OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Does anyone have a guess where the 5:00 and 5:30 pacers are going to be? I am guessing that I am in corral D (marathon bib 5377), but am looking to stay somewhere between these two pace groups.

Also, since the AVERAGE Disney finish time is just over 5 hours, why the heck isn’t there a 5:15 group? Fail.

Signs of the apocalypse:

I had my last pre-marathon beer last night.
I am having pasta for lunch.

Too funny....oh wait, you REALLY give up the beer? How sad. I will forego alcohol on Saturday night, but meantime, don't mess with my glass of red wine with dinner!

Maura

I’m normally a martini drinker, but I have the occasional beer. Coming from New York, where it’s like 29 today and zero humidity, I’m a little nervous about running my first full, and don’t want to do ANYTHING that could even possibly stack the deck against myself.

Sandy, that's so cool that DH is running with Chris again. I remember Chris looking for a guide in 2010.

Ronda

I’m normally a martini drinker, but I have the occasional beer. Coming from New York, where it’s like 29 today and zero humidity, I’m a little nervous about running my first full, and don’t want to do ANYTHING that could even possibly stack the deck against myself.

Don't give up the beer, just switch to non-alcoholic. If you haven't seen the study about non-alcoholic beer aiding in marathon recovery, google for "ny times nonalcoholic beer marathon recovery". It isn't a joke, someone did an actual study :thumbsup2

Signs of the apocalypse:

I had my last pre-marathon beer last night.
I am having pasta for lunch.

I had my last beer yesterday. Not sure how I will survive until Sunday. It will be hard to pass the German pavilion without stopping for a cold one (or two). Sure hope Yuengling Brewery doesn't file bankruptcy before I get back home.

:rotfl2:

Charles, are there any guesses for Goofy bib numbers and corrals? DH is checking the main page and commented "one bib, one bag check sticker - and the bag is a clear bag" (all of which I told him!)

He first thought numbers were assigned when you registered. Then he thought it was due to your age!

So thanks to your posting your age on another thread, I blew that theory out of the water for him :rotfl2: ( your #22683 - he is 25110) His main concern is he is once again leading Chris - 2 years ago they had similiar times and knew they'd be in the same corral (- the legally blind runner - DH helped Chris 2 years ago - and dh has 10 min mile times.)

DH registered 5/27 (I think this may be his way of obsessing about something - I told him I'd ask!)

Do you know Chris' bib number? I know some guys are dividing 7500 (the number of entries) by 7 (number of corrals) and coming up with a guess. I am thinking that is a great start but the corrals are split by estimated times.

I guess this is a long was of saying D corral.

If you are meeting up with Chris pre-race and within expo times, it is worth a trip to the runner relation desk. The normal reply would be to have the faster runner move back, but clearly it is Chris' interests to be with the faster runner, rather than the other way. There could possibly be a way to get one of the 0530 spots if Chris wanted.

Does anyone have a guess where the 5:00 and 5:30 pacers are going to be? I am guessing that I am in corral D (marathon bib 5377), but am looking to stay somewhere between these two pace groups.

Also, since the AVERAGE Disney finish time is just over 5 hours, why the heck isn’t there a 5:15 group? Fail.

I am betting you are in C based on previous year's splits The 5 hour guys may be there or B. The 5:30 group E ish.

Don't give up the beer, just switch to non-alcoholic. If you haven't seen the study about non-alcoholic beer aiding in marathon recovery, google for "ny times nonalcoholic beer marathon recovery". It isn't a joke, someone did an actual study :thumbsup2

I knew there was a GOD! Thanks Jeff.

O'doul's, used to be Yuengling, has become my 2nd drink after chocolate milk when I get back from my 60 to 100+ mile bicycle rides and marathon training. I will not have one after the 5K this Friday but after the Half on Saturday and the Full on Sunday I will walk to our motorhome in the EPCOT parking lot to enjoy both before I shower.:cool1:

O'doul's, used to be Yuengling, has become my 2nd drink after chocolate milk when I get back from my 60 to 100+ mile bicycle rides and marathon training. I will not have one after the 5K this Friday but after the Half on Saturday and the Full on Sunday I will walk to our motorhome in the EPCOT parking lot to enjoy both before I shower.:cool1:

I have learned more useful information today about running than I have in the last 10 years.

The final instructions for Fiesta 5k state that the Expo is open until 8:00 p.m.,Thursday.
However, this document is the only one with the 8:00 p.m. closing. All others state that the Expo closes at 7:00 p.m. Hopefully no one gets caught out, if in fact, it closes at 7:00 p.m.

Please multiple post this if you can think of a more appropriate place for this message.

Our flight arrives MCO Friday at 6:20. No checked luggage and I expect car pickup to be as fast as picking one out and driving away. I usually take the turnpike/417 to WDW. Can I make it before the expo closes at 7:00? Are they really firm on that closing time? Is there a faster route that time of day?

Ronda

Ok"..couple last minute questions for me.....I'm staying at poly. So I would take monorail from TTC to Epcot for the half, right? What time do I need to be on the monorail?

And coach, if you are reading this, are you making any meets? I would love to be able to meet you, say hi, and thanks for all your inspiration and insightful posts which kept me going.... I now believe I can actually do this first half marathon just 7 days after my 39th birthday! :)

Our flight arrives MCO Friday at 6:20. No checked luggage and I expect car pickup to be as fast as picking one out and driving away. I usually take the turnpike/417 to WDW. Can I make it before the expo closes at 7:00? Are they really firm on that closing time? Is there a faster route that time of day?

Ronda

The expo takes place in two buildings. You might make it to one but you are unlikely to make the second. It's not worth risking life and limb. There is also a tram at the airport to-and-from the terminals and concourse. I think arrival times are touch down times not concourse arrival.

Last month I had nasty shin splints. One month later, I am much better. BUT, I have not run more than 5 miles since then. Lots of time on elipticals though. My peak was 20 plus miles before Thanksgiving. I was not planning on running, but now that I am here I am having second thoughts. I will be in Corral A, and am very confident I can easily handle 13 miles. The last 13, I think I can run/walk. Am i being a bit pigheaded by giving it a try? I trained to RUN the 26 miles, but no think I would have to run/walk/limp the last 13. Please tell me I will not be alone! I trained so hard and now that I am here it is hard to give up my dream of a medal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter