Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

All joking aside, I think it's feasible to walk the 10K and do some sort of walk/run for the half and finish within the 3.5 hours without problem.

I hadn't heard the other name - someone mentioned Dopey Rebels while on the bus this past weekend. Maybe there's multiple names :confused3

So this is going to be my first 1/2 marathon! Eeek! I have been looking at the Charity Group idea and I like the idea of giving back while doing this. First problem, though, is that there are no charities listed on the site for this. Does anyone know when these will be listed? Also, does anyone here have experience with running with a Charity Group? Tips? Thoughts? Thanks all!

Side note: I am a WDW fan through and through. We did our first Disneyland trip last year in an effort to start checking off every Disney experience. I have to say that I actually like DL better than WDW. It's closer to park hop, crowds are better, and while it has all of the classic rides I like, I also liked all of the different ones not at WDW. I'm excited that the Light Side is at DL!

I dont know when the charities will be listed on the website. In 2016 I ran with Team Muscle Makers for UCMD and I'm most likely going to run for them again in 2018. You can check them out on their website and facebook page. I emailed them to be put on their interest likest for 2018. Their fundraising amount is smaller than some and they're a small charity which appealed to me. It definitely made the run more meaningful for me. Fundraising wasn't too hard. I have trouble coming up with neat ideas but I managed to raise what I needed to raise. I'm confident I could do it again and I like the idea of giving back. Good luck with your first half! It will be an amazing experience no matter how you register!

Well, I'm new enough to rD that I don't know what the Dopey Rebel is, but I'm seriously considering the Kessel run for next year.
I'll know for certain after Dark Side, but I strongly believe that any Star Wars fan who at least tolerates running should do the Kessel Run if circumstances permit.

I dont know when the charities will be listed on the website. In 2016 I ran with Team Muscle Makers for UCMD and I'm most likely going to run for them again in 2018. You can check them out on their website and facebook page. I emailed them to be put on their interest likest for 2018. Their fundraising amount is smaller than some and they're a small charity which appealed to me. It definitely made the run more meaningful for me. Fundraising wasn't too hard. I have trouble coming up with neat ideas but I managed to raise what I needed to raise. I'm confident I could do it again and I like the idea of giving back. Good luck with your first half! It will be an amazing experience no matter how you register!

Thanks! I will check out UCMD as well! :)

I'm seriously considering the Kessle run next year too. Except, I've never done a half before, just the 10K. With under a year to train is that doable? Or am I kidding myself? I really want that millennium falcon medal. :chewy:

I'm seriously considering the Kessle run next year too. Except, I've never done a half before, just the 10K. With under a year to train is that doable? Or am I kidding myself? I really want that millennium falcon medal. :chewy:

Most half training plans I've seen are 12 -18 week plans. Under a year is totally doable. I went from couch to Half marathon for my first Disney race and I took it very slow- 9 months. Since you've already done 10k you're well ahead of even that.

I signed up for the 2011 Disneyland Half in February of 2011 and didn't start to train until May. And then I slacked off early in training and had to skip the short weekend runs just to get all the long runs in. And then finished the race roughly 10 minutes faster than my training speed.

Most half training plans I've seen are 12 -18 week plans. Under a year is totally doable. I went from couch to Half marathon for my first Disney race and I took it very slow- 9 months. Since you've already done 10k you're well ahead of even that.
Exactly. My first Half was couch to Half and I trained for 4 months before the race and I finished. In some ways, the distance is more of a mental hurdle than a physical one. I'm not saying it's easy. I am saying that it's very possible especially when you already have running experience.

You've got almost a year to train. Plenty of time to pick up the Galloway plan and start your journey! :)
Make sure to find a 10k or half to run before race day to see what it feels like. There's plenty of races offered in the next 9 months. You got this!!!!!

Question about early registration with an AP, how exactly does that work. Log in to your AP account and go from there or put in your AP pass number in the Active registration?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter