OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

I am in. First Disney 1/2 !
Just started my training 3 weeks ago. 11 months to get up to 13 miles. I think I can, I think I can......

I will be signing up for a few 5K between now and then.

I'm in. I haven't decided half vs. full for next year. I think my DH is going to walk the half.
A year ago I started the couch to 5K. This year's 1/2 was my 1st race ever and I loved it! I signed up for another 1/2 in early April. I really want to run the full next year.

Amanda

DW and I plan on duplicating this year's Marathon Weekend with the 5K and 1/2M together and then the Full by myself.

That is exactly what I did one year ago... sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, watching the biggest loser contestants running a marathon.. I said "I CAN do that!" and what better place for a 1st 1/2 then Disney!
So I started the couch to 5 K program... and slowly worked my way up to a few 5k's, the a 10K and then training for the 1/2

YOU CAN DO IT!! :thumbsup2:cheer2::thumbsup2

I was losing weight and walking 2-3 miles a day when I read info in a Prevention magazine about "walking" a half or full marathon. Until that point, I didn't even know that was allowed. I bought a book and started training the next day. 9 1/2 weeks later I completed my first half marathon in 3:37 with me walking the whole thing. Now I'm adding a bit of running and hope to finish a race in June in under 3 hours. You just have to start!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am reading around the boards and seeing this is totally doable. I'd prefer to move it up do Wine and Dine, but I just don't think we can afford the trip by then. Besides, I need the target to get me to move all year long.

DH and I are in but not sure what race.

DH has advised me he will NEVER do another full he has done 3 so he is in for the 1/2.

I on the other hand decided during the full that I was also done with full's but after much soul searching and a plan on how I want to change my weight and health over the next year I will keep on eye on registration and as I get stronger I will decide what race or races I will do. I am in for the 1/2 for sure but might be more....time will tell;)

Kim

I'm in for something next year, but I'm not sure what! At first I was thinking Goofy, but I'm dealing with some posterior tibial tendinitis that is bring me down a bit from that dream. But we will see how I heal! I think I've convinced my sister and my DH to do the half!

I'm jealous. I had a plan all along to do the Goofy in 2012, or at the least, the marathon but I found out that I won't be able to. Bummer. It's kind of OK though because I have my sights set on a great year in 2013.

I want to go Dopey and run the Disneyland Half and be a coast-coast runner in 2013. I would honestly love running all the Disney races in one calendar year but given that I live in Oregon, that would be a very expensive thing to do. And as a student that would be a very GPA-hurting thing to do.

Until then, I'm happy to read other peoples' race plans for 2012. Especially to all the first timers! Good luck to all of you! You can do it!

Hmmmmm

tough decision.

OK I AM IN GOOFY #7

On a more serious note; and a do what I say, not what I do note.... I went to the Doc about the Achilles and he put me on the do not run list for a few weeks..... He kind of admonished me for running after the injury became severe. The conversation went along the lines of exectly when did the Achilles start to feel severe.... About Mile 8.... Why didn't you stop..... I though about stopping if it got really bad...... You should have stopped sooner..... I have this streak of races Doc........ We went on for a while but the conversation ended after looking and seeing no calcification at the heel insertion point of the Achilles (i.e. no long term injury) and prescribing a cortisone injection along with a 2 week dose of oral treatment.

Hmmmmm

tough decision.

OK I AM IN GOOFY #7

On a more serious note; and a do what I say, not what I do note.... I went to the Doc about the Achilles and he put me on the do not run list for a few weeks..... He kind of admonished me for running after the injury became severe. The conversation went along the lines of exectly when did the Achilles start to feel severe.... About Mile 8.... Why didn't you stop..... I though about stopping if it got really bad...... You should have stopped sooner..... I have this streak of races Doc........ We went on for a while but the conversation ended after looking and seeing no calcification at the heel insertion point of the Achilles (i.e. no long term injury) and prescribing a cortisone injection along with a 2 week dose of oral treatment.

Ouch Coach! :( I hope things heal quickly! My present from the Marathon was Achilles Tendonitis with a little bit of PF (although I don't feel the PF anymore) and that was the same line of questioning I got, except my pain started at Mile 18, and I did stop and walk (limp). So, the lecture ended there but the look of disapproval did not. :laughing: I didn't get a Cortizone shot thankfully - those suckers hurt! But, I hope yours makes a big difference so that you are back to running in no time! :yay:

I said I was in for the full - but now I might be goofy. My mom is planning on walking the half, so if she does, I figure I might as well go goofy :) And after seeing so many others on here that tackled their first full and goofy at the same time, I'm sure I can do it!

I'm glad the pro's are subscribing to this thread. I got so much info just reading the 2011 thread during the weekend you all were racing. Again, congrats to all!

Disney 2011 was my first marathon. I am officially addicted. Did dopey this year and doing it again in 2012!!!! :thumbsup2

I'm in!!! It was so exciting to finish my first full marathon! I am considering Goofy or Dopey, but I'll definitely do the 1/2.

That is so awesome Coach! I hope they do something special for the princess half when the time comes. That was my first race ever and I am determined to continue doing it as long as Disney hosts it!

I'm in for Goofy. There, I've said it.

Coach Neat avatar and even more impressive accomplishment.

Maura

Well, I will also do the Goofy. I did the half in the cold and rain in 2010 and I hope for better weather in 2012.
Before that I have 3 half -marathon planned: Ottawa at the end of May, the rock and roll in Providence, R.I. in August and the Wine and Dine.
Let the training begins.
Diane :yay:

I just atarted the C25K two weeks ago - my plan is to complete this, do a few 5k's this spring, move onto a 10K over the summer. I want to do the Hershey 1/2 marathon in October, followed by the WDW 1/2 in 2012.

I am so excited to train for this - I am wearing my Mickey Mouse silly band as a motivational reminder of what I am training for. It will be a long road for me - I'm not overly athletic and need to lose some weight, but I'm gonna give it my best shot!

Tammy
:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter