Not having a car at either SSR or OKW...

ThisIsJason

DIS Veteran
Some friends are thinking about joining us May 2015 (same dates, not going to the parks together, maybe dinner once or twice during that time). They are thinking about renting points via dvcrequest.com, and are looking at SSR or OKW. Seeing that the resorts are so big, they are (and myself) wondering about not having a car and using buses. Does either resort have some type of internal bus system? Can it be done without a car, or should they rent one?

Thanks!

At both resorts the buses travel thru out the resort and I've never thought it was an issue to be there without a car.

We have stayed at both resorts without a car. The Disney bus system is excellent.

I believe both resorts have internal shuttles. I know at OKW that all busses stop at the Hospitality House before leaving the resort.

And at SSR all busses except DTD busses stop at the Springs stop before leaving SSR, and that is the stop closest to the main pool, the Community Hall, and the restaurants .

I really hate being the negative factor here..(truly I'm a positive person)....but with 55+ trips under my belt I will tell you that a rental car is pure heaven. If you are on a tight money budget, Disney gives you the boats, the buses, the monorail and you should go for it because it is a fabulous freebie. Which is all good. But it takes forever (in my little mind) to get from point A to point B. Frustrating. Then there is the dealing with crowded lines, buses...etc. etc. With a car rental, you're there in 10 minutes. Plus you can go off property to dinner and shopping.

I've stayed at many resorts and I love the fact that SSR is walking distance to DD. We never rent a car: Yes it take a little longer, but I drive all year round, when I'm on vacation someone can cart me around!(especially when it is free)

I know the bus may be crowded but it is air conditioned and I don't worry about traffic. So no getting on a tram or getting into a hot car.

we use the car when we do split stays, and to get groceries and other things we need during vacation. we really don't need the car most of the time during the trip, and because we have a bigger group it costs quite a bit to have van big enough for the group.

We wouldn't go OKW without a car and would be reluctant at SSR but then we drive to most parks (except MK).

I think a good part of whether it will be ok or not is the tolerance for public transportation. We do usually have a rental car but leave it parked as much as we use it. In the end by the time we park the car at the theme park and then wait for a tram or walk to the entrance and then do the reverse when we leave it just all seems to even out - but you've got to have the patience to wait for the bus and do the ride on one. For me it's often a nice change from driving. Or maybe I have a weird tolerance/like of public transportation. :) (except the monorail transport from Epcot to BLT late at night - a tiresome journey).

Thanks everyone. I guess I am going to have to suggest to them it might be better to rent a car. I think that KAT4DISNEY put it best: tolerance for public transportation. Which she has none of. Our parking lot and university office are on opposite ends of the campus and using the campus shuttle is needed, so help the driver if he/she is more than 3 minutes late. More than 20 people on the bus? Complains the whole 15 minute drive.

Writing this out, it might have been a stupid question to ask. Well, helps me if my wife and I ever want to stay at either resort. We probably wouldn't get a car. We like Disney transportation, if you can get me from A to B and all I have to do is get on and off. Fine by me.

Thanks again everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter