• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Norwegian Cruise Lines CEO: "Enough is Enough"

I'm standing up for the 911,000 who have died from covid-19 and their families. I find the comments reprehensible.
And European cruises....not going so well. https://thepointsguy.com/news/croisieurope-river-cruise-covid-outbreak/
And as one of the at least 19 million that has had a confirmed case of Covid-19 and recovered, I should now be able to go on a cruise without much risk to myself or others. I actually think that article is encouraging: it mentions other cruises sailing without any positive cases or others with just one positive case. I wish we had those kinds of positivity rates where I live, but it is much higher here, probably because hardly anyone around here wears masks or distances, and everyone on a cruise ship would have to.

And as one of the at least 19 million that has had a confirmed case of Covid-19 and recovered, I should now be able to go on a cruise without much risk to myself or others. I actually think that article is encouraging: it mentions other cruises sailing without any positive cases or others with just one positive case. I wish we had those kinds of positivity rates where I live, but it is much higher here, probably because hardly anyone around here wears masks or distances, and everyone on a cruise ship would have to.
The other issue, what ports are even going to allow a cruise ship to stop.

'Somebody' is irrelevant. Essential businesses serve large swaths of population in the matters of health, safety, food, etc. Hotels may or may not be necessary but cruises are definitely NOT.

To be fair, the broader cruise industry is paying for Carnival's recklessness. Those Princess ships became the poster children of an industry that seemed to put profits over safety.

And, for Del Rio, talk is cheap.

First prove that you can actually run a cruise in a safe manner. Do what the likes of MSC and others are doing in Europe. Take one of your ships to Italy and show us you can hack it.

It's not an ON/OFF button.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if you haven't had a pay check since March.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if they're one of the 15,500 expected job losses from florida ports.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if their business is directly effected and forced to close due to this.

But what do I know, I work in the cruise industry, I'm irrelevant! 😂😂

I just can't help but think that many of you feel that the CDC is specifically targeting the Cruise Industry as some sort of punishment. There's no indication of this in anyway, primarily they are just exercising caution and considering that the nature of cruising puts many people from different countries and locations at direct risk of contact infection system wide, I think this is the primary reason they're being so cautious and extending the No Sail Order. It was absolutely evident early in the beginnings of the Pandemic. The spread of the virus across borders and from people from a myriad of countries has to be viewed seriously, as it can affect such things as economic and commerce from these countries, not just the United States, this has to be a major factor in whether or not cruises originating from U.S. ports should resume or not. And while there has been some borders reopening, there are still major restrictions on international travel from many European and Asian countries into the U.S. And this doesn't not only affect International Guests but crew members from other countries as well. I am very much anxious to resume cruising as well, but only if there are sufficient protections for the safety of the guests and crews are in place. You can't expect the CDC to allow resumption of operations based solely passengers willingness "take the risk" of taking a cruise. The blow back against not only the cruise lines but the U.S. Government if there are outbreaks would create a litigious nightmare that could potentially end leisure cruising as we know it.

Very glad to hear that you recovered! May I ask what state you live in that hardly anyone wears masks or social distances? :scratchin
Must be VERY frustrating! Well they better..upcoming flu season combined with Covid, hospitalizations will be increasing.
Get a flu shot early! ::yes::

Looking forward to our NCL cruise in October '21 :yay: IF Covid has tempered and there is a reliable vaccine! NCL policy on cancellation is very liberal, so we can always cancel if we don't feel safe! Optimistically, by Fall of '21, things will be improved!

If the CDC is basing their ban on soley on reducing the spread of Covid, then they need to ban schools and colleges from in classroom teaching. More people have tested positive from a school setting than a cruise ship. Part of the issue is the fear and bad PR the cruises got at the beginning; and the fact unknown back then as they held cruisers hostage on board for weeks, was the virus was spreading on land- in our cities anyways. Keep in mind many cruisers died as they were much older AND were one of the first to be treated with Covid.. In a way they were guinea pigs in how to treat.. I would bet money now that if they were sick and treated now, their outcome would be better. for some.

If the CDC is basing their ban on soley on reducing the spread of Covid, then they need to ban schools and colleges from in classroom teaching. More people have tested positive from a school setting than a cruise ship. Part of the issue is the fear and bad PR the cruises got at the beginning; and the fact unknown back then as they held cruisers hostage on board for weeks, was the virus was spreading on land- in our cities anyways. Keep in mind many cruisers died as they were much older AND were one of the first to be treated with Covid.. In a way they were guinea pigs in how to treat.. I would bet money now that if they were sick and treated now, their outcome would be better. for some.

How do you not understand how schools are different than a cruise ship?

Are you familiar with the CDC recommendations for schools? MANY schools have kids in cohorts, as strongly recommended by the CDC. They’re only in contact with a certain number of kids per day. If someone tests positive, that small group of kids isolates. My child, in a large public school, is only in contact with her teacher and the same 20 students per day. If a child tests positive, those 20 isolate at home. This kind of cohorting mitigation is absolutely impossible on a cruise ship. Even our high school students travel with the same small group of students who all have the same class schedule. Most schools in session right now are not just free for alls - they are mitigating in ways a cruise ship never could.

Even if the CDC gives go ahead (which I don’t think will happen anytime soon), I don’t think Disney resumes for a long long time. Disney will still experience bad PR if an outbreak occurs on the ship, no matter when that is.

Last edited:
The passengers may look at it as leisure travel but those who depend on tourism look at it as their lifeline and their means to support themselves and their children. Every business is essential to somebody. How are theme parks essential, how are bars and nightclubs essential, how are resorts essential, how is even bowling essential, etc.?
Amen! This has been my view all along, and I get frustrated hearing people put down hair salon owners or restaurants for wanting to resume their operations. Unfortunately, the ones making the decisions don't realize that it is more than "just a haircut" or "going out for an ice cream." I really wish it were that simple - but that one salon supports the stylists who work there, the vendors who supply products there, the custodial company that cleans the place, the technician that services the HVAC system, the property owner who rents out the space. The same thing goes for tourism. We take a cruise for leisure but everyone from the dock workers to the cabin stewards to the kitchen staff to the captain rely on this industry for their livelihood.

More people have tested positive from a school setting than a cruise ship.
This is a poor comparison as people are going to school right now and we are not cruising. Fact: more people have tested positive from cruising than people on Mars.

Keep in mind many cruisers died as they were much older AND were one of the first to be treated with Covid..
True, but a large percentage of cruise line clients are older and older people are still in the high risk group. Of course you could run the cruises with only 20 somethings, oh wait that's why they closed down all the bars in FL.

Yep, the longer this pandemic rages on the more and more people will suffer and die. Hunger, other illnesses, I am also sure mental health is taking a toll on many people globally.
Mental health is very much an issue during this lockdown. Rates for suicide, attempted suicide and calls to prevention hotlines have all increased over the past few months. The opioid abuse rate is rising again as well. The Wall Street Journal just reported on that this past week.

Amen! This has been my view all along, and I get frustrated hearing people put down hair salon owners or restaurants for wanting to resume their operations. Unfortunately, the ones making the decisions don't realize that it is more than "just a haircut" or "going out for an ice cream." I really wish it were that simple - but that one salon supports the stylists who work there, the vendors who supply products there, the custodial company that cleans the place, the technician that services the HVAC system, the property owner who rents out the space. The same thing goes for tourism. We take a cruise for leisure but everyone from the dock workers to the cabin stewards to the kitchen staff to the captain rely on this industry for their livelihood.
(Sarcasm ON) You're right. Think of all the people that the government put out of work by stopping children from smoking and drinking. From farmers to retail clerks. And don't even get me started on those pesky speed limits and school crossings. When will the sheep learn that keeping people from harm actually causes problems for other people. (Sarcasm Off)

(Sarcasm ON) You're right. Think of all the people that the government put out of work by stopping children from smoking and drinking. From farmers to retail clerks. And don't even get me started on those pesky speed limits and school crossings. When will the sheep learn that keeping people from harm actually causes problems for other people. (Sarcasm Off)

Drinking age laws and other safety measures that keep us safe are either voted on directly by us or voted on and passed by our elected state or fed representatives. If you truly feel cruising is a danger to yourself or others and that a ban is needed, then do it the right way and get the votes. It's not like we haven't had time to do it the right way, the "emergency" ban has been renewed multiple times. We do not rule by decree in this country. The Norwegian Cruise Line CEO is correct, enough is enough.

If you truly feel cruising is a danger to yourself or others and that a ban is needed, then do it the right way and get the votes. It's not like we haven't had time to do it the right way, the "emergency" ban has been renewed multiple times. We do not rule by decree in this country
Seems like your the one that needs to go out and get the votes. Because there isn't any cruising and emergency decress are flowing like water.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if you haven't had a pay check since March.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if they're one of the 15,500 expected job losses from florida ports.

Pretty sure somebody is relevant if their business is directly effected and forced to close due to this.

But what do I know, I work in the cruise industry, I'm irrelevant! 😂😂
It's not all about me. If I continue to work, I will put someone else at risk. And if I don't get to work for a few months, someone else will still live.

That nurse in my hospital though, she's not working just to put food on her table. She'd better work so WE can all live.

The CDC does not have jurisdiction to ban anything for schools.
They do have jurisdiction on US port operations.

That's a big thing in all this. The CDC can only actively regulate such things as they have specific power to regulate. Schools are not on their list. They can advise and provide guidance to schools. They cannot order schools to do things.

Our priorities are not out of whack, this is a cruising forum. So naturally it will hold those who want to discuss and resume cruising. If you are so against cruising, why come to a cruising forum? There are many Disboard forums for things other than cruising. I cannot tell if it’s just an effort to pick fights or just to stir up stuff. If the concept of resuming cruising disturbs you that much, then you’re in for a lifetime of disappointment on a cruising forum.
You don't check common sense when you log on a cruise forum. I am just being honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter