OK, I'll say it... we are too sensitive

No, we don't know - which is why I think the reaction was too quick. (I did only say "I'm still not sure...") But people today want instant results, and that often means knee-jerk reactions instead of research. I'd like to see some interviews with people who actually knew her or something.

I know that you said "I'm still not sure..." that is why I was agreeing that you're right, we don't know. And I agree, it does seem that it happened suddenly, but we don't know what research both the Yankees and the other team might have done. Apparently they thought they had reason enough.

"Probably"? I don't know that they did.
You also don't know that they didn't.
The irony here is not lost on me.

The word “Yankee”, when spoken both today as well as centuries ago, very often is meant as a derogatory word.
I'm from Massachusetts. Yankee is absolutely a derogatory word here!
You don't get it. The words, in the big sense, are about slavery, and slavery was wrong - even in the 1930's.
80+ years after slavery was abolished.

You also don't know that they didn't.

I'm from Massachusetts. Yankee is absolutely a derogatory word here!

80+ years after slavery was abolished.

No, I don't know that they didn't. All I have to go on at this time is the fact that she sang very racist songs. If she ever changed her horrible attitude towards black people I am certainly not aware.

Boston Sux :teeth:

I don't get your point in the third line.

It's not about a derogatory word! It's about racism!! Why is that so hard to understand?
Wow. I’m not sure I’m worthy of all those exclamation marks, but I appreciate them nonetheless. In an attempt to help put you at ease, I will add that I’m not having any difficulty understanding. Hope that helps.

Again, it's not about the individual words being used. "To Kill A Mockingbird" was teaching the WRONGness of slavery.
The novel had nothing to do with slavery, it was set in the 1930’s and depicted the feelings on race back then. An innocent black man was convicted of a crime it was pretty obvious he didn’t commit because of the race climate at that time.

The novel had nothing to do with slavery, it was set in the 1930’s and depicted the feelings on race back then. An innocent black man was convicted of a crime it was pretty obvious he didn’t commit because of the race climate at that time.

You are correct, I should have said "racism", not slavery. I am familiar with the book, and the movie.

Wow. I’m not sure I’m worthy of all those exclamation marks, but I appreciate them nonetheless. In an attempt to help put you at ease, I will add that I’m not having any difficulty understanding. Hope that helps.

I'm glad you appreciated them!!!

Thank you for the kind response. I find your avatar to be appropriate. You certainly are the “fairest” of them all. That is what Grimm meant by “fairest”....isn’t it?

I'd like to think that I try as hard as possible to look at things in context. I myself referred to my aunt as mentally retarded when I was a kid because that was the term used. It's not the term to use nowadays nor do I refer to my aunt as that now.

In the case of the OP I know for some people they associate the song with the artist and then view their works in that lens. I personally don't. I know artists who have sang lyrics that are quite crude and then they have a holiday or Christmas album out too.

many people here over the age of 60 use the word coloured when referring to black people. Is that racist in 2019, yes BUT many of the people who use that word in 2019 grew up in a world where that was the society norm. That word to THEM is the correct and proper term, its part of their vocabulary, just the same as the words blue, green tea, coffee. They would mostly live in a white society and would not interact with black people, except seeing them on TV or in films, or Obama. They dont understand that the world has moved on and that word is now considered racist. They get confused when you say it to them, as the saying the words black person to them is wrong, as THAT was considered racist when they were growing up!

My Irish immigrant relatives were so horribly racist it didn't matter what term they used to describe people, the meaning was clear.

They weren't playing "When Darkies Were Born" at Flyers games...they were playing God Bless America.

Even if she never recorded such songs way back then, the Flyers should have dumped her rendition of God Bless America at least 15 years ago. She had long ceased being the good luck charm she was in the 1970's. The Flyers lost many of the important games where the song was played. Her last two live appearances at games before her death also resulted in losses.

Too many Flyers fans are stuck in the past. Except for maybe three seasons, the team has been mediocre at best during this century. Desperately clinging to past glories isn't productive.

As for the removing her statue, yeah, that's overkill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter