Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I have a slightly materialistic question but please bear with me. Does anyone know if the medal you receive from the Light Side Half Marathon is always the same? As in the medal that looks like the one Luke and Han get at the end of A New Hope?

I ran the Princess Half last year with a group and we had a great time and it's time to think about doing it again- but now one of the group really wants to do one at Disneyland. We definitely don't just go for the races- last year it was a five day vacation and we went to all the parks and loved every minute. And frankly Disneyland- with no Animal Kingdom or EPCOT or Hollwood Studios just doesn't sound like as fun of a vacation as a Disney World trip.

BUT- I love that medal. I might be persuaded to once, just once, plunk down money on a subpar Disney Vacation if I got that medal. But I know the other races like Princess the medals vary year to year. Has anyone done this race twice and did the medal look the same?

I frequent both coasts, but am a little partial to Disneyland since I live in CA and worked in the Disneyland College Program. DL is just as much fun as WDW, just different. The history alone is unique, being the original and the only park that Walt actually walked in. Yes, you will not get to drink around the world, see the animals in AK or ride Everest. But, there are so many other unique opportunities you should experience. Blue Bayou is a great restaurant to share with friends, POTC and IASW are hands down superior to their WDW counterparts, Cars Land is beautiful and amazing, the Matterhorn, Disneyland Hotel is the most Disney hotel of both coasts, and the list goes on. You will have just as much fun with your friends in DL and make new memories and experiences together.

Thank you all! I actually did just buy the Gallow app and it looks pretty doable, so I'm gonna go for it! Thanks again for being so encouragement.

Last edited:
Question about early registration with an AP, how exactly does that work. Log in to your AP account and go from there or put in your AP pass number in the Active registration?
There is a link within the Disneyland AP website that will take you to early registration through Active. If you're worried about it selling out, then set up an active account beforehand.

I frequent both coasts, but am a little partial to Disneyland since I live in CA and worked in the Disneyland College Program. DL is just as much fun as WDW, just different. The history alone is unique, being the original and the only park that Walt actually walked in. Yes, you will not get to drink around the world, see the animals in AK or ride Everest. But, there are so many other unique opportunities you should experience. Blue Bayou is a great restaurant to share with friends, POTC and IASW are hands down superior to their WDW counterparts, Cars Land is beautiful and amazing, the Matterhorn, Disneyland Hotel is the most Disney hotel of both coasts, and the list goes on. You will have just as much fun with your friends in DL and make new memories and experiences together.
This is so true. I'm not one to bash WDW because I really love it, but whenever people who have never visited Disneyland start to rip on it because it isn't WDW, I will point out the myriad of experiences that WDW does not offer. And the one experience that it can never offer, namely the ability to experience the only theme park in history personally supervised by Walt Disney. Anyone who respects and admires Walt Disney needs to experience his theme park.

There is a link within the Disneyland AP website that will take you to early registration through Active. If you're worried about it selling out, then set up an active account beforehand.

There's also a link on the WDW AP site. You can use AP registration for DL races even if your AP is for WDW.

Thanks. Yes, I already have an Active account. This will be my first time doing pre-registration, I am normally involved in the mad dash of regular registration. Taking my 12 year old son for the first time. Doing a Mom/Son Star Wars weekend.

We are contemplating kessel run for both of us and I may be a Dopey rebel.

Someone tell me that Dopey Rebel is a terrible idea. :rotfl:
2 years ago I did the marathon + Rebel Challenge. The half during Star Wars was one of my slowest ever but I was able to finish well within the time limit. I'm 99% sure I'm doing Dopey + Rebel this year.

Raw threads had Challenge bibs available so I grabbed mine this morning. So it looks like I'm doing Dopey then five days later another 19.3 miles to earn coast to coast within the first week. :D

I cannot wait to wear my raw threads tank that says: "I find my lack of training disturbing" :rotfl:
I think at this point the 10k will be a literal walk in the park and the half a walk/run for just completing it. Yeah!

I'll be registering DS for the kids race and DD for the 10k on Thursday as long as they don't sell out immediately. I'm still leaning towards doing a charity for my Rebel Challenge registration.

Thank you all! I actually did just buy the Gallow app and it looks pretty doable, so I'm gonna go for it! Thanks again for being so encouragement.

So jealous!! I wonder if and when the app will be available for Android.

I'm still leaning towards doing a charity for my Rebel Challenge registration.

I've signed up to run Kellsie's Hope and it was a painless easy fundraising process. I would start with them since they're one of the lower tier of fundraising goals and I felt comfortable covering the difference if I couldn't get the money.

I've signed up to run Kellsie's Hope and it was a painless easy fundraising process. I would start with them since they're one of the lower tier of fundraising goals and I felt comfortable covering the difference if I couldn't get the money.
Thanks! I'll look into them too!

I'm seriously considering the Kessle run next year too. Except, I've never done a half before, just the 10K. With under a year to train is that doable? Or am I kidding myself? I really want that millennium falcon medal. :chewy:
I've never done a half either, but I am planning the Kessel Run for 2018, too. Nothing motivates like a star wars medal, right? :thumbsup2

I've never done a half either, but I am planning the Kessel Run for 2018, too. Nothing motivates like a star wars medal, right? :thumbsup2

Amen to that! I did the SWLS half for the first time in January. And I'm signed up for the Rebel Challenge for 2018, and also tentatively planning on the Kessel Run as well.

What do you think will sell out first-the 5K or 10K? I normally sign up for the challenges and just me. This time around I am taking my two boys and not doing a challenge. 5K for 3 of us and 10K for two of us. I am stressed about getting us all in. My boys are 9 & 12, I can't get them signed up and not me. I will be doing the AP early registration and then jumping on for regular registration for what I don't get. Any advice on a plan of attack?

Prevailing strategy for most rD races is to register for the 10K first, as most of the bibs for the 10K are reserved for challenge runners.

What do you think will sell out first-the 5K or 10K? I normally sign up for the challenges and just me. This time around I am taking my two boys and not doing a challenge. 5K for 3 of us and 10K for two of us. I am stressed about getting us all in. My boys are 9 & 12, I can't get them signed up and not me. I will be doing the AP early registration and then jumping on for regular registration for what I don't get. Any advice on a plan of attack?
As a general rule, the kids races and 10k are usually the first to go.

I'm in for the Kessel Run in 2018 too!

I'm also bringing my 13 yo who will just do the 5k so my plan is to sign up for the 5ks first, then the challenge. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter