• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

****Official January 2021 thread****

Update (I know you're all waiting on bated breath lol!!) - added a date to the beginning and end of our trip. Didn't want to spend the extra money but I Disney-mathed it and told myself that by getting to keep the 35% discount I got on the room I'd be crazy not to add it. And now I have 5 full days at the parks instead of 3 full days plus 2 half days. And my flight was $88 less. WINNING :rotfl:
Sounds awesome to me! :earsboy:
I'm so glad you found some exciting things come out of this change! I know how much stress it causes.

Disney math I'm factoring in too for our trip, we're flying home on a Saturday but my plan if/when our flight gets changed is to add one or two days (since DD has no school on Monday anyway :rolleyes1)

Same experience here. Booked late August, flying in Spirit and back Frontier and each had one flight a day. Frontier moved us forward a day about 20 days ago so we cancelled and moved to Delta for the original day at an extra $20pp but its been changed twice since then (same day though).

Last night Spirit moved our flight 13 hours. Cancelled it and moved to Delta again for an extra $20pp for our initial time. 😤

Same experience here. Booked late August, flying in Spirit and back Frontier and each had one flight a day. Frontier moved us forward a day about 20 days ago so we cancelled and moved to Delta for the original day at an extra $20pp but its been changed twice since then (same day though).

Last night Spirit moved our flight 13 hours. Cancelled it and moved to Delta again for an extra $20pp for our initial time. 😤
I hope there’s not any more changes before we all go! 🤞🏼

We are 28 days away from our check in and I have mentally committed to taking this trip. We have a lot of restrictions here in Illinois without any hope that they will be relaxed soon. We had a successful trip to WDW in October, meaning that mask compliance was great and we didn't get Covid from the October trip. We have a better idea of what to expect this time and the return of park hopping has tipped the scale to going on this trip. Even though it won't be the "normal" Disney experience, at least it will be fun. :)

I’m more nervous about our January trip than I was about our October trip. While overall, October was good, we had several instances of people not staying distant and not wearing masks properly. None of us got sick, but with the increase in crowds I am worried. The reasons we are still taking the trip are:
1- weather. It was miserable hot in Oct. so I’m hoping the cooler temps will make for a more enjoyable experience.
2- we are AP holders and know if the parks are crazy we can leave without feeling like we are wasting $.
3- we need this time at Disney as a family. It has been a crazy year and we deserve it! :)

I really hope crowd levels and safety compliance are better than I’m anticipating. Regardless though, we will have a great vacation and soak in the Magic!

Getting ever closer to our trip in January. I have moved this trip a couple times but ended up back at the original date just with less people haha.

I am stuck in my second guessing which restaurants we want to have a reservation at. For our 11 days I will make probably 20+ reservations, modify 20 times, and then cancel all but like 3 of them. :rotfl2:

Lots of stories about the holding being waived right now. Read up on it and make your decision if you want to wait longer to decide
Uggh. I am back and forth. My husband and I REALLY want to go but unsure. If the holding will be waived then that gives us more time to decide.

Well, I finally went ahead and cancelled my trip Although part of me is disappointed, of course, I just decided that being so close to a vaccine, I'm not taking any chances And from what I've heard, our state is in line to be one of the first 4 states to receive the vaccine, something about testing the distribution methods The hospital less than a mile from us is getting it either today or tomorrow, one of 100 hospitals to receive it I made a tentative reservation for July and another one for September I should feel lots better about going on of those times, if not both

Well, I finally went ahead and cancelled my trip Although part of me is disappointed, of course, I just decided that being so close to a vaccine, I'm not taking any chances And from what I've heard, our state is in line to be one of the first 4 states to receive the vaccine, something about testing the distribution methods The hospital less than a mile from us is getting it either today or tomorrow, one of 100 hospitals to receive it I made a tentative reservation for July and another one for September I should feel lots better about going on of those times, if not both
Definitely looking forward to the vaccine being successful. Would be great to see things begin to return to normal. Sorry you won’t get to go in January, but definitely understand waiting for things to improve

Well, I guess we're now out of the "Official December 2020" thread, and in the "Official January 2021" thread.

We were supposed to be down the 2nd-14th, but the COVID fairy visited our house, leaving behind infections for everyone.

We had no idea until the day we were due to leave, and had to cancel at the last minute. And when I say "last minute", I mean we were on the exit to the airport, with suitcases in the back. When I called DVC member services, she actually scrambled to cancel that night's reservation to save the points.

We were able to re-book for January 4th-16th, and I guess the side benefit is that I no longer have to worry about infection or spreading infection. According to the CDC and our state's Department of Health, we have at least a 90-day get out of COVID free card.

Last edited:
Well, I guess we're now out of the "Official December 2020" thread, and in the "Official January 2021" thread.

We were supposed to be down the 2nd-14th, but the COVID fairy visited our house, leaving behind infections for everyone.

We had no idea until the day we were due to leave, and had to cancel at the last minute. And when I say "last minute", I mean we were on the exit to the airport, with suitcases in the back. When I called DVC member services, she actually scrambled to cancel that nights reservation to save the points.

We were able to re-book for January 4th-16th, and I guess the side benefit is that I no longer have to worry about infection or spreading infection. According to the CDC and our state's Department of Health, we have at least a 90-day get out of COVID free card.

Wow! What a crazy turn of events. I hope you and your family are ok! I'm glad your points were able to be saved.

Wow! What a crazy turn of events. I hope you and your family are ok! I'm glad your points were able to be saved.
Everyone is doing great, thanks! I got the worst of it, and that was just a day of headaches and fatigue. The kids were through it in six hours with little more than sniffles and a cough.

Last edited:
We are still on for out January trip, for now. The only things that will stop us from going are positive tests or state restricted travel. Texas or Florida.

We have a split stay AK Jambo/Bay Lake Tower. This is our first stay at AK. We originally picked Jambo because of the restaurants and lobby. Since all restaurants are closed at Jambo last night I came very close to modifying our AK reservation to Kidani. We ended up keeping our reservation and decided that it may be quieter and less traffic at Jambo. Is there bus transportation from each or only Kidani?

I am considering either packing some food stuffs or ordering groceries. We could make due with the toaster and microwave. Just something to start the day.

We are still on for out January trip, for now. The only things that will stop us from going are positive tests or state restricted travel. Texas or Florida.

We have a split stay AK Jambo/Bay Lake Tower. This is our first stay at AK. We originally picked Jambo because of the restaurants and lobby. Since all restaurants are closed at Jambo last night I came very close to modifying our AK reservation to Kidani. We ended up keeping our reservation and decided that it may be quieter and less traffic at Jambo. Is there bus transportation from each or only Kidani?

I am considering either packing some food stuffs or ordering groceries. We could make due with the toaster and microwave. Just something to start the day.
We're staying 2 nights at Jambo as well in January. I only planned one meal at the resort with a reservation at Sanaa on our check in night. But will be good to have snacks available. I scheduled a rental car though so if we really need to get some snacks,we can without hassle.

I swear Spirit is trying to make me nuts. They changed our flights AGAIN. We originally had a Friday flight back home, they cancelled it and moved us to Saturday...I called Disney, paid for the extra night...now they cancelled Saturday. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
So no Friday or Saturday flight home? That's crazy. Guess I'm glad Delta has multiple flights each day, so no matter how much they try to move our flight up, I just push it back. Hopefully you can switch to a different airline or move it somehow to make the trip work.

I swear Spirit is trying to make me nuts. They changed our flights AGAIN. We originally had a Friday flight back home, they cancelled it and moved us to Saturday...I called Disney, paid for the extra night...now they cancelled Saturday. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

At some point, they'll have to put you on another airline, on their dime, to be able to send you home at a time reasonable for you. That was the original agreement, and if they can't honor it, they'll need to find a plane that can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter