Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

I know we're still a WAYS away, but we're already starting to think about timing goals. Hubs is looking at 10:30/m (though, he's REALLY concerned with how to keep himself occupied over two hours of running). I'm shooting for 12:30/m ... but unlike the hubs, I don't think I'll have any problem keeping my mind off the running because I'll be in one of my favorite places!!

Personally I'm not setting a time goal for the actual Disneyland event. I just want to be able to take it all in on the day, maybe stop for some characters, plenty of photos etc. However, I am aiming for a sub 2:30 half time by mid next year so that I can get a better corral.

Keep in mind that while the 5k and 10k races are mostly within the parks, the half does have quite a lot of running on the streets of Anaheim where you won't have 'Disney' entertainment.

I found a local race that has a challenge similar to DDD this spring. You can do either a 5k or 10k on Saturday, and the a half on Sunday and get an additional challenge medal.

By the time the race rolls around I will have done my first half marathon. Trying to decide if I should do the 5k or the 10k for the challenge. I would love to have a full practice of the DDD down before the summer heat kicks in, but perhaps it's better to take a smaller step first and do the 5k + half. Either way, I plan to mostly walk the Saturday race. Anyone have any advice?

It probably depends on your running history/training schedule. Have you done much back to back running? If not, I would probably start with the 5k and see how that goes for you. If you regularly run reasonable distances back to back, go for the 10k. Either one will give you an idea of how you're tracking for Dumbo.

Guess who set a new 10k PR? :goodvibes

I managed to run most of the way (25 minutes running, 2 minutes walking), and finished in 1:17. I smashed my Disneyland 10k time (my only one so far) by a solid 12 minutes! We finished strong and I recovered well, not too sore at all.

According to the McMillan calculator, this gives me a sub 3 hour half time :cool1:

I still need to shave 10 minutes off that time to get to my goal by the proof of time cut off :eek: but I'm feeling a little bit better about my chances now.

Guess who set a new 10k PR? :goodvibes I managed to run most of the way (25 minutes running, 2 minutes walking), and finished in 1:17. I smashed my Disneyland 10k time (my only one so far) by a solid 12 minutes! We finished strong and I recovered well, not too sore at all. According to the McMillan calculator, this gives me a sub 3 hour half time :cool1: I still need to shave 10 minutes off that time to get to my goal by the proof of time cut off :eek: but I'm feeling a little bit better about my chances now.

That's fantastic!! Congrats!

It probably depends on your running history/training schedule. Have you done much back to back running? If not, I would probably start with the 5k and see how that goes for you. If you regularly run reasonable distances back to back, go for the 10k. Either one will give you an idea of how you're tracking for Dumbo.

Thanks for this advice. At this point I generally run every other day, so the back-to-back of the DDD is going to be the real challenge for me. We'll see where I am in my training by the time this local race rolls around in the spring, but I'm leaning towards 5k + half just to get an idea of what the Saturday and Sunday races feel like.

Guess who set a new 10k PR? :goodvibes

I managed to run most of the way (25 minutes running, 2 minutes walking), and finished in 1:17. I smashed my Disneyland 10k time (my only one so far) by a solid 12 minutes! We finished strong and I recovered well, not too sore at all.

According to the McMillan calculator, this gives me a sub 3 hour half time :cool1:

I still need to shave 10 minutes off that time to get to my goal by the proof of time cut off :eek: but I'm feeling a little bit better about my chances now.

Way to go, zanzibar! That's awesome!

I've got my first 10K run this Saturday. I'm not super optimistic, but after two weeks in Vegas for work, my training times have steadily improved, so I don't think it will be a COMPLETE disaster. So we'll see!

I also registered for my first official 10k here at home - it's actually the weekend after registration, so I'm hoping it will give me a good measuring stick of what I should train for time-wise. Maybe? Who knows! I'm just really proud that I've cleared my biggest hurdles - I'm actually motivated to go run on my training run days. That's a BIG deal for me.

That's fantastic!! Congrats!

Way to go, zanzibar! That's awesome!

I've got my first 10K run this Saturday. I'm not super optimistic, but after two weeks in Vegas for work, my training times have steadily improved, so I don't think it will be a COMPLETE disaster. So we'll see!

I also registered for my first official 10k here at home - it's actually the weekend after registration, so I'm hoping it will give me a good measuring stick of what I should train for time-wise. Maybe? Who knows! I'm just really proud that I've cleared my biggest hurdles - I'm actually motivated to go run on my training run days. That's a BIG deal for me.

Well done Keels! It's amazing what we can do with the right motivation :thumbsup2

So, a bunch of great training runnings inspired me to register for the Rock 'n' Roll 10k at the end of January in New Orleans.

Of course, the following day, I had the WORST, most FRUSTRATING run ever. Granted - conditions were bad (cold, rainy) and I made them worse (took a dog that had no interest in 6.2 miles), but man. What a setback. I was so disappointed.

But tomorrow is another day. Gotta get everything back on track.

...the half does have quite a lot of running on the streets of Anaheim where you won't have 'Disney' entertainment.

As a slow runner I'll go further than that and say that *most* of the running is done on the streets of Anaheim.

That said, there was lots of neat stuff along the way. Marching bands, cheerleaders, theater kids. A car show. In and around Angels stadium, many many Boys Scouts and also Girl Scouts. And so on.

But unless they change the course, you're done with the parks almost before you know it, and then it's just Anaheim.

So, a bunch of great training runnings inspired me to register for the Rock 'n' Roll 10k at the end of January in New Orleans.

Of course, the following day, I had the WORST, most FRUSTRATING run ever. Granted - conditions were bad (cold, rainy) and I made them worse (took a dog that had no interest in 6.2 miles), but man. What a setback. I was so disappointed.

But tomorrow is another day. Gotta get everything back on track.

Congrats on registering for the 10k! I wish we had Rock N Roll runs over here, they look like so much fun and the bling is awesome :thumbsup2

I've given up taking my dogs on runs with me. It's a bit of a bummer coz it means I have to find time to take them for a walk another time, but they're just too much work when I'm trying to concentrate on technique, breathing, pace etc.

We all have bad days sometimes, just try to put it behind you. I'm sure you'll find you're back to normal for your next one :goodvibes

I sure hope so! I've got a long run on the training plan for tomorrow - on Christmas Day - be we'll be in NYC, so at least I'll have the scenery of Central Park to motivate me!

I'm looking forward to the RnR race. This is our first real non-local, destination race ever, so I'm excited. Plus, can't argue with a trip to New Orleans!

Happy Holidays everyone!

I leave for the WDW Marathon weekend in exactly one week. I'll be running the 1/2 Marathon. Is anyone else heading for Florida next week and/or using next weeks race as the first part of a Coast-to-Coast?

I leave for the WDW Marathon weekend in exactly one week. I'll be running the 1/2 Marathon. Is anyone else heading for Florida next week and/or using next weeks race as the first part of a Coast-to-Coast?

I'll be there. Signed up for the Goofy but going to do the Half, not both. Thought I'd be ready to do both but not this time.

I'll be there. Signed up for the Goofy but going to do the Half, not both. Thought I'd be ready to do both but not this time.

Definitely better to do the race you feel comfortable with. I'm doing the 1/2 next week with my eyes set on Dumbo for September.

Me me me! I leave on Wednesday!! :)

Wednesday?!?? Lucky!!! :thumbsup2 I just get to dash in on Friday, and back out on Sunday. I'll get very limited park time on this trip.
Yep! Gotta get my bibs in time for the 5K on Thursday. Good luck and have fun!!

So jealous!!! I know all y'all will do great!

I have my first big "official" run at the end of the month, so that's what I'm focusing on. We're doing the Rock 'N' Roll 10K in New Orleans - so that will be my time submission for Disneyland registration. Eek! I'm kinda nervous already ... :scared:

At least we've got another one on the books for the end of February, before Wine & Dine registration.

Good luck everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter