OFFICIAL Jan 2011 Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Dopey or Goofy Challenge Thread

There's also HIPPA to be concerned with. There have been some things happen at NYRR races, and the word has always been that they cannot release any information due to privacy concerns.

While I was not aware of anything going on (I guess I was ahead of all the excitement) given that there were no reports of a racer dying, I'm guessing they survived. Usually word does get out to the press when someone dies doing a race.

Agreed. I don't think HIPPA would not be an issue if the person passed away -- which is why I was looking at the news. I didn't find any news stories of a death so hopefully no news, is good news. I just hope the person is ok.

I don't think they were airlifted. We were on the overpass looking down when the runners were stopped and an ambulance drove in -- unless the person was airlifted in an area outside the race -- or God forbid, there was another runner who was airlifted -- hopefully, not!

Agreed. I don't think HIPPA would not be an issue if the person passed away -- which is why I was looking at the news. I didn't find any news stories of a death so hopefully no news, is good news. I just hope the person is ok.

I don't think they were airlifted. We were on the overpass looking down when the runners were stopped and an ambulance drove in -- unless the person was airlifted in an area outside the race -- or God forbid, there was another runner who was airlifted -- hopefully, not!

I can't find confirmation in the news, but on another board, they confirmed that the gentleman did pass away from a heart attack and mentioned nothing about him being airlifted. I know that when I worked for Disney, no one could be pronounced dead on Disney property - therefore no one died officially on Disney property. But, things are much different now. I think a bigger concern is Disney's PR, but all in all, if a runner dies that is a risk that we all accept signing that waiver. Unless Disney health tests all of us to ensure that we truly are fit to run, I don't see their liability with any of it.

If someone does die at a race, it is just a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to those families.

I can't find confirmation in the news, but on another board, they confirmed that the gentleman did pass away from a heart attack and mentioned nothing about him being airlifted. I know that when I worked for Disney, no one could be pronounced dead on Disney property - therefore no one died officially on Disney property. But, things are much different now. I think a bigger concern is Disney's PR, but all in all, if a runner dies that is a risk that we all accept signing that waiver. Unless Disney health tests all of us to ensure that we truly are fit to run, I don't see their liability with any of it.

If someone does die at a race, it is just a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to those families.

Oh, that's sad. But, I agree Disney is not liable. My heart definitely goes out to the family as well.

I think in most cases unless it's something graphic like a decapitation or someone has been dead for a while, they aren't pronounced dead on the scene regardless of where it is. Since he was being worked on and receiving CPR, that would have continued until he got to the hospital at which point he would have been pronounced. That's not just a Disney rule - as I understand it, it's an EMT rule. Technically a doctor or Medical Examiner (also a doctor) has to do the official call.

It is a horrible tragedy. It's also hardly the first time someone has had a heart attack in the process of running a race and died. The Rock and Roll series has had its share of events happen to runners as have all the major ones. One of my running club teammates ended up performing CPR on a guy who collapsed as he crossed the finish line at the NYC Marathon...moments after SHE had crossed the finish line. It's a risk that we all take when we sign on to ANY distance event.

Got back home last night and easing back into normal life.

The WDW Marathon was my first and it was very enjoyable. Unfotunately at about the halfway point my left knee started to hurt and I had to start mixing in walk breaks and eventually was at about 75% walking and 25% running, but I finished. I also stopped to take pictures with characters at probably 50% or more of the stops so it wasn't really about time for me anyway. I eventually ran/walked/limped across the finish line at 4:58. Had I ran straight through without getting the knee troubles I was targeting about 4:00, but the medal is the same either way.

Besides the marathon, it was a nice trip as the wife and I left the kids at home an enjoyed a week at WDW kid free (we'll be going to Disneyland in 3.5 months so we don't feel too bad). We enjoyed our stay at the Boardwalk Villas and we used the Disney Dining Plan so although I ran a marathon on this trip I came home a few pounds heavier. No more DDP for us. We took a day to go to Islands of Adventure (our favorite non-Disney park) to see Harry Potter and revisit Hulk, Spiderman, and some other favorites. Lots of time in World Showcase too, which is something we don't do enough of with our small kids in tow.

Overall, it was a great experience and assuming I can take care of my knee troubles, I'll be thinking about Goofy next year and my wife would like to try the half. Maybe we'll bring DD4 and DS5 and sign them up for the kids events too!

I've only made a few posts along the way in this thread but I have read it all along so thanks to all of you for keeping it up.

Congrats on your marathon! Just had to post to you and say I like your signature...I miss Horizons! In fact it's funny because just yesterday I posted on facebook a link to the Horizons ride music on YouTube and said how I was missing it!

Oh no. :( My friend carissanboys and I have been wondering about him since we both saw him being cared for during the race. Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

It's too good! I ran my first marathon in 4:38, had a blast, and gained 5 pounds over the trip. Say What??? It was all those deserts and the dining plan. Fun going down, but the scale says otherwise. Oh well. I guess next year if I do the plan it's on to the goofy.

It's too good! I ran my first marathon in 4:38, had a blast, and gained 5 pounds over the trip. Say What??? It was all those deserts and the dining plan. Fun going down, but the scale says otherwise. Oh well. I guess next year if I do the plan it's on to the goofy.

Don't bother. I did Goofy and gained 5 pounds too! :scared1: I'm not doing the dining plan again either.

Congrats to all the runners who did the half, full or Goofy! I did my first full last Sunday and it's hard to believe that this time last week, I was out running at Disney World. I had an awesome time and got to run with Tandy (rubato) who's one tough gal! She definitely kept me motivated and running for the entire race. I have a slight ankle sprain which I'm going to to try and get looked at this week. Next race up is the Princess Half!

Hey!! Just realized that I never got that $25 Disney Gift Card... anyone else get their's? :(

I got mine, but I had to go to guest relations at WWoS. If I hadn't asked, they wouldn't have told me where to go. Sorry you missed yours.

Congrats to all the runners who did the half, full or Goofy! I did my first full last Sunday and it's hard to believe that this time last week, I was out running at Disney World. I had an awesome time and got to run with Tandy (rubato) who's one tough gal! She definitely kept me motivated and running for the entire race. I have a slight ankle sprain which I'm going to to try and get looked at this week. Next race up is the Princess Half!

Hey!! Just realized that I never got that $25 Disney Gift Card... anyone else get their's? :(

It was $30 and you had to get it at the circular guest relations building. Yes, no one seemed to know what was going on with it, and eventually I found a castmember/volunteer that knew what I was talking about. I don't understand why they wouldn't have had the card with the Expo stuff but I bet a lot of people didn't pick theirs up. When I went on Friday, they had hardly any names highlighted showing that people had been issued theirs.

It was $30 and you had to get it at the circular guest relations building. Yes, no one seemed to know what was going on with it, and eventually I found a castmember/volunteer that knew what I was talking about. I don't understand why they wouldn't have had the card with the Expo stuff but I bet a lot of people didn't pick theirs up. When I went on Friday, they had hardly any names highlighted showing that people had been issued theirs.

That's awful! Thanks for letting me know... I'm going to send them an email. Hopefully next year, they'll be more organized. Or maybe the goal was to have as few people as possible pick them up... :rolleyes:

Hey all. Just wanted to say thanks to the WISH marathoner who had a shirt on reading "I'd rather be DLR than DNF" -- you helped my husband power through a rough spot in the race!

So....thanks!!

So who is going to start the 2012 thread;)

Vicky I never got mine either, what email address are you sending a letter to?

I heard from a friend who did the 1/2 that they where doing chest compressions on a gentlemen but did not know what happened to him. So sad thoughts and prayers to his family. A previous co-worker of mine who had done lots of marathons and was in amazing shape died during a marathon he was in his early 50's I believe, they started a race in Aurora named after him. When doing the full on Sunday a lady fell in front of us coming out of the castle, I am not sure how badly hurt she was all the cast members where there and I just heard them say they would not let her get up so not sure if she hit her head.

Well I am for sure doing the 1/2 in 2012, not sure if I will take it any longer in 2012 after doing a goofy in 2010 and full in 2011 with really bad bone spurs and PF I think a 1/2 is what I will aim for just look at improving my times.

So who is going to start the 2012 thread;)

I had the same thought. Looks like this one didn't start til august. Maybe some time around March 15? (Registration)......Of course, there's no time like the present!

And I have said it enough places (and even started to prep my DH!)....I'm in for Goofy in 2012.

Maura

I would like to go Goofy for the 3rd time in 2012 but I may only be doing the half (I know I should say only but after doing 2 Goofy's its going to feel like ONLY) I am going to be training my almost 14 year old niece to do her first half at Disney in 2012 so that is why I say I might only be doing the half.

My thoughts and prayers go out to that man's family. I haven't been able to find anything else about him collapsing except someone's blog about how they saw him fall and went to his aid and gave him chest compressions until EMT got there but he said the man was totally unresponsive. That is very sad.

... My thoughts and prayers go out to that man's family. I haven't been able to find anything else about him collapsing except someone's blog about how they saw him fall and went to his aid and gave him chest compressions until EMT got there but he said the man was totally unresponsive. That is very sad.

Oh wow... :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to that man's family. I haven't been able to find anything else about him collapsing except someone's blog about how they saw him fall and went to his aid and gave him chest compressions until EMT got there but he said the man was totally unresponsive. That is very sad.

I hope he pulled through but it doesn't sound too good. I'm sure the news would report if he died though because they sure love to talk about anything bad that happens at Disney. The news of a possible death would make them start to salivate beyond control.

Hi,

I was at my first half marathon at Disney too . I took a few photos with my small camera and saw the characters as I passed by but did not stop and finished in 2 hrs 12 .

I was a bit surprised at the number of people and found it difficult to get into a rhythm at the start due to trying to find a path round the masses of people ( with no previous time I was in Corral F). I did not really get up to my normal pace until leaving the magic kingdom and heading back down to Epcot ( at that time I was looking at a 2 hr 30 pace) before slowing again as we entered the last miles before Epcot.
With a better corral place ( and no photos) I think I could have done a 1 hour 50 pace but as other people have said you do not go to disney to have a fast time and I has so much fun doing it ( with excellent Disney organisation).:cool1:

I am seriously thinking about the Goofy next year ( I would like to do a few more half marathons this year to build up distance -maybe Vancouver,San Francisco, Toronto or Edinburgh)

Regards

TBS

R

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter