OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Last month I had nasty shin splints. One month later, I am much better. BUT, I have not run more than 5 miles since then. Lots of time on elipticals though. My peak was 20 plus miles before Thanksgiving. I was not planning on running, but now that I am here I am having second thoughts. I will be in Corral A, and am very confident I can easily handle 13 miles. The last 13, I think I can run/walk. Am i being a bit pigheaded by giving it a try? I trained to RUN the 26 miles, but no think I would have to run/walk/limp the last 13. Please tell me I will not be alone! I trained so hard and now that I am here it is hard to give up my dream of a medal!

I am in a similar boat. I had shin splints after a bicycle accident. I did 20 miles the weekend after Thanksgiving weekend. Since early December, I've done a handful of runs, and only got back up to 26 miles last week, with an 11 mile long run.

I think as long as I go slowly, I'll be able to run all or most of the race. If you were able to maintain your endurance, you should be able to finish. However, if you intend to walk, you might want to run/walk from the start, in which case you'll want to move way back from Corral A.

I have been lurking here since I signed up for the half back in the end of October. I just want to wish everyone good luck.

Last month I had nasty shin splints. One month later, I am much better. BUT, I have not run more than 5 miles since then. Lots of time on elipticals though. My peak was 20 plus miles before Thanksgiving. I was not planning on running, but now that I am here I am having second thoughts. I will be in Corral A, and am very confident I can easily handle 13 miles. The last 13, I think I can run/walk. Am i being a bit pigheaded by giving it a try? I trained to RUN the 26 miles, but no think I would have to run/walk/limp the last 13. Please tell me I will not be alone! I trained so hard and now that I am here it is hard to give up my dream of a medal!

I have had hamstring/thigh issues for about a month and will probably have to dial back my expectations as well. I am going to try a run/walk approach. It might be a good idea for you to do the run/walk from the very beginning so the second half won't be too bad instead of waiting until it already hurts. I think I will still do well if I take a conservative approach.

You won't be alone...though I was never slated to be in Corral A, so you are just faster anyway. I severely pulled my booty (a glute or rotator muscle) 2.5 weeks ago to where I could hardly walk, thanks to a silly trapeze lesson! I have slowly built back up to a whopping 4.7 miles of run/walking and will go see what I can accomplish! Going for the bling.

To the other poster about flight times...arrival time as published is supposed to be the time the aircraft pulls into the gate. For more details, though, you can check flightaware.com and specifically see the runway time and then the gate time.

Sandy, that's so cool that DH is running with Chris again. I remember Chris looking for a guide in 2010.

Ronda

dh thinks its nice Chris wants him to be a guide!

Thanks for the thoughts, dh said he'll bring a proof of time and get to the expo Thursday. He also found someone more obsessed with Disney Marathons! A friend from work!! :rotfl2:

I will be doing the 5k and the Half Marathon! My first Half woohoo! :eek:

Edited to add question:

Do you know the driving route to EPCOT? We come from the Coronado Springs area (not staying at a resort just our house). TIA!

Not alone. DH and I are training for our first half. He picked up a foot problem two weeks ago. He trained to run the 1/2 at a 9:30 pace, but it looks like he'll be doing a walk/run too. He's pretty bumbed, but determined to finish. Take your time you'll be fine. And wear that medal proudly!

Hi all! Last year I remember there was a terrific packing list posted - it was to the point, but covered everything necessary. I've been google searching but can't find it. Has there already been one posted this year? Just curious before I start digging through all the pages of the thread. :)

Thanks!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Ok"..couple last minute questions for me.....I'm staying at poly. So I would take monorail from TTC to Epcot for the half, right? What time do I need to be on the monorail?

And coach, if you are reading this, are you making any meets? I would love to be able to meet you, say hi, and thanks for all your inspiration and insightful posts which kept me going.... I now believe I can actually do this first half marathon just 7 days after my 39th birthday! :)

Yes, take monorail from TTC to Epcot. I'm staying at the Poly and planning to be on the monorail between 4:30 and 4:45. HOWEVER, Disney would prefer you get on the monorail by 4:00am.

Hi all! Last year I remember there was a terrific packing list posted - it was to the point, but covered everything necessary. I've been google searching but can't find it. Has there already been one posted this year? Just curious before I start digging through all the pages of the thread. :)

Thanks!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Here ya go! :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1286620

Well, time for me to go to bed. The family and I have a flight leaving at 6:57 tomorrow morning from Vancouver to Orlando and I should try to get some sleep before that early early alarm goes off.

Good luck to you all. It's been fun "waiting" here with you all and I hope everyone has the race they hope for, that they finish healthy and strong, and that we all check back in here afterwards to celebrate the achievement.

Hopefully by Sunday I'll be "Dopey".

Good night all.

I will be doing the 5k and the Half Marathon! My first Half woohoo! :eek:

Edited to add question:

Do you know the driving route to EPCOT? We come from the Coronado Springs area (not staying at a resort just our house). TIA!

There are three Routes, with the last being the safest, especially if you are running late. Late being on World Dr. at 3:55 a.m. - 4:00 a.m.

1. North/East on W. Buena Vista Dr. can back up at World Dr. The stop and go on World Dr. tends to back-up onto Buena Vista as the morning goes on. Each year this blockage occurs earlier.

2. This will only work for the 1/2 marathon morning:
From Western Way, right turn (south) on W. Buena Vista Dr. Stay in the Right lane, Exit right to get onto Osceola heading east. from Osceola, World Dr. is a left exit at the light, just over World Dr. Stay in the Rt lane on World Dr. You don't need to move to the right most lane when traffic comes on from Buena Vista, the 2 right lanes will exit exit at Epcot. Osceola may be as backed up as Buena Vista.

3. If it were me, I would skip Western Way and use RT 192 (W. Irlo Bronson) heading east. The exit from RT192 onto World Dr. is A right loop, just under World Dr. After Osceola you will need to be in the Rt. lane on World Dr. This is the route Disney highly recommends.

Disney has the right to block any of the routes not recommended in the Race Guide and or Final instructions. It doesn't pay to go against the grain this weekend. The only change from Disney instructions is you will be heading east on RT192.
2012 Program:
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/wdwmarathon/WDW12Programv2.pdf
Final Instructions:
http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media.../2012-final-race-instructions-MarathonFRI.pdf

If you need it I can make a mapmyrun 3d fly over, or you can do it yourself. You will need the Google Earth Plugin. It will be for the RT 192 route.

Yes, take monorail from TTC to Epcot. I'm staying at the Poly and planning to be on the monorail between 4:30 and 4:45. HOWEVER, Disney would prefer you get on the monorail by 4:00am.

Thanks Susie.

At the end of my last run today "when you wish upon a star" came on my ipod. I almost cried. It's go time. Leaving in the morning. Hope everyone has a great race.

At the end of my last run today "when you wish upon a star" came on my ipod. I almost cried. It's go time. Leaving in the morning. Hope everyone has a great race.

I love the idea of Disney songs on my shuffle. Will download "When you wish upon a star tonight ! Safe travels everyone. I will be wearing my wish shirt for the relay.
Happy Running,
Pam

Question, i don't have a wish shirt nor a bib or anything that is WISH, can i still join in the fun of the meet up?

Safe travels everyone!!!
We're leaving NY around 4pm. I will send my kids off to school in the morning and finish the last-minute prep. My DH scheduled surgery in the morning (he's a urologist) so I hope his case goes on-time and very well! We'll pick up the kiddos around 1:30pm and head off to the airport. My 3 year old was very disappointed tonight when I explained that we aren't actually leaving until tomorrow! :rotfl2:

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter