OKW boat

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
I was wondering about the OKW boat. We are at OKW during Christmas week. Most times I've been to OKW the boat downtown disney didn't run until late in the afternoon. But I've noticed that during the Christmas week there are a lot of extended hours to things. I wondered if the boat would run any earlier. We don't want to do a lot of theme parking that week really, and it would be really nice to boat over for a lunch.

Also, if you wanted to go to dixie landings on the boat, would you have to go to dtd and then change to another boat? Probably would be easier to just drive over there if that i the case.

Before the "new boats" came online, and SSR was built, they would occasionally make a special stop at PO on request of a member. Now that SSR has added an "extra stop" to the route - and with the "new boats" no longer under the control of OKW rec dept, I don't know if it is possible, but you could inquire before boarding.

The boats usually start their runs in the late morning (10:30 or 11:30) and continue unitl 9 or 10 pm, depending on season and resort occupancy

Thanks, Chuck. The times look good.

With the older boat, they would suspend the transportation if it got too cold. That might have been the reason for late starts in the AM. Plus they would shut it down earlier in the evening for cold nights.

Don't know about the newer boats, though.

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but what about handicapped access on the boats? I am specifically wondering about the boat to DTD from OKW.

rigsby25 said:
I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but what about handicapped access on the boats? I am specifically wondering about the boat to DTD from OKW.

The new boats are wheelchair accessible. But it is easier (though not required) if the person can step out of the wheelchair, simply becasue boats, even when well tied, tend to "move".

Chuck S said:
The new boats are wheelchair accessible. But it is easier (though not required) if the person can step out of the wheelchair, simply becasue boats, even when well tied, tend to "move".

I was wondering how someone in a wheelchair would get down the steps to the boat? We didn't use the boats to DTD while we were there, but I was thinking that they could not be HA because of the steps. If it is true that my SIL could get on the boat I would be so happy!

At OKW, there is a bypass ramp in the pool area down to the boats, at DTD there is a ramp past Capt. Jack's, near the Margarita stand.

Oh thank you! I didn't see the bypass ramp when I was there, but if you say its there I'll look till I find it or ask someone. I am now so happy!

The OKW ramp is located in the pool area, not near the boat steps, it adjoins the far side of the docks from the steps. It is a little hard to find in the shrubbery.

Weather permitting, the bus to DD runs from 11:00am until 11:00pm. It runs every hour from 11:00am until 4:00pm and then every 30 minutes until 11:00pm. It does make a stop at SSR enroute. The boat is accessible and there are accessible ramps at OKW, DD and SSR.

The ride takes about 20 minutes in each direction and is certainly a pleasant way to get to DD. We've seen river otters, osprey and eagles during that trip over the years.

SSRMay04_002.jpg

Chuck S said:
The OKW ramp is located in the pool area, not near the boat steps, it adjoins the far side of the docks from the steps. It is a little hard to find in the shrubbery.
::yes::
It can be a little hard to see even if you know it's there.
People see the steps right by the boats to go to DD and don't even realize there is another set up steps that are close to the pool area that go down to the dock. The ramp is by the pool set of steps. Take the first pathway that goes down toward the pool and walk toward the lighthouse/sauna. You'll see a set of dock steps to your right. Just beyond those, there is a ramp that goes down to the dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter