OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

Hi everyone - I finally got to look at the entertainment schedule for our November 6-13 trip and am literally buzzing with excitement. But I have a couple of questions:

We are a group of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids ages 8-12) and half of the group has never been to DL before. They also are a bit skeptical of heavy crowds and we've maxed out our budget on other things already, so buying F! dining packages or WOC dessert parties are out of the question.

We have 5-day park hoppers and I planned to visit the parks Tuesday-Friday and Sunday, skipping Saturday due to expected very heavy crowds (start of holiday season activities, long weekend, runDisney events). But I didn't realize we would have the chance to see two different WOC shows over our dates and I personally would really like to see both (my family saw the 'plain' version on a trip to DL in 2014). So my questions are:

1 - Would it be possible to see the WOC: Season of Light show at 9am and make it to the second Fantasmic! show at 10:30pm? Or would we need two separate nights to see both shows?
2 - Is skipping Saturday a bad idea? All the entertainment is happening on the weekends, so maybe we should suck up the crowds and make it work? But I am really worried that our friends will be miserable if it is an overwhelming amount of people and defeat the point of the trip.

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, Saturday will probably be more pleasant than Sunday. Saturday has the two lower So Cal APs blocked, which absolutely makes a difference. I would do Saturday instead of Sunday if I were you :)

Also, I think you'd be asking too much of the kids (and quite possibly yourself) in an attempt to do WOC and F! On the same night. I would definitely enjoy one on separate nights. Luckily WOC runs every night.

Just saw my first Disney Christmas commercial of the season on TV. Surprised though, as it was a Disneyworld commercial. I am in Nor Cal. But gets exciting when you start seeing the commercials!

Thank you so much for sharing all of your experiences with the F! and WOC packages. I don't mind spending the money, so long as it's worthwhile :) we are travelling as a group, but my little family unit (myself, husband and our 4yo) will have some solo time and that's when I would book things for. Sitting at chairs definitely has a a value to me and will likely be worth it's weight in gold at the end of a long day!

WOC Desert Party is super expensive but, to me, totally worth it when the park is crowded. You get about $20 worth of food and $5-$20 worth of drinks (I had two of the blue drinks and a tea last time).

This is what I struggle with - paying adult prices for things that include alcoholic drinks for my 13 year olds - I wish there was a "teen price" or something....

Just booked the WOC desert party for Dec 5th! Just waiting to book a character breakfast on the 7th and I'm all set!

So, does everyone think Blue Bayou is sold out for Fantasmic, the first weekend of December, or have they just not released slots yet?

What night are you doing it - I'm doing it on December 3rd (I'm doing River Belle Terrace, though.)
Not sure yet. I made BB for Friday or Saturday? And RBT for the other. I need to decide still and cancel one. I'm waiting for the park hours to be finalized so we can firm up all of our plans, but they sure don't seem to be in any hurry to do it.

We'll be leaving on Sunday, so looks like we'll miss you.

I got RBT for the 2nd. I had been hoping for BB though. I’ll keep checking.

ETA: Just checked again, got a table for two at BB and switched my WOC dessert party to another night. I’ll just change the number of people to one if I can’t get a dining companion.

Last edited:
Does the WOC DP include alcoholic drinks?

yes. you can get champagne or a mixed drink (its blue and taste pretty good). I thought a heard a waiter off beer as a choice to the table next to us.
if you dont drink too slow, you should be able to get 2 'adult' drinks and a cup of coffee/coco/tea before the show starts.

you can take home your tables left over deserts. i was eating coconut cookies for days afterwards since no one else in my family liked them, haha.

That’s my problem with it too. We have 5 kids - and DH and I don’t drink. I am sad when prices for activities include drinks. :sad1:

I don't drink alcohol either but I find value in the other drinks they offer. And plus, the kids get HUGE light up cups. But like I said, I find most value in the seat! Haha!

I don't drink alcohol either but I find value in the other drinks they offer. And plus, the kids get HUGE light up cups. But like I said, I find most value in the seat! Haha!
Not all kids are given the cup. I was a bit annoyed that adults got the alcohol, younger kids got the cup, but my full price 16 y.o. daughter got pretty much nothing. I don't drink so didn't get value from the drinks, but at least had the option. I really think they need a 10-21 "junior adult" price for the ones who aren't even legal to drink.

Last edited:
So, does everyone think Blue Bayou is sold out for Fantasmic, the first weekend of December, or have they just not released slots yet?

I’m having the same trouble with Wine Country Trattoria in the fact that I can’t book a table at all. Not for the WOC dining package but there are no tables for dinner unless you want the WOC dining package which isn’t normally the case. There’s tables left for Thanksgiving weekend which should have been released a week ago now so I think there’s definitely something wrong with availability loading for the first week of December. I’m hoping so anyway! I’ve never had a problem getting reservations at DL, even during Spring Break, it’s not like WDW’s 180 mark so here’s hoping it’s just a glitch.

Not all kids are given the cup. I was a bit annoyed that adults got the alcohol, younger kids got the cup, but my full price 16 y.o. daughter got pretty much nothing. I don't drink so didn't get value from the drinks, but at least had the option. I really think they need a 10-21 "junior adult" price for the ones who aren't even legal to drink.

Does anyone know if I can purchase the cup as an adult? I love it but was too scared to ask in March as we were ovbiously seated with people we didn’t know as we are a 2. I don’t suppose they do a special cup for the season of light? Or is it just the standard one? Which is lovely anyway!

Booked our WOC dessert party....so excited to see Season of Light after everyone raved about it last year!

We also go to DLP on Wednesday for their Halloween offerings and are back there for actual Christmas only 5 days after we land back from DL. Today is going to be a great day for Disney planning :santa: :woohoo:

My wife and I are going to Disneyland for Christmas this year, December 12-17. We're staying at a Marriott property about twenty minutes north of Disneyland. It will be our first time at DL for Christmas and we're REALLY excited. I feel like I've got most everything planned out, but I have a couple questions. I know that Disney usually does the Hyperspace Mountain overlay during this time of year, but it's Space Mountain's 40th anniversary, any scuttlebutt on whether they are going to forgo that overlay this year and have classic Space Mountain after halloween is over? Also, anything Christmas related at the Hotels that I should definitely see? We're probably not booking any more special dinners or anything, but if there are some decorations that are can't miss type stuff, I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter