Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

Found it...kind of. They have the Race Etiquette on the sheet that is given to you when you pick up your bib. Most people don't look at it, I am sure. But, it has some reminders. Like to move to the side if someone says excuse me, etc. Nothing on the WDW Marathon final instructions page about moving to the right...but I wish that they would start to include that. Especially considering that Disney races are usually first races for many runners/walkers. I think if someone runs into another person because they stop, they are following far too closely - sure there are some that don't pay attention behind them but I think most of us do. That is just my take on that.

Here is a copy of the final race instructions - these are specific to the relay but the regular half was the same:
http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/sports/rundisney/RelayFRI.pdf

So, if any Disney spies are watching this thread, I would hope that they post more race etiquette. I am participating in a few smaller races that have a bit more elaborate instructions.

I found the number of quick paces decelerators to be high for this race as well, even for a runDisney event. Not too much harm, nor much foul in my opinion. Most seemed to move to the side. I view it like driving a car, walking in a mall, or shopping in a grocery store. If you are gonna be a little slower, or take in more scenery, you go to the outside. Steady flow in the center. What did irk me was the number of rude people who had yards of lateral clearance on my left yet felt the need to push between myself and the person who was on my right side. Whether it is your first event or not, to me it is simply common sense to go where there is more room if you wish to pass.

Found it...kind of. They have the Race Etiquette on the sheet that is given to you when you pick up your bib. Most people don't look at it, I am sure. But, it has some reminders. Like to move to the side if someone says excuse me, etc. Nothing on the WDW Marathon final instructions page about moving to the right...but I wish that they would start to include that. Especially considering that Disney races are usually first races for many runners/walkers. I think if someone runs into another person because they stop, they are following far too closely - sure there are some that don't pay attention behind them but I think most of us do. That is just my take on that.

Here is a copy of the final race instructions - these are specific to the relay but the regular half was the same:
http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/sports/rundisney/RelayFRI.pdf

So, if any Disney spies are watching this thread, I would hope that they post more race etiquette. I am participating in a few smaller races that have a bit more elaborate instructions.

I did read it. I also listened on the bus for final instructions. It says move to the side if someone yells they are passing.. Doesn't even say which side.

I agree that this isn't enough instruction. But, I also agree that I doubt most people read what they are given. Some people want the left side to be the fast moving part. Some, (I guess from the UK?) want the right to be the fast moving. And some, see the above post, .. the center..

I view it like skiing.. It doesn't matter what part of the slope you're skiing on.. the uphill skier must avoid the collision. In these races the overtaking runner must find the open part of the course to make the pass. And if there isn't one.. You can't run.. There are parts of the course, entrance to animal kingdom, where you simply can't run.

I did read it. I also listened on the bus for final instructions. It says move to the side if someone yells they are passing.. Doesn't even say which side.

I agree that this isn't enough instruction. But, I also agree that I doubt most people read what they are given. Some people want the left side to be the fast moving part. Some, (I guess from the UK?) want the right to be the fast moving. And some, see the above post, .. the center..

I view it like skiing.. It doesn't matter what part of the slope you're skiing on.. the uphill skier must avoid the collision. In these races the overtaking runner must find the open part of the course to make the pass. And if there isn't one.. You can't run.. There are parts of the course, entrance to animal kingdom, where you simply can't run.

I just listened for the "beep beep" of a runner's watch and then looked to see if I had to dodge the person in front of me.

On another note, does anyone know if they sell any of the Wine and Dine merchandise online? I was rushed through the expo and didn't get to buy any of the t-shirts. :confused3

I think proper race etiquette is to get over to the right or raise your hand if you are going to slow dramatically. If I am running at a 6:20 pace behind someone I don't expect them to just suddenly stop or slow to a 10:00 pace in the middle of the course.

Another piece of race etiquette that far too often is ignored is slowing in water stops. If you are running a 6:20 pace grab the water at the same pace and if you have to stop to drink do so after the stop. There is nothing worse than going through a water stop and having someone come to a screeching halt right in front of you.

There is nothing wrong with slowing when you have to but you need to let the people right behind you know. I consider it a pretty basic part of race etiquette.

I think proper race etiquette is to get over to the right or raise your hand if you are going to slow dramatically. If I am running at a 6:20 pace behind someone I don't expect them to just suddenly stop or slow to a 10:00 pace in the middle of the course.

Another piece of race etiquette that far too often is ignored is slowing in water stops. If you are running a 6:20 pace grab the water at the same pace and if you have to stop to drink do so after the stop. There is nothing worse than going through a water stop and having someone come to a screeching halt right in front of you.

There is nothing wrong with slowing when you have to but you need to let the people right behind you know. I consider it a pretty basic part of race etiquette.

I think what I'm trying to say is that outside of corral A... Don't assume anyone knows anything about race etiquette if it isn't in the race documentation. So you have to expect the unexpected.

Listening for the beep beep is a brilliant suggestion.

I think what I'm trying to say is that outside of corral A... Don't assume anyone knows anything about race etiquette if it isn't in the race documentation. So you have to expect the unexpected.

Listening for the beep beep is a brilliant suggestion.

Sorry but if you are a newbie runner you should still know these etiquette. When I ran my first race I read up on everything about running and racing and I would hope that others would too. I know some people don't take this race serious and its all fun and games for them but common courtesy exists everyday, common sense people!

I just listened for the "beep beep" of a runner's watch and then looked to see if I had to dodge the person in front of me.

On another note, does anyone know if they sell any of the Wine and Dine merchandise online? I was rushed through the expo and didn't get to buy any of the t-shirts. :confused3

If you don't get the merchandise at the race, chances are you won't be able to get it outside of the race. Anything left over goes to the Disney Outlets. Disneystore.com has some items but they tend to be generic.

Galloway mentioned at the Disneyland Special Meetup on Friday before the expo opened was to stay to either the right or left side when walking. Because of turns going either right or left, you could be in the tangent line of runners. This will at least leave the main path open to runners.

Sorry but if you are a newbie runner you should still know these etiquette. When I ran my first race I read up on everything about running and racing and I would hope that others would too. I know some people don't take this race serious and its all fun and games for them but common courtesy exists everyday, common sense people!

I have never read anything about running that I didn't read on a Disney site. I am a Disney person that happens to run in these races because they are at Disney. I read every line of the information that is related to this race. But I have never read a running magazine.. and I never will. I HATE running.

I am happy where I am in my running. I am not looking to improve to an elite level. I came within a few minutes of where I put down I would finish. And you know what.. at a Disney race that makes me a B runner.

This was my third Disney race. And Disney races are the only ones I run in. So I guess what I'm saying is the only runner's etiquette I kinow is don't walk more than two abreast.. and try to move if someone yells they are passing.

I'm not trying to be smart or rude. I'm just being honest.

Is the mydisneymarathon.com website going to be updated with this race photos?

No matter what, common sense and courtesy should dictate behavior when approaching a slower individual just like when operating a vehicle. The problem is that both are lacking in many people.

Last year, DW was first off at a 16mpm pace so most half marathoners were past my entry point into the half. Having fresh legs and walking at a 9:36mpm pace I was flying past everyone. I was weaving in and out and even out on the grass as I went past others. I kept my distance the best I could but there were times I had to stop short when people closed the gap I was heading for but it was my duty to avoid hitting them....common sense and courtesy. There was an incident when I clipped a cone as I was heading outside the cone to pass a slow bunch and managed to do a face plant. My fault entirely and thank goodness I did not obstruct anyone else's passage so all was well, almost.:goodvibes

Sole responsibility for safe passing is on the person coming up on others. Some just don't or can't see it that way and there-in lies the problem.

Sam G said:
It's a night race.. So .. yeah.. It's dark. I run at night all the time. I'm used to it. I thought it had enough light not to fall.

Now.. On to you "offending" part. I view these races as disney events that runners can participate in too. If you look over all the race literature you will not find anywhere that you need to walk right and run left. It doesn't matter what you have been "taught". Most people in these runs have never been taught anything like that. So if that isn't communicated to them.. How would they know? There is no safe place to walk on the course. You can be run over left, right or center. I have to walk every so often to keep my heartrate in check. I run.. then I stop. I will try to look around and hold up my hand to signal I'm stopping. But the speed I run is faster than most joggers. heck, the speed I walk is faster than most joggers.. But I can't run only only on the right so I can stop. I really find the saftest place to run/walk these races is the center where there is room to get around me on both sides.

Oh, feel free to run into me. You'll lose.

When I go shopping, I always get out of the center of the aisle if I'm going to contemplate which spaghetti sauce Im going to buy. I was "taught" that common courtesy so I assume it was the same teaching with running/walking etc. I am NOT running into anyone on purpose. I like being bruise-free. If I am 2 feet behind you and you stop suddenly without warning, the chances of me running into you are pretty darn high, kwim? I don't WANT to do it, it's just going to happen because I'm a...uh, huskier runner who doesn't float like a butterfly. :rotfl2: Generally if someone is running in front of me and starts drifting off to the right, thats a hint for me that he/she is going to slow down so I will head the other direction. Unless I want to walk myself, then I will follow :)

When I go shopping, I always get out of the center of the aisle if I'm going to contemplate which spaghetti sauce Im going to buy. I was "taught" that common courtesy so I assume it was the same teaching with running/walking etc. I am NOT running into anyone on purpose. I like being bruise-free. If I am 2 feet behind you and you stop suddenly without warning, the chances of me running into you are pretty darn high, kwim? I don't WANT to do it, it's just going to happen because I'm a...uh, huskier runner who doesn't float like a butterfly. :rotfl2: Generally if someone is running in front of me and starts drifting off to the right, thats a hint for me that he/she is going to slow down so I will head the other direction. Unless I want to walk myself, then I will follow :)

I don't know what kwim means.

I will try to look around.. hold up my hand, etc. But if you run into me.. you'll lose. (unless you're a NFL or top 25 college football lineman.) And I won't feel bad.

If somebody stops two feet in front of you and you run into them.. it's your fault. They may lack common sense.. but it will still be your fault. They may be rude.. It's your fault.

It's the runner overtaking someone slower or stopping responsibility not to run into that person.

No matter what, common sense and courtesy should dictate behavior when approaching a slower individual just like when operating a vehicle. The problem is that both are lacking in many people.

Last year, DW was first off at a 16mpm pace so most half marathoners were past my entry point into the half. Having fresh legs and walking at a 9:36mpm pace I was flying past everyone. I was weaving in and out and even out on the grass as I went past others. I kept my distance the best I could but there were times I had to stop short when people closed the gap I was heading for but it was my duty to avoid hitting them....common sense and courtesy. There was an incident when I clipped a cone as I was heading outside the cone to pass a slow bunch and managed to do a face plant. My fault entirely and thank goodness I did not obstruct anyone else's passage so all was well, almost.:goodvibes

Sole responsibility for safe passing is on the person coming up on others. Some just don't or can't see it that way and there-in lies the problem.

You and I are agreeing.. right?

I view these races as disney events that runners can participate in too.

I guess I should feel honored that Disney would invite me, along with other runners, to such an exclusive event!! Shame on me for thinking it was a running event held on Disney property!!

:rotfl:

Anyway, I agree with what has been recently said....it's common sense and courtesy!! I don't need a race instruction or a special class to inform me that if I'm going to stop and walk during an event, I should probably check behind me and maybe move over to the right (like I would driving a car on a highway). At no time ever in my history of races (from 5k's to the Goofy) have I had an issue migrating over to the right within 10 or so seconds when I needed to take a brief walk break.

With that said it's also common sense for me to always be watching out for people stopping to take a walk break or worse off, pull up with an injury. It IS a Disney event after all that attracts many first timers and people who may not have the sense to know the rules of the road.

Is the mydisneymarathon.com website going to be updated with this race photos?

I don't know...but they have the pictures up on the brightroom page. It will probably be another week before finishers certificates can be printed out. The Run Disney people aren't doing a fantastic job about updating the websites. Must be a system thing.

I guess I should feel honored that Disney would invite me, along with other runners, to such an exclusive event!! Shame on me for thinking it was a running event held on Disney property!!

:rotfl:

Anyway, I agree with what has been recently said....it's common sense and courtesy!! I don't need a race instruction or a special class to inform me that if I'm going to stop and walk during an event, I should probably check behind me and maybe move over to the right (like I would driving a car on a highway). At no time ever in my history of races (from 5k's to the Goofy) have I had an issue migrating over to the right within 10 or so seconds when I needed to take a brief walk break.

With that said it's also common sense for me to always be watching out for people stopping to take a walk break or worse off, pull up with an injury. It IS a Disney event after all that attracts many first timers and people who may not have the sense to know the rules of the road.

I think it's an inclusive event. Something for runners and those of us who aren't. It isn't my sport... It's something I do for fun. (my sport is the most regulated sport in the world) My main goal is coming out without an injury, to me or anyone else. I'm not going to win.. so I'm going to have fun.

There are exclusive events... boston, etc. Even if I qualified.. I wouldn't go.

I think it's a timed fun run.. and I treat it as such. It's like the difference between a bike ride.. and a bike race.. I do bike rides. I won't play the stupid bike race rules..

I guess what I'm hearing is that there are tacit rules to running that aren't shared in the disney stuff but I should just know... I hate tacit rules.. But how should most of the people in these "races" know what they are? Not running into somebody in front of me is the most common sense thing I can think of..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter