• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana Breakfast - Horrible

Yes. I don't want them to think I want a freebie when I'm complaining about something. I want my complaint to actually be heard.
Exactly. "In the moment" complaints always run the risk of being received cynically as "this joker just wants something for free". After-the-fact complaints are never viewed through the prism of cynicism.

We had Ohana dinner 2 weeks ago (fantastic!! Loved it!) and then Ohana breakfast the next morning. We all (9 of us) agreed our morning there was our least favorite meal of the trip, but their dinner was our favorite meal. Definitely won't do breakfast there again! Service was...odd. Our waitress that morning just acted disinterested. Food was ok, but I wouldn't fight for the reservation again.

I would agree with this more (and I see it posted here often, so please don't think I'm picking on you :) ) but I think that since so many people are vacationing in WDW on any given day, there are always enough people who want an ADR that have never been somewhere before. So if Ohana is filled with newbies one night, the rest of us who have seen things gone more "downhill" don't really get to "speak with our dollars" since Disney is still getting their bottom line.

I do agree with you to a point, though - people do re-visit places in the hope it will be something better than it is or was last time.

I'm not talking about the food going downhill. That's a given. Non signatures used to be as good as the signatures are now. (I remember the heyday of Disney dining. People who had their first visit in the post Eisner days haven't experienced Disney dining at it's best.) I'm talking about meals from one year to the next or even multiple visits in the same year. You may have a great experience one visit, then return a few days or months later & have a totally different experience. They really need to work on consistency.

I agree, and everyone has an option, and that is to complain to a manager. I've had my fair share of poor experiences and whenever I have complained, it has been dealt with fairly. Lots of people just won't complain.

Whether it is a poor table location, a bad meal, or a rude server, diners need to speak up.

I'll admit to not being one who will speak up. We'd prefer to let it go than interrupt our vacation to complain. I think it's great that some people will speak up at that time, but we're just not that way. We deal with it by eating at mostly non Disney run restaurants, which are more consistent, in our experience.

When one complains "on the spot" the restaurant will assume (correctly in most cases) that the problem is an isolated one

1) Not at Disney.
2) One only has to mention that your next call is "up-the-chain".
3) Disney managers get majority demerits for problems that don't get resolved at their level.
4) In some cases, it could be the end to promotions, or even career-ending.

I don't complain about meals on vacation. It ruins the vibe for me. That's just me, kudos to those who do.

But I make a note not to go there again!
I suppose there are a lot of people who feel the same way and this lack of feedback contributes to the problems not being addressed. But my advice wouldn't be for people who have a terrible meal and don't care, it would be for those who have a bad experience, don't complain at the time, leave the restaurant, and complain about it later. They won't get nearly the same results that complaining on the spot will.

Exactly. "In the moment" complaints always run the risk of being received cynically as "this joker just wants something for free". After-the-fact complaints are never viewed through the prism of cynicism.
Sometimes I am just making a comment and sometimes I do expect something for free. If my meal is delivered burnt, for example, actually charred black, I will complain and expect it to be taken off the bill.

I think that most reasonable staff will know when a complaint is 'valid'. If they don't, then complaining upon return is the next step.

Sometimes I am just making a comment and sometimes I do expect something for free. If my meal is delivered burnt, for example, actually charred black, I will complain and expect it to be taken off the bill.
That is the difference between an issue being "individualized" versus "systemic". One always has to deal with individualized complaints in the moment. This is less true for systemic problems.

1) Not at Disney.
2) One only has to mention that your next call is "up-the-chain".
3) Disney managers get majority demerits for problems that don't get resolved at their level.
4) In some cases, it could be the end to promotions, or even career-ending.
Nothing here contraindicates what I stated. Systemic problems can and should be dealt with at higher levels and Disney is very good at dealing with those after you get home. In fact, I can't think of a company that is better at that than Disney. The job of the person "on the floor" is to get the customer quick relief in a manner that is not disruptive. That can fix an individualized problem but is woefully inadequate at fixing systemic ones.

Unfortunately, all of the Disney run restaurants suffer from inconsistency, even the signatures. They can range from great to downright bad at times. For the prices they charge, it's really inexcusable. As long as people continue to put up with things they would never consider accepting at a restaurant outside Disney, I don't see that changing. We are our own worst enemy.

This. The worst meal of my last trip hands down was Narcoossees. It wasn't just "bad for a signature", it was downright bad. My son's "medium" filet was served cold and purple and charred on the outside and was thrown back on the grill and brought back rare (cool and red in the center) but done enough at the edges for him to eat some. My lobster was underdone as well and cold by the time I got to it after dealing with my son's meal. Our waitress was nowhere to be found to address these issues in a timely manner. I did end up writing guest services and they did give me a full refund, including tip, on the meal. I did not "put up with it".

but that said it seems like every restaurant has a bad day... that was it for Narcoossees. I think if you go in expecting that most restaurants will neither be as great as their most glowing reviews or as bad as their worst reviews, your expectations will be appropriately set. This way if it's amazing you're wowed. If it's decent to very good you're not disappointed. Ohana in general has decent (but basic) breakfast food. I've had it a few times, we had it on our last trip, and it was fine... overall the experience is one we enjoy. Gourmet it isn't. They sometimes have a bad day though and sounds like the OP got one. What I (and others) need to get better about is dealing in the moment and asking for a manager to address your concerns right then and there. I am non confrontational and it usually takes me hours to process a bad experience and get upset about it but I should be better about demanding better in the moment.

I stayed at the Poly in August and the line for check in for Breakfast was 20-30 deep in the mornings... almost got knocked down walking down the steps but two ladies running up the stairs around others walking up the stairs so they could get in line first....I wish they would move this place to the far corner of the resort by the boat dock on the first floor... we were coming from the Coffee/Sushi stand.. want good pastries for 3.00 go there you will be far happier...and they were good far better than the normal 4.??? stuff at other places
while I certainly respect people coming to eat at resort restaurants watching the fireworks from the beach etc... a lot of people going to the Poly for Breakfast and Dinner have forgotten about manners and truly does take away from what the resort was... But Mickey does not discriminate against cash.. 20's and larger please

When we were there in March Stitch was still walking from table to table, I would have much preferred for the M & G to be before, because we sat waiting for Stitch for more than 20 min after we were finished eating to meet him. We wanted to get to the parks but DD wanted to meet him.

I stayed at the Poly in August and the line for check in for Breakfast was 20-30 deep in the mornings... almost got knocked down walking down the steps but two ladies running up the stairs around others walking up the stairs so they could get in line first....I wish they would move this place to the far corner of the resort by the boat dock on the first floor... we were coming from the Coffee/Sushi stand.. want good pastries for 3.00 go there you will be far happier...and they were good far better than the normal 4.??? stuff at other places
while I certainly respect people coming to eat at resort restaurants watching the fireworks from the beach etc... a lot of people going to the Poly for Breakfast and Dinner have forgotten about manners and truly does take away from what the resort was... But Mickey does not discriminate against cash.. 20's and larger please

I know exactly what you mean. Many of the Deluxe hotels have that problem. The lobbies tend to feel like crowded train stations sometimes with all of ADRs going on which is kind of a bummer if you are actually staying there.

Wow, so many replies on this thread.

I did get a response yesterday from guest services.

Still communicating with them about the issue.

We have done the breakfast here a couple times with the kids in the past and really enjoyed it.

This past week it was just horrible.

A couple things changed:

1. Everyone gets the pic with Stitch before entering the restaurant. This severely takes away from intimate character interaction for your kids. Just unacceptable to me.
2. No more bacon. It's ham now and its disgusting.

How hard is it to make powder eggs?
Apparently very hard. Both the first serving and second serving were watery/runny. Gross. We asked for a second serving hoping they would not be ask disgusting.

Not a single waffle was cooked to perfection. The irons must have been too hot because the outside of them were crispy, but inside just fell apart. Just poor work. The waffles at Captain Cooks were cooked perfectly, so its clearly user error.

They cant wait for you to leave (oh, here is your check sir, but no rush) and frankly I couldnt wait to leave. I sent my comments immediately to guest services after we left, I doubt they'll respond.

Ohana could serve slop and they would be booked to capacity, but we definitely will skip it next trip. So disappointing.

Both the change in character interaction and the lack of bacon have been discussed on this board to the point of insanity. A little bit of reading would have avoided the issue. And you only needed to ask for the bacon.

We were there last week and asked for turkey bacon instead. we had no problem substituting the ham.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter