*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

I can't even fathom how people go bagless. I don't bring a ton of stuff with me but I NEED to have: reading glasses/sunglasses, sunscreen, phone, charger, bandaids, aspirin, chapstick, poncho, umbrella, water bottle, credit card/money, camera. And because this trip is in August, add cooling towels and misting fan. There is just no way on earth I can go *anywhere* without those things, lol.

I agree. I'm nervous about not having a stroller to put stuff in since it will be our first trip without one. But I have to have certain things, especially in this heat and I detest having to purchase things in the park that I could have brought with me, mainly due to cost. We went to Sea World some years back and I left our hotel room without the sunscreen. It was October and it was 84 degrees. Ended up paying $10 for a 2oz tube.

As our trip gets closer it seems that I am more and more busy and have less time to come onto the boards. Trying to get caught up and keep caught up on this board though. Love that everybody's trip is getting close and can't wait to start reading some more reports.

Started packing last week and will do some more the end of this week. The tricky part will be timing out all the laundry!

Now I am starting to stress about weather. We are expecting the thunderstorms and will come prepared even if there is more rain. I just really don't want our travel days to be effected. Most importantly we HAVE to get home on Friday 25th. Hoping Mother nature is with us all this month!
We've had chance if rain ~50% every day, so far it has missed where we are at. The cloud cover is very nice though!

I can't even fathom how people go bagless. I don't bring a ton of stuff with me but I NEED to have: reading glasses/sunglasses, sunscreen, phone, charger, bandaids, aspirin, chapstick, poncho, umbrella, water bottle, credit card/money, camera. And because this trip is in August, add cooling towels and misting fan. There is just no way on earth I can go *anywhere* without those things, lol.
Highly recommend bagless if you can- sunglasses on my head, sunscreen in am prior to leaving room, phone in pocket (ditto fuel rod chargers - bonus swap out depleted rods on the go at all parks and resorts&land it's small), bandaids and couple Tylenol, chopstick in an clean small sandwich bag (pocket) haven't. We'd dponchos nor umbrellas (yet) and had only threatened rain in afternoon breaks anyway, cooling towel around my neck, fan in my hand (or a kids hand. Water bottle easy to carry and refill at QS. It's so dang HOT it's a relief to not have an extra layer on my back.
I have a lanyard with waterproof pouch I use too- carries the band aid, credit card or cash, ID, AP card. And phone can go in there too. Let's me go though bagless line while still having place for "stuff". It's so hot I've been avoiding sun and walking in shade or through shops. Breeze through security lines.
Or if you plan to hop without taking resort break highly highly recommend express bus! Only go through security once (well until leave through main gate). Did 4 parks in one day plus resort break for a swim on Tuesday.

Only 3 days till our Disney trip. So excited.

giphy.gif

Just stopping by quick to say hello and say we are back from our awesome trip! Crowds were crazy and weather was hot, but if you plan and know what you are doing you will be fine! It was amazing how many times I heard while we were walking that they didn't know anything about fast passes or where anything was in the park. I know most of us here are major planners, but I don't' know how you can go an plan a trip as expensive as this one can be and have no idea about what you are doing! My DH who just goes a long with what I plan said the same thing. I will come back when I have a little more time to tell more about what we experienced (both the good and the bad!)

How much rain did you get? Just the normal afternoon T-storms?

And best laid plans- son woke up last night with congestion and not feeling well. Cold med for him and we all slept in this am instead of RD at MK and I just cancelled BoG lunch. Will do pool time/Disney springs instead before heading to Studios for evening fast passes and fireworks.
But my oldest DD will get to hang with us and go to lunch now. She gets her main gate CM pass Saturday!

And best laid plans- son woke up last night with congestion and not feeling well. Cold med for him and we all slept in this am instead of RD at MK and I just cancelled BoG lunch. Will do pool time/Disney springs instead before heading to Studios for evening fast passes and fireworks.
But my oldest DD will get to hang with us and go to lunch now. She gets her main gate CM pass Saturday!

Fast speed to DS on recovery. Hope he feels better soon.

Okay I am back! Kind of sad that our trip is over, but since we are planning a full family trip over Christmas it kind of makes it a little better! Here are some highlights (and low lights) of our trip!

We arrived late on Tuesday the 1st and was able to get right off our plan, get over to the main building and get our luggage and load onto the Magical Express and to our resort in a little under an hour (AMAZING!) Our stops for our buss was Coronado Springs and the All Star Resorts (we started off at All Star Sports). Throughout the day I kept checking my MDE and texts to see if we had gotten our room assignment and no text and MDE kept saying to check back for room number. Didn't think too much of it (even thought I had done online check in, room was paid in full, and had minimal requests) but since I had booked with my AP discount for the first time I thought maybe they needed to see my card. When we got to ASSp it was almost 11:00 pm and we were starving and food court closed at midnight so we thought a quick check in and head to get food before it closed. Yep that didn't happen. Stood in line for almost a half and hour before we got to check in! No big deal, except that the check in was less than magical and the cast member actually said that we were already checked in and should just go to our room and she didn't need to see my pass. I would of loved to have just done that but I didn't have a room number! She just gave us a map and wrote our room number down and sent us on our way. It was late and I understand she was probably done with people that day but really didn't feel like we were at Disney, just another resort/hotel anywhere in the world. DH and I then get to the food court and get our food and pick up refillable mugs. Go to fill our mugs for the first time and DH's mug doesn't want to work. Seriously! Luckily a manager was right there and we got it fixed. All I wanted to do at this time was head to our room and get our Garden Grocer order called to be brought to our room. Our room was in the football section in the back all the way to the parking lot. No big deal, we got an end room and it was quiet. We notice that the lights are on in the room and window curtains completely open and stuff sitting on the table (looked like a grocery order). Thought that was a little weird and then neither of our bands would open the room! Not a happy camper I was. So we trek back to the front desk with all of our luggage and food to get them to let us in our room (and make sure that it was the right room!) Got the same cast member when I went back and she looked at me like I had two heads when I told her lights were on, a grocery order was on the table and we couldn't get in. She had no explanation of why the lights were on and why our order had been delivered without us there, but said that was our room and had to reprogram our bands to get in. At the end she must of looked at our reservation again and noticed our anniversary and just gave us buttons and sent us on our way. I just wanted to get to our room by this point. Once we made our way back to our room again (with cold food) we were finally able to get in and settle in for the night. The garden grocer order was ours and the few things that were supposed to be refrigerated were put into the refrigerator, but no one could tell us why it was brought into our room before we were even there, let alone put into our room with out us there.

For our park trips we purchased the Express Transportation pass for the week and I can't say anything but positive about our experiences with this service. For $29 a person, you get 7 straight days of being able to go park to park without bag check or turnstiles. They depart every 30 minutes from each park and each bus driver was amazing and had a great attitude! We are definitely going to utilize this service for the whole family at Christmas time.

We also did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the Plaza Garden Dessert Party and was impressed by both! The tour was amazing and our guide was hilarious! It was an experience that I will remember for a long time. The dessert party was great also. We got there a little later than our reservation time, but still had plenty of time for all the desserts and drinks that we wanted and they were refilling up until the end. We chose the plaza garden viewing for the straight on view of the show and it was amazing! I will always have a special place in my heart for Wished because it was our first nighttime show we ever saw as a family, but the new show is just as equally amazing and the castle projections are something you don't want to miss.

Our parks experiences were all good. At times it was crazy busy, but we got to most of everything we wanted and was able to get more fast passes at every park that we went too. I think that it helped that it was just the 2 of us, but I figured out that if I didn't get exactly what I wanted to pick the one closest and refresh/modify and was able to get almost everything I wanted. Even a 7dmt for the evening.

Our food experiences were also really good. We did a few TS, including Tony's Town Square which doesn't get much love but was good and what I was expecting, and had no complaints! BOG dinner, Coral Reef, Ohana breakfast, and BOG lunch were a few places we ate. We also did Via Napoli which was amazing!

Overall the weather was really good. Had a few afternoon/evening rain showers but they weren't bad and it was warm and humid most of the time. Taking our time, water, and ducking into indoor attractions or ques really helped our touring this year.

So after all of these awesome experiences in the parks we were hoping that the rest of our time would be the same, but alas more issues with ASSp and our room, guests and overall resort. This was my second time staying at this resort (DS and I were there last December and had an amazing experience!) so I was looking forward to staying here with my DH. After the first night issue with bands I figured we had gotten them all worked out, but again had to go back to the front desk the next day because once again my band wouldn't work. They took my band and said that they had fixed it, so when we got to our room we used my band and it worked to get in. Didn't try DH's because his had worked earlier when mine didn't. We went on with our next day and then the following day we did half day at parks and headed back to do some laundry. I left my band and things in our room because DH had all his stuff and we were just going to do laundry and refill our mugs. This apparently wasn't supposed to be as once we get back to our room, we can't get in! AHHH!!!! I am done with this by this time and went back up to the front desk and asked to be moved resorts. We got an amazing Cast Member that understood where we were coming from and moved hills and mountains to get us a new room at a different resort. I am not one to complain at all and will just go with the flow, but 3 times in 4 days we couldn't get in our room and we still had 3 1/2 days at the resorts and I didn't want to come back to our resort every night wondering if we could get into our room. In the end he was able to move us to Coronado Springs in a refurbished King room, gave us a Mears voucher to get us to the resort and made a key card so we could get into our room. This was amazing and I couldn't of asked for any better treatment than we got with this cast member. This may have been a fluke with our door or bands, but just one time too many for me. Also this time it seemed that we could hear every toilet flush from up above our room (or else the room above us was having major issues) at all times of the day and night and the resort was not clean. Pool towels left by walkways and stairs, garbage thrown onto the lawn and side walks and guests leaving garbage outside their rooms (at night time). We had never experienced this before (and we had been there in December it is immaculate!) so I am not sure if the guests were worse than what we had experienced before or if mousekeeping/janitorial staff were not able to keep up. It was sad to see and I am pretty sure it was more the guests and rudeness than the cast members (who just throws towels all over the resorts? This was also not even near any of the pools either!)

As crappy as an experience as it was at ASSp, it was complete opposite at Coronado Springs. Our check in was amazing and our cast member even programmed a gray band just for the room so we wouldn't have issues with getting into our rooms and made sure that we knew where we were going, what was going on at the parks and made sure that our Magical Express was correct and they had our switch in the system. I can't say enough about the feeling I got when we were treated like guest, not just another number coming into the resort.

Sorry for the long post! We did have a great time and I have a feeling that our experience at ASSp was just a fluke (since we had a great time there just that winter) but our Coronado stay has put us in forever in the moderate or up category. Hope that everyone else has a great time on their trips!

Okay I am back! Kind of sad that our trip is over, but since we are planning a full family trip over Christmas it kind of makes it a little better! Here are some highlights (and low lights) of our trip!

We arrived late on Tuesday the 1st and was able to get right off our plan, get over to the main building and get our luggage and load onto the Magical Express and to our resort in a little under an hour (AMAZING!) Our stops for our buss was Coronado Springs and the All Star Resorts (we started off at All Star Sports). Throughout the day I kept checking my MDE and texts to see if we had gotten our room assignment and no text and MDE kept saying to check back for room number. Didn't think too much of it (even thought I had done online check in, room was paid in full, and had minimal requests) but since I had booked with my AP discount for the first time I thought maybe they needed to see my card. When we got to ASSp it was almost 11:00 pm and we were starving and food court closed at midnight so we thought a quick check in and head to get food before it closed. Yep that didn't happen. Stood in line for almost a half and hour before we got to check in! No big deal, except that the check in was less than magical and the cast member actually said that we were already checked in and should just go to our room and she didn't need to see my pass. I would of loved to have just done that but I didn't have a room number! She just gave us a map and wrote our room number down and sent us on our way. It was late and I understand she was probably done with people that day but really didn't feel like we were at Disney, just another resort/hotel anywhere in the world. DH and I then get to the food court and get our food and pick up refillable mugs. Go to fill our mugs for the first time and DH's mug doesn't want to work. Seriously! Luckily a manager was right there and we got it fixed. All I wanted to do at this time was head to our room and get our Garden Grocer order called to be brought to our room. Our room was in the football section in the back all the way to the parking lot. No big deal, we got an end room and it was quiet. We notice that the lights are on in the room and window curtains completely open and stuff sitting on the table (looked like a grocery order). Thought that was a little weird and then neither of our bands would open the room! Not a happy camper I was. So we trek back to the front desk with all of our luggage and food to get them to let us in our room (and make sure that it was the right room!) Got the same cast member when I went back and she looked at me like I had two heads when I told her lights were on, a grocery order was on the table and we couldn't get in. She had no explanation of why the lights were on and why our order had been delivered without us there, but said that was our room and had to reprogram our bands to get in. At the end she must of looked at our reservation again and noticed our anniversary and just gave us buttons and sent us on our way. I just wanted to get to our room by this point. Once we made our way back to our room again (with cold food) we were finally able to get in and settle in for the night. The garden grocer order was ours and the few things that were supposed to be refrigerated were put into the refrigerator, but no one could tell us why it was brought into our room before we were even there, let alone put into our room with out us there.

For our park trips we purchased the Express Transportation pass for the week and I can't say anything but positive about our experiences with this service. For $29 a person, you get 7 straight days of being able to go park to park without bag check or turnstiles. They depart every 30 minutes from each park and each bus driver was amazing and had a great attitude! We are definitely going to utilize this service for the whole family at Christmas time.

We also did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the Plaza Garden Dessert Party and was impressed by both! The tour was amazing and our guide was hilarious! It was an experience that I will remember for a long time. The dessert party was great also. We got there a little later than our reservation time, but still had plenty of time for all the desserts and drinks that we wanted and they were refilling up until the end. We chose the plaza garden viewing for the straight on view of the show and it was amazing! I will always have a special place in my heart for Wished because it was our first nighttime show we ever saw as a family, but the new show is just as equally amazing and the castle projections are something you don't want to miss.

Our parks experiences were all good. At times it was crazy busy, but we got to most of everything we wanted and was able to get more fast passes at every park that we went too. I think that it helped that it was just the 2 of us, but I figured out that if I didn't get exactly what I wanted to pick the one closest and refresh/modify and was able to get almost everything I wanted. Even a 7dmt for the evening.

Our food experiences were also really good. We did a few TS, including Tony's Town Square which doesn't get much love but was good and what I was expecting, and had no complaints! BOG dinner, Coral Reef, Ohana breakfast, and BOG lunch were a few places we ate. We also did Via Napoli which was amazing!

Overall the weather was really good. Had a few afternoon/evening rain showers but they weren't bad and it was warm and humid most of the time. Taking our time, water, and ducking into indoor attractions or ques really helped our touring this year.

So after all of these awesome experiences in the parks we were hoping that the rest of our time would be the same, but alas more issues with ASSp and our room, guests and overall resort. This was my second time staying at this resort (DS and I were there last December and had an amazing experience!) so I was looking forward to staying here with my DH. After the first night issue with bands I figured we had gotten them all worked out, but again had to go back to the front desk the next day because once again my band wouldn't work. They took my band and said that they had fixed it, so when we got to our room we used my band and it worked to get in. Didn't try DH's because his had worked earlier when mine didn't. We went on with our next day and then the following day we did half day at parks and headed back to do some laundry. I left my band and things in our room because DH had all his stuff and we were just going to do laundry and refill our mugs. This apparently wasn't supposed to be as once we get back to our room, we can't get in! AHHH!!!! I am done with this by this time and went back up to the front desk and asked to be moved resorts. We got an amazing Cast Member that understood where we were coming from and moved hills and mountains to get us a new room at a different resort. I am not one to complain at all and will just go with the flow, but 3 times in 4 days we couldn't get in our room and we still had 3 1/2 days at the resorts and I didn't want to come back to our resort every night wondering if we could get into our room. In the end he was able to move us to Coronado Springs in a refurbished King room, gave us a Mears voucher to get us to the resort and made a key card so we could get into our room. This was amazing and I couldn't of asked for any better treatment than we got with this cast member. This may have been a fluke with our door or bands, but just one time too many for me. Also this time it seemed that we could hear every toilet flush from up above our room (or else the room above us was having major issues) at all times of the day and night and the resort was not clean. Pool towels left by walkways and stairs, garbage thrown onto the lawn and side walks and guests leaving garbage outside their rooms (at night time). We had never experienced this before (and we had been there in December it is immaculate!) so I am not sure if the guests were worse than what we had experienced before or if mousekeeping/janitorial staff were not able to keep up. It was sad to see and I am pretty sure it was more the guests and rudeness than the cast members (who just throws towels all over the resorts? This was also not even near any of the pools either!)

As crappy as an experience as it was at ASSp, it was complete opposite at Coronado Springs. Our check in was amazing and our cast member even programmed a gray band just for the room so we wouldn't have issues with getting into our rooms and made sure that we knew where we were going, what was going on at the parks and made sure that our Magical Express was correct and they had our switch in the system. I can't say enough about the feeling I got when we were treated like guest, not just another number coming into the resort.

Sorry for the long post! We did have a great time and I have a feeling that our experience at ASSp was just a fluke (since we had a great time there just that winter) but our Coronado stay has put us in forever in the moderate or up category. Hope that everyone else has a great time on their trips!

that is so disappointing about the room! But wow what a way to make up for it! Did you feel like Coronado was kept a lot cleaner than sports? In 2015 we stayed at PORFQ, we were a little disappointed for a moderate. I loved the resort but my mom had issues with a plug in her room and instead of moving them to another room they had workers in her room with her trying to fix it, then we had huge bags of garbage left outside our doors for 2 full days even I called numerous times to have them removed. I even asked where the dumpster was so I could throw them out myself. Just didn't feel like disney, but other than that it was a great time and I would still go back I think we just had some bad juju those couple of days

We are checking into All-Star Sports in a week; so I hope it was just a random thing. We will also be getting in pretty late. Got a really good deal on plane tickets and we’ll be traveling in the evening. Glad they made it right for you though. That is one of the many reasons I stay on site. If you’re off site and end up in a crappy situation you’re on your own to fix it if it can be fixed.

I will say I have had Garden Grocer delivered and placed in the room while we were out probably twice before when they got there ahead of us. They just kept the perishable items when we had them.

Glad you had a good trip overall and how exciting to be going back in just a few months.

that is so disappointing about the room! But wow what a way to make up for it! Did you feel like Coronado was kept a lot cleaner than sports? In 2015 we stayed at PORFQ, we were a little disappointed for a moderate. I loved the resort but my mom had issues with a plug in her room and instead of moving them to another room they had workers in her room with her trying to fix it, then we had huge bags of garbage left outside our doors for 2 full days even I called numerous times to have them removed. I even asked where the dumpster was so I could throw them out myself. Just didn't feel like disney, but other than that it was a great time and I would still go back I think we just had some bad juju those couple of days

I felt it was kept a lot cleaner than ASSp this time. I know that every resort can have off days/weeks (as we had a great trip in December), but it honestly felt like the patrons that were staying there this time really didn't care about keeping their stuff clean. I don't think that it is too hard to take your pool towels either back to your room or back to the pool when you area finished with them and not throwing stuff out of your rooms. This may sound snobby (and I swear I am not!) but I felt like I was at Wal Mart (and I absolutely dislike the ones by me just because of the clientele) and I was getting frustrated with all the people not caring, running around and into us and the entitlement factor that I saw a lot of. Some of this might have been heightened because of the room issues that we were having, but just walking into the lobby at Coronado and having it calm and inviting relieved that anxiety that I was having. The cast member at ASSp who helped us and the first cast member at Coronado were amazing and can't believe how they truly made things so much better. Not even switching of the resorts, but of the smiles we got and the reassurance that they cared about what was going on.

We are checking into All-Star Sports in a week; so I hope it was just a random thing. We will also be getting in pretty late. Got a really good deal on plane tickets and we’ll be traveling in the evening. Glad they made it right for you though. That is one of the many reasons I stay on site. If you’re off site and end up in a crappy situation you’re on your own to fix it if it can be fixed.

I will say I have had Garden Grocer delivered and placed in the room while we were out probably twice before when they got there ahead of us. They just kept the perishable items when we had them.

Glad you had a good trip overall and how exciting to be going back in just a few months.

I hope things are great for you too! I just think that people/resort was just having an off week and it just seemed like most of it happened to us! One positive thing was that it was just DH and I and we didn't have our 3 kids with us which would of made it even more crazy! I also noticed a lot of CP's staying there and checking in whenever we were at the front desk. Quite a few said that they had just finished their program or were about to start so that may be the reason it seemed so crazy too. These ones had a lot of family with them too.

Ive had random lousy check in experiences. Last year at POP we arriv d late at night. I just wanted to go to bed. I did online check in, but never received a text with room #, so had to wait in line at the lobby. The online check in line was SO LONG!! Whats the sense of doing online check in???? I was pissed. Then, it took like 4-5 hours for our luggage to arrive.
(Worst of all, I woke the next morning to find out DT was going to be president. :o. traumatic, lol). Overall, a very crappy beginning to that trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter