Not sure if this is the right board but can anyone help me?

FigaroandFifi

Mouseketeer
We are taking our first trip to the Food & Wine Festival this year. We are paying OOP as we do not have the dining plan for this trip. Can anyone give me a little insight as to how to budget for the festival? It is just me and hubby going and right now the plan is to spend 1 full day at Epcot to enjoy the festival and have time to really look at the merchandise and check out all the booths. The plan is to share everything since we both think we are only looking for a bite to try whatever it is we got and if we like it, we can go back and get another. The other thing is, we are not big drinkers and I really do not feel that we will try much of the alcohol side of the festival. I have looked at last years things and do see a few alcoholic things we may try and again, I see us each taking a sip to try, not really planning to "drink" much during the festival. We are not planning any meals for that day as I feel we will just eat at the festival and that will be it. I know we will not try "everything" at the festival but will probably try things that we see others eating that "look good", lol.

There's a big thread on the restaurant board all about food and wine that might help and will have the most up to date info. Once it opens next week menu's with prices will start being posted and I think that'll be your best way to figure it out. There are already menu's out but not with prices, so you could at least figure out what you want to try at different places. No one knows if/how much prices will go up.

I budget $5 for each food item and then determine how many things I can eat. That usually works for me. All the drinks I get are $5 or less. I always get the gift card wrist band which helps me stay on track. Hope that helps.

I budget $5 for each food item and then determine how many things I can eat. That usually works for me. All the drinks I get are $5 or less. I always get the gift card wrist band which helps me stay on track. Hope that helps.

So you like the wristband gift card? I had seen them and thought what a cute little keepsake, lol. I was thinking of getting one and I guess that is what prompted my question on the board, I was trying to figure out how much to put on it :). Anyway, do you know if it can be used in other parks or just Epcot? I was thinking if it could be used at other parks then the amount I put on it doesn't really matter at that point. I did see the "upgraded" card that you had to load at least $200 on and since I already have a couple gift cards to use on the trip, I am not so sure I want another, but that wrist one is really kinda cute, lol.

We pay out of pocket. Honestly I think we each got at the most 5 items per person. It all depends. You get pretty full pretty quick. I think you could use a gift card just like a credit card. There’s a dinsey food and wine app that’s petty cool. That should help with your planning.

do you know if it can be used in other parks or just Epcot?

It can be used anywhere Disney gift cards are accepted.

PP mentioned budgeting only $5 for each item. If you do that, you will miss some must have items.

When I go, I purchase an extensive ebook put out by food blog that specializes in Disney. I don't think I can mention it here. But if you do a google search, you should be able to find it. I use that to create a must try list.

Enjoy! The F&W is my favorite event at Disney. I like to stay at a nearby hotel so I can walk over almost daily.

The wrist card is definitely the way to go! Picture yourself trying to pay and juggle your wallet, food, drink. With the wrist band, you don't have to go diving for payment.

I have the wrist band and I have been using it for every trip for the past few years. It keeps me on track and like pp said you can use them anywhere gift cards are accepted. I absolutely love it!

I’m a vegetarian, which means I can’t eat most of the foods at the booths (most of the desserts don’t appeal to me). And yet I still managed to spend $100 by myself on an adults only trip in 2015.

Thanks everyone!! I am going to get the gift card, probably 2 one for me, one for hubby. I am sure our magicbands would work but I just feel it could be too easy to overspend. So I guess I am thinking of putting the magic bands in my park bag once we get inside and buy the giftcards and then we are free to enjoy!

I will probably put $75-$100 on each card as long as they can be used anywhere on property. We will be going to the halloween party so maybe the wristband gift cards would come in handy there as well.

PP mentioned budgeting only $5 for each item. If you do that, you will miss some must have items.

When the PP used the term "budgeting", I don't think she meant that she only purchases items that cost $5 or less. I assume she was using $5/each as a rough estimate. Ex. if she plans to spend around $50, she knows she can purchase approximately 10 items and still be within budget.

She can still have the more expensive "must have items" since some other items cost less than $5 so it will even out.

Once the festival starts in the next week, the bloggers will have posts with the menus with prices and what they liked didn’t like. You can read about the different items and ballpark out what you would like to try. Food ranges from $4-$8. The alcoholic drinks are more pricey.

Honestly I think we each got at the most 5 items per person. It all depends. You get pretty full pretty quick.

Yes, I was surprised by how little we actually spent. The first day we entered through the IG and only made it from France to Italy before we were too full to eat any more. We did not try all the food items (probably one or two per booth) and there were 4 of us (DH & I plus two teens) eating it. I was reading posts here that recommended planning for 12-15 items per person so I was expecting way more.

We ate at the festival for the majority of our "meals" during that trip and I felt that it worked out to being less than getting counter service. DH & I tried every beer they offered, but no other alcoholic drinks.

Last year they had a “package” you could buy. For a set price (can’t remember the amount) you got a plastic thing with tabs on it. You can use each tab to purchase food/drink. It made sense to buy it if you would be purchasing higher priced items. I can’t remember the break even amount, but I assume they will have he same thing this year.

Also, if you go during the last two weeks of FWF you may get some deals. They were offering wines/champagne by the glass in the festival center for half price to unload their inventory. The festival center was the only place I saw this. DH and I got a few expensive glasses of champagne!

Last year they had a “package” you could buy. For a set price (can’t remember the amount) you got a plastic thing with tabs on it. You can use each tab to purchase food/drink. It made sense to buy it if you would be purchasing higher priced items. I can’t remember the break even amount, but I assume they will have he same thing this year.

Also, if you go during the last two weeks of FWF you may get some deals. They were offering wines/champagne by the glass in the festival center for half price to unload their inventory. The festival center was the only place I saw this. DH and I got a few expensive glasses of champagne!
Unfortunately, the Sampler lanyards won't be returning this year. It's a shame because we bought it each year and were able to use the "chits" for the most expensive drinks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter