Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

Hello all, I had so much fun at the race. I got the time I wanted and that included pictures. I am planning to do the race again in the future. The plan right now is that I am going to go for the coast to coast in 2014. That is the next time I will do the Wine and Dine Half. My sister will be out of grad school so her my dad and myself are going to do the half while my mom cheers us on.

It was nice meet all of you that I ran into either before or on the actual race course.:goodvibes

I met you briefly just before we got into our corrals. I was too nervous to have a conversation :sad2: but it was very nice meeting you:)

Jennifer

Finally back from the trip.

I was shooting for a 2:10 finish for this race, my first ever half....pretty aggressive eh? I managed a 2:18, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Mile 1-9 were pretty good, but then my legs started to have other thoughts right about the time we got into DHS. Started walking a bit. Mile 12+ all seemed to breeze by; I swear I didn't even see the Mile 13 marker...just the '400 yds to go' sign.

Link to my RunKeeper track here: http://runkeeper.com/user/ChloroFiend/activity/54553683

As far as the race goes, no real complaints about the organization. The on-course entertainment definitely left a lot to be desired...especially having seen all that they do during the January marathon weekend. Running through DAK was pretty cool; DHS was merely OK....backstage is really kinda boring, ya know? Yay, random parking garage #3! ;) Grabbing my checked bag was cake and having the changing tents was nice....I'd originally planned on changing in one of the bathrooms inside the park.

The after-party seemed pretty slammed; way busier than we'd expected...and having only sold 72% of guest tickets, that sort of scares me. We stayed for about one lap of World Showcase and one extra beer and took off. Just too busy to deal with. My legs were seizing up pretty good (mainly hip flexor and IT band)....I nearly didn't make it back to the Dolphin. However, all the soreness and fatigue faded about Tuesday and I've been money ever since. Somewhat surprised I bounced back so quick. I attribute it to massive post-race protein consumption, good hydration, and fighting through the ouch to walk the parks.

Will I run this race again? Probably not. Just didn't wow me that much, nor did the Food & Wine Festival in general....I had really high hopes and they didn't really get met. Will I run another half? The wife is trying to convince me to run January with her; she's going for the Goofy. We'll see....not sure I want to commit to that. All the races I'm planning on are shorter (anywhere from 5K to 10 miles)....but involve fire, mud, obstacles, and (in one case) live electrical wires. They just keep me going a bit more than open road. pirate:

While drafting in a tri event might not be legal at times, drafting is as I mentioned a great way to improve. Two years ago this upcoming Halloween I ventured out at 1:30AM for the start of my 200 mile ride. The first 98 miles were by myself at a respectable speed for a 60yo. I then joined a group of guys I ride with and the next 40 miles we booked. Taking a pull at 28mph then getting back in line and recovering then doing it again and again has a benefit that no amount of individual riding can accomplish for someone my age. When the guys sprinted into the 30s I just let them go knowing I would catch up eventually because I can motor along like a diesel while they fade like a cheetah. After finishing the 40 miler I continued on my own to actually complete 201 miles and felt good after.

The draft will help even if a foot or a little more behind but I enjoy being a couple of inches behind guys I know and trust. It provides a period of time where I am on the edge and very alert.

Sam G, if you prefer riding on your own that's great. You and I have something in common with that as I find during those riding times I am truly in touch with everything. Nothing like hearing just the tires, muffled chain and wind while concentrating on breathing and cadence. I understand what you are referring to about the speed differential but at those times I just pull out, sit up and slow down then get back in line. Again, riding with people you know helps. As far as body type, I was once 45 pounds heavier and now the guys say I look like a Columbian mountain rider and I do so enjoy the hills.

Thanks.. I'm impressed by to 200 miles. I have friends that do those rides. It's some club they are in that you buy cue sheets for rides and then buy something at a 7/11 to prove your time at stops. They have tried to get me interested... not yet. Those are the guys who chests are the size of my calf.. :)

I thought whether drafting was legal or not depended on the particular Triathlon. I watch the ITU World Championship series and those triathlons are draft legal. I think Hi-Vee is too. I know most long course Tri's aren't draft legal but I was always under the impression many short course Tri's were.

I'm still kind of a Tri novice so I could be way off.

I'm not an expert. The only triathlons I have done have been short fun ones with no on course officials. But I read tri blogs and know people get time penalties for it. You have to be in the act of passing.. and once passed you must drop back two bike lengths right away. I looked at the half tri at Disney and it is in those rules. Next time you see a M-dot guy talk to him. I find those guys are almost always friendly.. except on race days. :) I find the blogs useful for insight as well.

Congrats to all of you who STARTED the race, whether you finished or got swept :) Wish I could've been there this year, but doing our first Christmas trip instead. Already planning to run next year. For those who stayed at the Dolphin, how did you get to and from the race? Seems super easy to just walk back, but not sure I'll be thinking that after the race!:rotfl: Good cool-down, though!

And my biggest Disney race question in general....WHY don't they have Photopass or ASI photographers with the characters?? I'm only running with a little point and shoot; nighttime pics are going to be awful. Couldn't they sell a TON of these shots if they had guys with nice big lenses on tripods and big old flashes?? I'd be thrilled to have one or more of those. My Princess Half pics came out okay, but they were during the day. Any thoughts?

Last question (for now anyway...heehee), how far into the race is it before the runners pass within sight of the Boardwalk/Beach Club/etc. area? I.e. when could my family see me without taking any transportation from the Dolphin?? THANKS for any help!

Congrats to all of you who STARTED the race, whether you finished or got swept :) Wish I could've been there this year, but doing our first Christmas trip instead. Already planning to run next year. For those who stayed at the Dolphin, how did you get to and from the race? Seems super easy to just walk back, but not sure I'll be thinking that after the race!:rotfl: Good cool-down, though!

And my biggest Disney race question in general....WHY don't they have Photopass or ASI photographers with the characters?? I'm only running with a little point and shoot; nighttime pics are going to be awful. Couldn't they sell a TON of these shots if they had guys with nice big lenses on tripods and big old flashes?? I'd be thrilled to have one or more of those. My Princess Half pics came out okay, but they were during the day. Any thoughts?

Last question (for now anyway...heehee), how far into the race is it before the runners pass within sight of the Boardwalk/Beach Club/etc. area? I.e. when could my family see me without taking any transportation from the Dolphin?? THANKS for any help!

I don't think anybody on here got swept... Over on the run disney facebook page there are some swept stories.

At the sidewalk by the boardwalk was about 11.5 miles. Then it crosses over toward the Beach club.. going over the swan dolphin bridge.

I took pics with the characters along the way with a point and shoot and they all turned out great...none of them were too dark. well, actually one of them was...sorry...inside AK they had a volunteer at the picture stop out in front of the tree of life...the tree looked really cool dimly lit up with different colors...but since it was so far away it didn't show up very well in the pic. But all of the other stops with the chracters seemed to be lit up very well and did just fine with the flash that was on my camera, so not to worry!

Runners come into the Boardwalk area towards the end of the race...mile 11 or 11.5-ish maybe?

cgattis,
I stayed at the Dolphin for the W and D half. The transportation was easy and smooth. I just walked over to the Boardwalk and got on the bus to get to the expo. To get to the race I went to the Beach club. No one asked where I was staying so I jumped on the bus with my bid on. I had decided that if they gave me a hard time I would take a cab or walk to Epcot to take a bus from there. I think as long as you have a number they wont give you a hard time. Walking back was fine. I was able to watch some of the runners and walkers finish.

It was a great race by the way. I was happy with my time. I had a target of under 2 hours. I ended up 2.03.26 after my stomach started to feel funny at 11.5 miles. I am still happy with the PR.

Let me know if you have any questions. Bill

I didn't make it to the race:sad1::sad1:
We were in a car accident the day we got to Orlando and I broke my arm pretty badly:sad1::sad1: So I couldn't go.

Back today. Had a amazing trip and the race was awesome!!! My goal was 2:30 and I finished in 2:23. This was my first race and I can't wait to sign up for my next!!!!

As for the post party, my wife went as a guest and got to ride TONS of rides with no wait (even got to stay on some rides w/o getting off). Once I completed the race we just hit one food booth and walked back to the room, just didn't have the energy to party and had a full week of Disney ahead of me :)

i'm confused by the sweep comments on the rundisney site...we started in corral D (even though we had c bibs, because we knew we'd be walking and wanted to be out of people's way). I was feeling good through mile 8 or so and we were averaging 15:45, but then as the race went on that slowed down a lot. I did NOT fuel correctly.
I assumed (apparenlty incorrectly) that once we got into the studios we wouldnt get swept since we were off the roads. At mile 10 someone behind me asked the pace team how we were doing and they said we were 3 minutes ahead of pace - but I know that we slowed down drastically after that, especially once we got out of the studios and I KNEW I was safe.

So back to the rundisney posts, i don't understand how anyone could possibly have been under 3 hours and gotten swept at mile 11.5. They would have been ahead of me even if they started in E at that point, and we never hit the wall of bikes.
Not saying it didn't happen - I have a friend that got (voluntarily) swept because her knee was banged up and she knew she wouldnt be able to keep the pace after mile 8, and she saw several other sweep points (at mile 9 and 10.5, she said). I'm just struggling to figure out how they possibly could have had a 3 hour time and gotten swept, unless they werent at the start line when the race started.

Just got back from WDW yesterday. I did the W&D at the beginning of our vacation.

I am really pleased with my result. I got bronchitis twice in September (only a fool like me could have a relapse 5 days before the half) and had been put on 2 weeks lung rest but still managed to be within 15 mins of my PR, even with all the picture stops and a easy pace with lots left in the tank. Hmmm, maybe that doesn't speak so well of my PR. :rotfl: Before bronchitis, I was probably on track to sub-2:00 as the weather conditions were perfect :( oh well, next time!

I found the last 5 miles really dark and boring for the most part. Should have carried a flashlight (or one of those knuckle lights I've seen on the internet).

And I know I will offend by saying this...but if you're going to do a run/walk, please do NOT stop abruptly in front of me in the middle of the route. I will run into you because I am not exactly a light nimble runner, kwim? I've got a lot of g-forces, lol. I saw so many doing their walks right in the middle of the route, even when it was crowded in the first 3 miles. I was always taught to move to either side of the route.

I was also hoping for a drink other than beer at the post-race party. There was another beer choice other than bud light but I wasn't quick enough to snag one. Even 3 oz of wine would have been preferred. I also would have liked milk/choc milk post-race rather than the powerade. But maybe milk/choc milk is a regional post-recovery drink?

I also thought the finish line area didn't properly accommodate spectators. None of my family could see that I had finished.

That being said, you can't beat the atmosphere at the start, especially with the fireworks. The first few miles had great atmosphere as well. The bag drop off and pick up were well organized. And as someone staying off-resort, I didn't find it cumbersome to drive to Epcot to be shuttled to WWoS.

I'd love to run another Disney half-marathon :)

I finished my second Wine and Dine Half last weekend and must say that, overall, Disney corrected many of the problems from last year. Lighting was better and the backstage roads were better maintained. The finish line was also much better this year as we had lots of room to walk and stretch before getting our medal, picture, water, snacks, bag, etc. I liked that they gave us a choice of beer or soda in CANS after the race so you didn't have to drink it right away. Water or chocolate milk is the only thing I can usually drink right after a long run. Although the after party was crowded, I thought the lines moved quickly at the food booths even though we only stopped at France and then I couldn't eat--too soon after the run. I heard there weren't any lines for the rides. Gift cards were a better idea than the vouchers they had last year.

On a personal note, my time was about 1 minute per mile slower than last year--2:26 compared to 2:14. I was okay with that as I've been dealing with some leg and foot problems since April. I'm also doing the Goofy in January so I didn't want to cause a flare up. My hip flexors bothered me when we left the after race party about 2:45 a.m. I think it was partially due to tensing up my muscles because I was cold. Had a jacket but wished I would have had long pants too!

I'm not planning on doing the Wine and Dine next year as I'm hoping to do the Goofy in January and the Disneyland Half next Sept. so I can get my Coast to Coast bling.

Training for the Goofy gets kicked into high gear this week as I'm following Galloway's plan with a 7 mile run/walk followed by a 17 mile run/walk the next day. This will be a good indicator as to how to pace myself.

I found the last 5 miles really dark and boring for the most part. Should have carried a flashlight (or one of those knuckle lights I've seen on the internet).

And I know I will offend by saying this...but if you're going to do a run/walk, please do NOT stop abruptly in front of me in the middle of the route. I will run into you because I am not exactly a light nimble runner, kwim? I've got a lot of g-forces, lol. I saw so many doing their walks right in the middle of the route, even when it was crowded in the first 3 miles. I was always taught to move to either side of the route.

QUOTE]

It's a night race.. So .. yeah.. It's dark. I run at night all the time. I'm used to it. I thought it had enough light not to fall.

Now.. On to you "offending" part. I view these races as disney events that runners can participate in too. If you look over all the race literature you will not find anywhere that you need to walk right and run left. It doesn't matter what you have been "taught". Most people in these runs have never been taught anything like that. So if that isn't communicated to them.. How would they know? There is no safe place to walk on the course. You can be run over left, right or center. I have to walk every so often to keep my heartrate in check. I run.. then I stop. I will try to look around and hold up my hand to signal I'm stopping. But the speed I run is faster than most joggers. heck, the speed I walk is faster than most joggers.. But I can't run only only on the right so I can stop. I really find the saftest place to run/walk these races is the center where there is room to get around me on both sides.

Oh, feel free to run into me. You'll lose.

QUOTE]

It's a night race.. So .. yeah.. It's dark. I run at night all the time. I'm used to it. I thought it had enough light not to fall.

Now.. On to you "offending" part. I view these races as disney events that runners can participate in too. If you look over all the race literature you will not find anywhere that you need to walk right and run left. It doesn't matter what you have been "taught". Most people in these runs have never been taught anything like that. So if that isn't communicated to them.. How would they know? There is no safe place to walk on the course. You can be run over left, right or center. I have to walk every so often to keep my heartrate in check. I run.. then I stop. I will try to look around and hold up my hand to signal I'm stopping. But the speed I run is faster than most joggers. heck, the speed I walk is fater than most joggers.. But I can't run only only on the right so I can stop. I really find the saftest place to run/walk these races is the center where there is room to get around me on both sides.

Oh, feel free to run into me. You'll lose.

I found your post to be a bit on the rude side...maybe it is early and you just haven't had your coffee yet? ;) Either way, in past programs there have been instructions regarding race etiquette asking runners to stay to the left and walkers to stay to the right. I always attempt to move to the right when I am doing a walking interval (not always possible when it is crowded) because running is a lot like driving a car in the U.S. Slower traffic to the right. Not news. As far as it is dark and duh it is a night race...you can still have reasonable expectations that areas considered a hazard are lighted appropriately. After all, safety is a priority. Not all of us are lucky enough to train in the dark or late at night. I would bet that the majority of runners did not have the opportunity to train in the dark. I think we all have to be considerate of others on the course regardless of if they trained properly, walk the race, do intervals, run, etc. Disney races are for fun, and to accomplish the same goal with others in a fun place. :goodvibes

Actually, the race instructions they had going on the bus (over...and over...and over again) put the onus on the runner, not the walker. They told you that if you were trying to pass someone, you should call out loudly to let the person in front of you know. Nothing about staying left or right at all.
The only instructions given to walkers was to not walk more than 2 people abreast so that there WAS room to get around you. No instructions for keep left or keep right.
I purposefully moved back a corral since I knew I was going to be walking the whole race, slower than my original plan, and wanted to be out of as many people's way as possible...and I can definitely appreciate that jogging at one pace, and then suddenly stopping, can cause problems for the people behind you. But if Disney wanted walkers to keep to the right, they needed to make that a lot clearer - for a lot of people, this was their first race so unless Disney tells them that, there's no way they would know.

I found your post to be a bit on the rude side...maybe it is early and you just haven't had your coffee yet? ;) Either way, in past programs there have been instructions regarding race etiquette asking runners to stay to the left and walkers to stay to the right. I always attempt to move to the right when I am doing a walking interval (not always possible when it is crowded) because running is a lot like driving a car in the U.S. Slower traffic to the right. Not news. As far as it is dark and duh it is a night race...you can still have reasonable expectations that areas considered a hazard are lighted appropriately. After all, safety is a priority. Not all of us are lucky enough to train in the dark or late at night. I would bet that the majority of runners did not have the opportunity to train in the dark. I think we all have to be considerate of others on the course regardless of if they trained properly, walk the race, do intervals, run, etc. Disney races are for fun, and to accomplish the same goal with others in a fun place. :goodvibes

I have had my coffee. Didn't mean to be rude. Only didn't like being threatened to be run into. I was run into in the January race.. That crew cut military type lost. In one recent post on here someone was run over and injured walking all the way over to the right.

It may have been communicated in the past. It isn't now. I can only assume people know what is in the documents they are given for this race. And, therefore adjust my tatics to that documentation. Disney races are run on very narrow courses with a large number of people for those courses. I assume most people running these races are only doing it for fun.. Have you seen the lines at the characters? Therefore I also assume they can, and will, do anything. I hope these races stay this way. Many people are only walking/running because of these "races".. If you are a serious runner... there are other events, I think..

Oh, and I didn't say "duh, it's a night race." I only thought it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter