90. I think Sunray was the one we had quoted. We were going to Universal for dinner, so we figured renting a car was worth it.

My son and I rode the Amtrak to Orlando in March and I was not impressed. It was late arriving to pick us up(1 1/2 hours) and then 2-3 hours late getting into Orlando. The Amtrak has to stop for freight trains and pull onto a siding. We waited 15-45 minutes several times on the way there. On the way back, train was late again, we arrived back in Raleigh about 4 hours behind schedule, a train broke down in front of us and we sat for over an hour.

The other thing that bothered me is that at neither the Orlando nor the Raleigh station did they check carryon bags or people for guns, etc. No metal detectors, nothing. Maybe its just me, but that was a little scary.

The coach seats are fine for sitting, but sleeping for adults is almost impossible. If possible, I would get a sleeper.

At the Raleigh station, as you are coming in the station door, the train loads from the door on the RIGHT. They don't tell you this until they call for boarding and we were at the other door. Got there before almost everyone, but because they don't have assigned seats, we were almost split up. We WERE split up from our friends.

If you take Amtrak:

1. Expect and plan for delays.
2. Bring your own pillow and blanket. It gets cold and their pillows are nasty and they CHARGE for blankets
3. Bring your own snacks and drinks. The ones on the train are expensive and the snack car can be a long walk.
4. Bring lots of things to keep the kids entertained.
5. Bring pop-tarts or something for breakfast--the one in the dining card is not that great and big bucks
6. You can bring 2 carryons each onto the train, not including purses, pillows, backpacks. If possible carryon all your luggage, so you can save some time when you arrive in Orlando.
7. Orlando stop is first, but supposedly Kissimmee is nicer(I got off in Orlando, because I was DONE with the train and I was fine there waiting for our rental car)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. We will NEVER ride the Amtrak again. We are driving down at the end of this month.

Oh, and I believe the ride is SUPPOSED to be 13 hours......Usually end up more like 15, if you add in time it was supposed to pick you up and when it actually arrives
Marsha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter