"Official" 2023 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - Let's Get Spooky!

Has anyone carried a plastic ax or hatchet as part of their costume? Thanks to a hurricane my Haunted Mansion bride costume went to Oogie Boogie Bash instead of MNSSHP. While I saw a few axes in bridal bouquets in WDW in 2018/2019, at DL in 2022 I was told the (not edged, not sharp, child-sized) toy was a weapon and couldn't be carried into the park. I'm wondering if we've got any actual on the ground experience from last's years party.

The ax in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F286T2Q
I'm guessing you've read Disney's guidelines, but they definitely are just vague enough that I'd expect this to be fully at a CM's discretion and that's why you've seen it go either way.
  • Costumes may not contain any props or accessories that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
  • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus.
So toy swords are ok, but nothing that "could be mistaken for" an actual weapon.... makes me think the axe is a toss up.

Sorry I don't have any real world experience to add.

I'm guessing you've read Disney's guidelines, but they definitely are just vague enough that I'd expect this to be fully at a CM's discretion and that's why you've seen it go either way.
  • Costumes may not contain any props or accessories that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
  • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus.
So toy swords are ok, but nothing that "could be mistaken for" an actual weapon.... makes me think the axe is a toss up.

Sorry I don't have any real world experience to add.
That's what I got from the guidelines, and I did see axes in 2019...hence why I'm hoping someone can speak to last year's ax count. I figure with the Haunted Mansion movie coming out there's bound to be one or two other brides out there. And if it matters, the ax was duct taped into a bouquet of roses, and was still called a weapon at DL.

So we have tickets to MNSSHP and I made a 6pm dining reservation at Skipper Canteen (my wife can’t eat the included snacks so I need to feed her LOL). Will we be able to get our bands for the party before we sit for dinner or will we have to go exit the park and go back in again to get our bands?
Thanks

I know this isn't your question, but I caught something in your post that I thought I'd clarify.

There are no "included" snacks in the party outside of the Halloween candy. There are party-specific snacks, but you have to buy them.

We are now watching the fireworks from the Garden view with the desserts! I know it's standing room but the view will be better than sitting in TT, and it's our final day in the parks, so why not go big?

Our 'dinner' is at BoG at 3:50. I figured by the time we were sat and food arrived it would be closer to 4:30 and what we're used to for dinner anyway. And then dessert 4-5 hours later works out great for us.

My Merida costume is already packed AND I get to hit the DLR Oogie Boogie party this year too, so I can compare the two parties. I'm super excited about it all.

Would the dessert party and 1st parade both be doable on the same night?
I was wondering the same thing but I'm thinking it won't work because the dessert parties start at 9:15 for seated and 8:45 standing. I was trying to find out if the parade it still at 9:15 and 11:15 this year or not. Has that been posted?

Going in August with three kiddos (16/14/7) and we plan on making it to the end of the night as we killed it last summer with park closing.
What are people's thoughts on a better strategy:
-Watch first parade and fireworks and then ride/meet characters during second parade
or
-Ride/meet characters during first parade, then watch fireworks and second parade?

We are happy either way, just wondering what is better use of our time. :) Thanks!

Going in August with three kiddos (16/14/7) and we plan on making it to the end of the night as we killed it last summer with park closing.
-Watch first parade and fireworks and then ride/meet characters during second parade
or
-Ride/meet characters during first parade, then watch fireworks and second parade?

We are happy either way, just wondering what is better use of our time. :) Thanks!
Most strategies I've read seem to imply that the first parade is much more crowded, as many of the guests with younger kids will watch the first parade/fireworks and then leave.
Based on that, I'd say it's smarter to knock out some characters during the first parade, and then enjoy the second parade.

Disney wrote back to me confirming this (bolding added): "We encourage our Guests to wear costumes to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party! As you select your costume for this event, please keep the following guidelines in mind. As a reminder, ultimately it is up to security at Park entry to authorize or deny your accessory."

Most strategies I've read seem to imply that the first parade is much more crowded, as many of the guests with younger kids will watch the first parade/fireworks and then leave.
Based on that, I'd say it's smarter to knock out some characters during the first parade, and then enjoy the second parade.
We used that strategy one year during MNSSHP and got a lot done during the first parade. Then it poured afterwards and they did not perform the 2nd parade! There was only about a 20% chance of rain that night and before the time of everyone glued to their phones and weather apps (12ish years ago) so it wasn't really expected. We were so bummed about not seeing the parade that year so we always go for the first parade viewing since the parade is our favorite part of the event.

That's what I got from the guidelines, and I did see axes in 2019...hence why I'm hoping someone can speak to last year's ax count. I figure with the Haunted Mansion movie coming out there's bound to be one or two other brides out there. And if it matters, the ax was duct taped into a bouquet of roses, and was still called a weapon at DL.
If it were me, I'd rather plan a costume that I knew would be allowed rather than spend the time in the run up to the party worried that I wasn't going to be let in. A toy axe sounds like it has a pretty good chance of being vetoed by the CMs, especially if you had that experience already last year. Can you plan a different accessory, without the axe? Just the bouquet of flowers? Sure, it might be less authentic, but you wouldn't have any worries about it not being allowed.

We used that strategy one year during MNSSHP and got a lot done during the first parade. Then it poured afterwards and they did not perform the 2nd parade! There was only about a 20% chance of rain that night and before the time of everyone glued to their phones and weather apps (12ish years ago) so it wasn't really expected. We were so bummed about not seeing the parade that year so we always go for the first parade viewing since the parade is our favorite part of the event.
We saw the parade in 2019 and found a spot right by the bridge next to sleepy hollow QS. Right before the parade a whole family pushed in front of us and my 4 year old so that we ended up behind a garbage can and were stuck there. Do you have any tips for a good (relatively safe from pushing) spot to see the parade?

or

It’s tricky, cause strategies tend to go out the window due to unpredictable weather, especially during the August parties. I go to both parades since I love them so. What I’ve noticed is that when the weather is drizzly/rainy early In the evening, many people decide to go to the second parade, hoping the weather will improve, so the first parade is less busy.

or

I used to do rides during the first parade/watch the second but have watched the first parade/done rides during the second parade the past two parties because the posted wait times for rides during the first parade were higher than I wanted. Personally, the wait times for rides seems to increase every year (although it often just comes down to luck in terms of the party and what attendees seem to be prioritizing). So I figure that if I'm going to be waiting around during the early part of the party, then I might as well do it while enjoying some treats and sitting on the ground in Frontierland waiting for the first parade. Then, I get the benefit of shorter ride wait times during the second parade.

I would recommend if you're not going to the first party to check ride wait times during the first and second parade at earlier parties. There will also be reports in this thread that are helpful. Depending on your group's ride priorities, the wait times during the first parade might be low enough that riding then would work for you. But you might be wanting to do rides that have enough of a difference in wait times that you would rather ride them later.

And just as a side note, when I say longer wait times, obviously the posted waits aren't as long as during a typical day. But with the party being only a few hours long, your time to do things go by fast. So it's up to you to decide the best way to use your time.

Has anyone carried a plastic ax or hatchet as part of their costume? Thanks to a hurricane my Haunted Mansion bride costume went to Oogie Boogie Bash instead of MNSSHP. While I saw a few axes in bridal bouquets in WDW in 2018/2019, at DL in 2022 I was told the (not edged, not sharp, child-sized) toy was a weapon and couldn't be carried into the park. I'm wondering if we've got any actual on the ground experience from last's years party.

The ax in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F286T2Q
NOPE. There is nothing confusing about the park rules which list under Prohibited Items “Objects or toys that appear to be firearms or weapons”. Nor is their anything confusing about the costume guidelines that say “Costumes may not contain any props or accessories that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon”. That thing literally resembles an Ax. There is no carve out in the costume guidelines for fake weapons because Disney characters have them. Even if security lets you in (they absolutely should not) any CM in the park can stop you at any time and make you leave for violating costume and/or park rules.

Going in early October to our first MNSSHP. Trying to think of costumes for our family but we are having a difficult time. Me and my wife and two sons ages 9 and 7. Thinking of Wreck it Ralph but needing some ideas.

Disney wrote back to me confirming this (bolding added): "We encourage our Guests to wear costumes to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party! As you select your costume for this event, please keep the following guidelines in mind. As a reminder, ultimately it is up to security at Park entry to authorize or deny your accessory."
if it is going to be part of a bouquet, just make one out of cardboard or foamboard, then it will be more obvious fake prob... that plastic one is very realistic looking... maybe glitter lol... could make it ghostly with glow in the dark paint

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter