Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

We've been back almost a month from our wedding/honeymoon trip and we ate a lot of cake over the 2 weeks so thought I'd share our experiences.

We had our rehearsal dinner at Ohana on May 2nd so I surprised my about-to-be-husband with a Groom's cake

Ordering for Groom's Cake at Ohana
Based on the info from here, I called GF private dining about a month in advance. Pat wasn't in the day I called so I left a message and she called me back a couple days later. I happened to be in Target at the time but wanted to get this doesn't so sequestered myself in a corner and chatted with Pat. We went over the when, how many people etc then discussed design.
I wanted to do a one tier cake with fondant cut-outs of bunch of nerdy references: star wars logo, the triforce from zelda, a Stag (game of thrones reference). (like this but 1 tier)Pat said the legal department gives them a lot of trouble and they couldn't do any of that. boo. I tried to explain how I wanted pretty vague references, no actual logos and asked if I could email photos, but she wasn't having it.
So we brainstormed other ideas and I said I've seen some cool chemistry themed cakes with periodic table and molecules on it. She came up with some cool ideas for bubbling beakers and such but I told her I didn't want anything childish and wanted to stay under $150 so anything 3-D was out. So we settled on periodic table squares around the cake and a large H on a square like hydrogen on top (also out last initial)(I was thinking something like this for top, but that's not how it turned out but it was cute). Pat also suggested a banner and we decided on 'We've got chemistry' cheesey but whatever.
Then for flavor, I asked for the cookies and cream mousse we had at our tasting but was told I had to pick from the non-wedding list. I picked chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse.
For the size, Pat suggested a 10 inch for our group which was 12-14 people. I had wanted an 8 in but I guess that wanted be enough for decorations or they thought it was too small; we had way too much cake leftover so we should have gotten the 8 in.

Actual cake experience
When we checked in to Ohana on the night of our dinner, I mentioned the cake and the hostess said she saw it on the reservation so that seemed all good but later during dinner, our waitress brought out little celebration cupcakes and I had to ask about the cake and she said no one relayed the info to her so that was annoying because everyone filled up on bread pudding and cupcake before the cake.

Anywho Here's the final product; total cost with tax etc was $144 for 10 inch cake.
B8v3bmU2pzK3FJCRuv_Vvnsp6v2b2O1CpqZ7tbn8y_zEjl0nb6IIHLWwh7v_pwEB6yKB2Dg6UpMbfwsryJBkHxuSSrniASImMujlOYODsHZAsJphVi9ozv3kOI3Qt4QLhXoEixmwC79XRzRTgT5oAGRzgfppNPCw4Y0SEk6eWbRHsMLSo1KHYmxjVKCP13R_D6yLI_zw5ZIMhZT5lHNJUhSPCuZ06_39Oy-ESNjwTPBiLirIX0wlda7Nxd8uPG6stTqR4_dKkW1Sh8vGzQnMKx4IE7JHyhMI94TySB1UsIbZl7ptc_5dA6Exc768BVFCk_-w6olQi3RhEBpzGlHtWnO7qVAI4SgCUHR9Htkt2fIGDZ06UQ1ccKvvAeAT6vbKfAEqhSRQe_4XKPjWVD9Gu1qqKCHB9xq0ErtT7_TflnQLcLl1RJHBoYXdqt7KdDh837MuQA15V8GFlyZ5fOxXSKctwUMnjlc2k4nvissqRkzHxScOVOtTWe-Qu0hVUWsW4ezykPGMy8vsfrILZcazUBXIfl1YJUOlZ-TqXpN17T__VAHxztzFs7FYOMgZWXGfxUlRhXppHaQTclUSnXct8tPVWI5-5sOaczUKS2LKk_bBgOGXjZoP=w662-h882-no

The swirls were metal and H was white molding chocolate. I was happy with it and hubby was impressed that the elements had the right periodic number on them.

and the brownie cupcakes they gave us for celebrating before they realized we had a cake
u13vzSnB6zVVEjhfnyk_qnD8uzN2PLq9nSlKowxsF0hGKh-Hias-gW02IrRgJSMNWHBoaZ8doGjeWXC9FsTZ-H_8MbX4VhhA0NZy6pehAvRoWBHrULl6tgQQ3T58yd24zyg_PiW0p03SgOJc5RLlYlDQkuhKwIKtats_WdR4Rw_ZwgAgxWICrfzxf4EP_McKOO8eJg9kljP4kxIOCCcUMxUnjePuu7An_D13F_EYhzX8fG3N7qiZONlBtUaCLqoQUcsTFI7MccMSnRI0FOy14QnLcz8j3wsZl9EFw8TODtiZK06sTXpzAy5uLnUIf9lSnRnjtxnyleaBrDUT73Ole0eod72Ef_Cn4N_P-F8m9a4_qwvldcGpyeFiG-GtasbIwjTHYUvoBkHKZeRHRufl0JdFD_tDoR4I0uP8LqS6z4CqOXFf2oDeWFJo9I6sdnE8hh1Zf-hIM3BL7Vi9iFi5s3zmdt1NseRwGPLz9DLnBO8PRFmQ4PIoI9Z2N6GNXqiabLniKpfBPUEK7YUQ8KTudUC02EFFszoE2Ls8C0dKFT4FoLqlD-ugT0ibDfpGVHq-BEt_KJaPnWAeABYheTgNx4fYfCXNjGuBd6x_GL41cVBfvzu-5Zz0=w662-h882-no

Wedding Cake
For our wedding cake, I originally wanted a two tier with buttercream stripes and Mickey swiss dot. But I was told that 2 tier wasn't enough for our guest count and was quoted $625 for a three tier in the style I asked for (from GF bakery). Our reception at California Grill included desserts with the menu so I didn't want that much cake. Instead we asked for a 1 tier buttercream striped cake and added on sheet cake to serve.
Final cake info:
$65
made by Contemporary bakery
buttercream covered
Red velvet with white chocolate orange filling
plus quarter sheet cake red velvet with Baily's mousse for $80
rQTlkXgHwi9IpbVDyoRGsUyxN7DK6fG6-cKnBL8JfbYltQiBbaNoKU8-ss1YbJiimXV5X1JyegkPRolH5QhYIxbhSvNjQdA2lmLudDSnNv9s-tS06lBPNJ99jBbcig2g4sthPhEnFPQt5Ld4pV37kOvF0VJZGfJ5TBdlpw18L-N4BhZgtBeXWsUvNTNo7txTPpcMraiVVvD9w_4lsPUwwJKB-lU2T9XYD7h5jjNd3YS0eF3tRwFNOeIX80qOIcyrRjTt7B8KnI0FwLo1RP20RUyqnmr_HnNSHmzF-1aW5p7fDO2DzxyMp1QLWIG86uywobGGHjU1td6ZEE6sD-k70m-Wgw710OdNHFBFbDjheGkApUSU7KByduyNZU8T3q-1Heiljz7eC0puf0SjLCdGS5AvetruFchxDyAkl0Q6vnUDsO3zl0dYMoj7mVVBuJG22cJbd73eETefpOwU43iIWrF-qhS8DCIrlDMNwsqmcNiMrgH9ksRhDOHaaAgJb5o3dd-TD6ReeZKAf9GQvk4Uxx0efXIbfVFPf5GVkbQkE5POchFNTnENPcsVPyHlsyiVnHn8y0V15T7hvbkxptuJ9ZyB9fnGSJRvhv8_KLDBh549_39EJ9qE=w1294-h863-no

(photo credit: Nicole Ami Photography)
And the topper is from Etsy.

And here's us eating cake for breakfast. Between the 3 cakes, we had so much leftover, we lugged in around with us as we switched hotels (bell services kept it refrigerated for us) and eventually had to leave about a quarter of the groom's cake at Poly as we got sick of cake after almost a week and had to switch rooms one more night left at Riverside.
5TjHZnoaJZ0sQ_jCaEncgDVDiifGK2vpKjfp6aU4X4IZinx-ibtMPKMUpFsb0mFazUQ1DkPTBHMOr8g99QytAfn13eOf1J8B-C_veZpwTPUWbKkNoe2SUQOXHw58Z_UEeNkwx8aVegEmeO2ib5NY5SR_yTApZCdtx7iVSGGlvBqWDvzYP4iaJXJrwnWT2guGmlGFVbYd_m1lH72vMJGXLRf1jcvytZA0v3BuyN5iQSfA7AxObN9qiuy3wLn96ByKyt7FFkoWuFaxlP8gGkQduiyKeWH9hcXGWi71XxwBU1dS18ar_mjIWVrj4Q9CXO9hxfUlGg95wuZEt7yeZF54tYNvI-zE__Yzv825EYQAYtc3b6D9lmUN8u-oAmPjMG0-hq8bxq0NkCLZrYPte2XgzKZlaCXpqyMk5TrVyKQk1nL-E1cl_qFI8JYXjofLD0vEiATv9Ebtk65dW_DwgFaWC0xXRzOwaAHxdZsHZnAstYgSsMRCtF4RieZcPLe-YciXsvG9TUh1raPn4YTBZVr5nAZqbW756aulAdUE5FNAjPU-wU7U4qdgmIjrsfdpL_2shST5DpVWNtROlDq5-Hhuhx0RcZqiR6iItm9OhBg64yWqMoCBlAZQVzj1N2EEq91E5bhPFrvRrirSUE8rlZ1p3I-zBc1DIYA96AF6cssYhw=w662-h882-no
That's a great write up. Thank you.
On my computer I don't see the groom cake. About the waitstaff not knowing at the table..that is just annoying. I know it a mistake but after all the planning, it's disappointing.

Hi -

I am hoping to have a cake delivered to the HDDR for my son's birthday in July. If I understand correctly, I can order a custom cake from the Contemporary but if I wanted a standard cake I would contact Wilderness Lodge. Is that correct?

TIA

Hi -

I am hoping to have a cake delivered to the HDDR for my son's birthday in July. If I understand correctly, I can order a custom cake from the Contemporary but if I wanted a standard cake I would contact Wilderness Lodge. Is that correct?

TIA

Yep!

Just had to share my Haunted Mansion themed cake from 5/28. My daughter ordered it with a friend and had it delivered to 50's Prime Time Cafe for dinner. It was $75 and was an 8", 2 layer yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. It was delicious!! Constance was sugar with gold paint and an image on the front. The sides were a fondant-like sugar paper. And there were eyes in the black flowers & border!! So adorable.

19030289_10154431905960826_3496607743080575398_n_zpss2jnh1li.jpg

18813366_1457112237642370_3505521398006408212_n_zps9plxpcbg.jpg

19030289_10154431905960826_3496607743080575398_n_zpss2jnh1li.jpg

Last edited:
I've read through the first page and a few more. Little overwhelmed. Suggestions welcome. We will be at the World first week of September and my DS's 9th bday falls on our last night. We'll be dining at Tusker House that night. Looking to order a simple cake. We'll be celebrating with a party at home but want to do a little something special while we are there. From what I'm understanding AK doesn't have many custom options. My original thought was a Mickey Safari cake. Am I better off sticking with the Mickey ears fondant cake? How far out is best to order the cake? Thanks for the help.

2w59jqv.jpg

testing to see if this worked. If not, I will have to get an image website account. This is the $23 six inch blue colored vanilla buttercream with vanilla cake. It's a mash up of Star Wars "I love you. I know" famous quote but with my husband and my twist on it. It's also a recreation of our simple wedding cake. I was so happy with it and surprised my husband.

Last edited:
I've read through the first page and a few more. Little overwhelmed. Suggestions welcome. We will be at the World first week of September and my DS's 9th bday falls on our last night. We'll be dining at Tusker House that night. Looking to order a simple cake. We'll be celebrating with a party at home but want to do a little something special while we are there. From what I'm understanding AK doesn't have many custom options. My original thought was a Mickey Safari cake. Am I better off sticking with the Mickey ears fondant cake? How far out is best to order the cake? Thanks for the help.

If all you need is a simple cake, the new Mickey Ears cake listed in Post #1 is your easiest bet. It's not fondant-covered, though, if that matters. It's this sort of gelatinous ganache. For that one you only need to call about 72 hours ahead (and they supposedly keep some on hand in case you forget).

HI Just want to make sure I read correctly - I can order the new small Mickey cake at Le Cellier for my hubs Bday - unless they do a special dessert like the tables in MK? Thanks Michelle

hello all I've been looking here for quite some time and now we are about 5 1/2 months out from our trip end of November.

I am planning to order 2 cakes during this trip
1 6 or 8 inch at AKL to be delivered to the room (I hope) (In laws 30th anniversary)

1 mini 2 tier or special cupcake at Bon Voyage Breakfast (DD 3rd birthday)

When do I need to get the ball rolling to have these ordered?

I do want them custom but without going crazy and fondant and all that :)

Thanks for the advice and pics here!

Has anyone had any luck at Sanaa? I want a graduation cake.

Someone recently posted that AKL has a new pastry chef who's a bit less accommodating of special requests than the last one, but they will still do some customization. Best to contact Private Dining at the number listed in Post #2 and have them submit your request to the pastry chef.

HI Just want to make sure I read correctly - I can order the new small Mickey cake at Le Cellier for my hubs Bday - unless they do a special dessert like the tables in MK? Thanks Michelle

Yes, it's available at every Disney-owned and -operated restaurant, so Le Cellier is included. There are no other standard special desserts, but you could request a custom fondant cake or a mini cake by calling the number listed under Epcot in Post #2.

I am planning to order 2 cakes during this trip
1 6 or 8 inch at AKL to be delivered to the room (I hope) (In laws 30th anniversary)

1 mini 2 tier or special cupcake at Bon Voyage Breakfast (DD 3rd birthday)

When do I need to get the ball rolling to have these ordered?

I usually call about 3 weeks out, just so there's time to play phone/email tag if necessary. Then I call back 2 or 3 days before and have them reconfirm my order.

Will be at Disney in October for both DDs birthdays. One we will be at crt and the other bog. What kind of cake options would I have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter