• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Norwegian Cruise Lines CEO: "Enough is Enough"

The CDC is against cruise travel because cruise travel is a very, very bad idea right now. It’s foolish to cram thousands of people on board a ship in the middle of the pandemic. Sorry you gave to wait to vacation on cruises for a while, but it would be very irresponsible to subject cruise employees to this virus. Why would you want to push for something you know will kill people? No ports will allow docking anyway.

And as one of the at least 19 million that has had a confirmed case of Covid-19 and recovered, I should now be able to go on a cruise without much risk to myself or others. I actually think that article is encouraging: it mentions other cruises sailing without any positive cases or others with just one positive case. I wish we had those kinds of positivity rates where I live, but it is much higher here, probably because hardly anyone around here wears masks or distances, and everyone on a cruise ship would have to.
your immunity doesn’t last but a few months. Please don’t be overconfident, you can catch this again.

The CDC can only actively regulate such things as they have specific power to regulate.

They have jurisdiction in fed areas like ports of entries (airports) and in U.S. airspace (onboard planes). To this day there is still no CDC mask requirement at airports or on planes, only internal airline policies that didn’t even start until mid May. The CDC could have stepped in during the beginning and required masks at airports an on airplanes when the airlines wouldn’t but they did nothing and stopped at cruise ban. To this day there is nothing an airline can do about a person refusing to wear a mask other than refuse you future service since there is no CDC mask requirements in planes. You can walk all over a plane and spread all the Covid you want and all the airline can do is refuse you future service on their airline. If we truly stand for those that have died from Covid, we should ask why the CDC has just stopped at cruise ban?

Who is to say that if the CDC actually had oversight of these other businesses that they wouldnt be preventing it. The CDC isnt so much singling out cruise lines, Its just exercising control over the one thing it can.

I feel that if someone doesn’t have the same opinion or beliefs that I do, it doesn’t mean they don’t have common sense. Just means they do not think like I do.
Something to consider. Cruise ships, nursing homes and college dorms, because they are all places where large numbers of people are together in a confined space, have been linked in coronavirus prevention. Nursing homes have been devastated from the beginning of the covid-19 pandemic because they could not shut down. Cruise ships and college dorms were able to shutdown. But some College Dorms have reopened in the past two weeks, and rapidly closed because of a wildfire spread of covid-19. California State University Chico* didn't make it to the start of school, the outbreak of covid-19 spread so fast between dorm move in day to the school start that they shutdown.
I have to think that everyone making decisions about the cruise industry has to be looking at that.
What's worse? Waiting, saving lives, and losing money. Or moving forward, risking lives, staffing up, having to shutdown and losing even more money? Every test I apply to cruising......health risk........financial risk.....and moral responsibility is indicating it's too soon to reopen.

*https://edsource.org/2020/despite-i...ol-rising-coronavirus-cases-off-campus/639644

(Sarcasm ON) You're right. Think of all the people that the government put out of work by stopping children from smoking and drinking. From farmers to retail clerks. And don't even get me started on those pesky speed limits and school crossings. When will the sheep learn that keeping people from harm actually causes problems for other people. (Sarcasm Off)
Thanks for pointing out the sarcasm. I never would have guessed that such an incongruous comparison and dramatic response was not serious.

Our priorities are not out of whack, this is a cruising forum. So naturally it will hold those who want to discuss and resume cruising. If you are so against cruising, why come to a cruising forum? There are many Disboard forums for things other than cruising. I cannot tell if it’s just an effort to pick fights or just to stir up stuff. If the concept of resuming cruising disturbs you that much, then you’re in for a lifetime of disappointment on a cruising forum.

People who enjoy taking cruises but think it's not a smart move to start up the ships right now should feel free to be here and post. Saying things should open 100 times a day doesn't mean they should. Do I want to take another cruise? Yes. Now? Not a chance. Not only do I not want to get sick, but I wouldn't want to transmit a deadly virus to the nice people whose towns I would like to visit. I also would not want to fly home afterwards and spread something to my own neighborhood. When you want to do something that is unnecessary and has the potential to harm others, and you don't care about that harm, it says something about your priorities. You can't address the "but the economy" part of this until you address the pandemic itself.

Just 2 more weeks to control the spread guys...(25+ weeks later). At some point you have to accept that you’re ok with the overton window has long been shifted or you can stand up and say that enough is enough. We can debate the minutiae of r1-2 values and susceptibility of population groups all day. But this is a cruising forum.

I want cruising to recommence ASAP. It’s my choice to go on a ship just as it is the workers who want to get back to working. Nobody is forcing the naysayers to go on a ship. Don’t want to cruise? Cool. Want to go on a cruise? Cool. Saying someone lacks common sense for wanting to cruise (and saying so on a cruising forum) is asinine at best.

Do I have concerns about the safety of cruising right now and understand that the threat of spread onboard is high? Absolutely. But I understand the frustration of the CEO too. The cruise line industry has been devastated, and at the rate things are going, they will not be resuming any time soon. I can’t begin to imagine their worry of how things will play out if cruises continued to be banned well into 2021. If we need to wait for a vaccine or the risk of spread to be close to zero, then the cruise lines are doomed. I’m not saying today, or next month, but at some point they need to be given an opportunity to begin operations in some form with safety protocols, like every other industry on earth.

I want cruising to recommence ASAP. It’s my choice to go on a ship just as it is the workers who want to get back to working. Nobody is forcing the naysayers to go on a ship. Don’t want to cruise? Cool. Want to go on a cruise? Cool. Saying someone lacks common sense for wanting to cruise (and saying so on a cruising forum) is asinine at best.

How can we be this late in the game and someone *still* thinks this is a good argument with this disease? What you do, affects others. Full stop.

I want to cruise. I dont want to kill someone else because I cant enjoy a lower risk vacation.

Just 2 more weeks to control the spread guys...(25+ weeks later). At some point you have to accept that you’re ok with the overton window has long been shifted or you can stand up and say that enough is enough. We can debate the minutiae of r1-2 values and susceptibility of population groups all day. But this is a cruising forum.

Newsflash. Even if the CDC gives the green light, Disney won’t resume until they are confident they can operate without an outbreak. They aren’t just going to resume cruising because there are some people (with questionable judgment) who are willing to go. They are not going to put their CMs at risk. Some of you all really need a reality check here.

To start cruising again then have to shut it all down again would be devastating. It’s not happening until they are confident they can operate without issue. Oh, and be profitable.

I’m on this forum because I love DCL! But using common sense, it is clear cruising with Disney won’t happen anytime soon - until they are confident they can provide a safe experience at sea for guests and CMs. This isn’t like opening the parks. Not at all.

How can we be this late in the game and someone *still* thinks this is a good argument with this disease? What you do, affects others. Full stop.

So you’re for banning tobacco and alcohol too? The first and third leading preventable cause of deaths in the U.S. and clearly affects others. like we said, cruising is being singled out. Put away the hypocrisy and the pitchforks/torches.

Let those who want to cruise and those who volunteer to work quarantine for two weeks prior to cruising and two weeks after. Also just cruise and avoid ports since they likely wouldn't allow disembarkation anyway. And definitely enforce masks and distancing.

Let those who want to cruise and those who volunteer to work quarantine for two weeks prior to cruising and two weeks after. Also just cruise and avoid ports since they likely wouldn't allow disembarkation anyway. And definitely enforce masks and distancing.

Gotta have a foreign port. If Bahamas will let cruise ships dock, then they could go to their own private islands and do shorter cruises right from the get-go.

Very glad to hear that you recovered! May I ask what state you live in that hardly anyone wears masks or social distances? :scratchin
Must be VERY frustrating! Well they better..upcoming flu season combined with Covid, hospitalizations will be increasing.
Get a flu shot early! ::yes::
Missouri. We actually just got home from taking the kiddos for a walk in the park, wearing our masks. Went by a playground with a mask required sign, probably 30-40 adults and kids there, and i counted only two people with any kind of mask (and they were the completely useless valve ones).

Only a very limited number of people would sign up for this. Would not be profitable. Not to mention Disney will not resume sailing if all of this is what’s necessary to do it safely. Not to mention the logistics of quarantining all of those people for a month outside of the cruise time and ensuring compliance. Not a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter