OKW bus route question

eyeheartgoofy

DIS Veteran
What route does the bus take inside of OKW resort? Which location is the first stop and which location is the last stop?

Thanks.

The order of the stops is...
Peninsular Road, South Point, Turtle Pond, Millers Road, and the Hospitality House.

Every once in a while I've had them stop first at Hospitality House. Not often, but it does happen.

Every once in a while I've had them stop first at Hospitality House. Not often, but it does happen.

Probably the "Internal" busses. Busses that are part of the Downtown Disney loop are also designated as Internal when they arrive at OKW. They stop at the Hospitality House first, and then follow the loop that bzzelady posted, including the second stop at the HH.

The purpose of these busses is to service those relying on bus service to move around the resort itself. Those using the main pool, dining at Olivia's, etc. can board the Internal bus during its first stop at the HH and ride it to the OKW stop nearest their guest room.

The buses there are terribly slow. It was our biggest complaint about OKW.
Our room was closest to the 4th stop. We always got off at the first and could walk back to our room quicker than staying on the bus.

Probably the "Internal" busses. Busses that are part of the Downtown Disney loop are also designated as Internal when they arrive at OKW. They stop at the Hospitality House first, and then follow the loop that bzzelady posted, including the second stop at the HH.

The purpose of these busses is to service those relying on bus service to move around the resort itself. Those using the main pool, dining at Olivia's, etc. can board the Internal bus during its first stop at the HH and ride it to the OKW stop nearest their guest room.

Actually we had the same experience as DVC-Ron. The busses were not the internal or DTD ones, but from the parks. One time we had the Magic Kingdom bus stop at the HH first, then followed the normal route ending again at HH. The other time was with an Epcot Bus. However, those were the only times we had it happen during our 5 day stay so plan on the normal route.

Thanks! I am just worried about being the last stop on the way to the parks. We stayed at CBR one time and we were the last stop on the bus route - this resulted in us having to wait for another bus multiple times as the full bus zoomed on past.

Thanks! I am just worried about being the last stop on the way to the parks. We stayed at CBR one time and we were the last stop on the bus route - this resulted in us having to wait for another bus multiple times as the full bus zoomed on past.

This did happen occasionally last week. We always used the busses at the Hospitality House, which is the last stop except for the DTD bus. Sometimes that bus was very crowded. I never saw it so bad though that we had to wait for a second bus.

I do have to say the busses at OKW were our main (and only) disappointment with the resort. It seemed like we spent a lot of time waiting on busses last week. I always hated it when we'd walk up to a bus stop at a park and there would be no one there. That meant we had just missed the bus and would have a very long time to wait until the next one. I don't remember it being this bad at other resorts.

This did happen occasionally last week. We always used the busses at the Hospitality House, which is the last stop except for the DTD bus. Sometimes that bus was very crowded. I never saw it so bad though that we had to wait for a second bus.

I do have to say the busses at OKW were our main (and only) disappointment with the resort. It seemed like we spent a lot of time waiting on busses last week. I always hated it when we'd walk up to a bus stop at a park and there would be no one there. That meant we had just missed the bus and would have a very long time to wait until the next one. I don't remember it being this bad at other resorts.

Crud. That is my main concern and the reason I never really planned to stay at OKW or SSR. We just had such a bad experience with our location and busses at CBR that I have been afraid to try another spread out resort. I vowed to stick with hotel style resorts. BUT - I'm facing a poverty of points:rotfl: .

We will have a rental car, but my primary concern is making an early ADR at MK. It seems that Disney transportation is the best bet for MK.

Thanks for your info!

We will have a rental car, but my primary concern is making an early ADR at MK. It seems that Disney transportation is the best bet for MK.

If it helps any - of all the busses last week, we seemed to have the best luck with those going and coming from MK. The main one we had the most problems with was the Epcot bus, especially coming back from Epcot. Also, the AK bus seemed to be slower than others. The AK bus goes by Blizzard Beach and that slowed the trip down also.

Crud. That is my main concern and the reason I never really planned to stay at OKW or SSR. We just had such a bad experience with our location and busses at CBR that I have been afraid to try another spread out resort. I vowed to stick with hotel style resorts. BUT - I'm facing a poverty of points:rotfl:

Caribbean Beach Resort has over 2100 rooms. OKW has less than 800. I doubt you would have the same experience at the two, even though they have multiple bus stops.

HUGE difference between the CBR bus service and OKW! OKW has great bus service, but we hated the buses at both CBR and PORS.

Our experience a couple of weeks ago was that the bus service was mostly good, but there were a couple of bad times and that was not going to but coming home from the parks. It was a lot better than our SSR stay the week before though.

Caribbean Beach Resort has over 2100 rooms. OKW has less than 800. I doubt you would have the same experience at the two, even though they have multiple bus stops.

Well, I guess OKW will have fewer guests and thereby less bus congestion. But even though OKW has fewer rooms, does this mean the resort is not as sprawling as CBR? It seems to me that 800 spacious units at OKW would occupy close to the same square footage of 2100 motel rooms at CBR. Now I'm curious about the acreage each resort encompasses.

eyeheartgoofy says :But even though OKW has fewer rooms, does this mean the resort is not as sprawling as CBR? It seems to me that 800 spacious units at OKW would occupy close to the same square footage of 2100 motel rooms at CBR. Now I'm curious about the acreage each resort encompasses.

I just stayed at CBR in December. It sure "feels" bigger than OKW. I felt I had more walking at CBR---that is one sprawling resort.
I also feel the busses at OKW are good. I think the longest we ever waited last summer for one was 25 min. Average was 10-20 min.

I've stayed at many different wdw resorts over the years. Honestly, imo, the only resort that seems to have the fastest busses is suprisingly, POP. BUT....they are also VERY crowded almost all the time. OKW busses only seem crowded at park closing.

Generally, I find all the resorts I've stayed at (BWV, VWL, BC, Contemp, AS's, POP, POR, CBR) all had moments of hit or miss. One time, at the WL, we waited 45 min for a bus to MGM (and it was morning EMH). We were so frustrated, that we decided to take our car. Even as we were driving down the path away from the WL, we didn't see any MGM busses pulling into the resort. Have no idea if the bus ever showed up.

As for the acreage....not sure. Found this info online :
The centerpiece of CBR is its 45-acre lake, Barefoot Bay, surrounded by a 1.4-mile promenade which connects to winding paths leading to all guest rooms and common areas.

From this site :http://www.disney-hotels.org/learn/disney-caribbean-beach-resort.html
Disney Caribbean Beach Resort is the largest resort of Walt Disney World, covering 200 acres.

I know the jogging trail at OKW is 1.5 miles.
From this site : http://www.luxurydisneyguide.com/accom_dda.htm
A red-and-white striped lighthouse leads the way to the resort’s 156 acres filled with 2- and 3-story pastel structures, each with a shiny tin roof, white gingerbread trim, and striped awnings. Peace and quiet prevails amid the tropical landscaping of palms

If you stay close to the Peninsular stop, you can simply walk back to HH if you see the bus heading back that way. There is plenty of time to do so walking at a leisurely pace. Using that strategy, our average wait time to get on the bus was less than 10 minutes. However, if you get on at Peninsular, it takes almost 20 minutes to get out of the resort.

Each DVC has its own advantages and disadvantages. IMHO, the bus service at each is mostly reliable. OKW benefits in that the busses are rarely as full as they are at BCV or BWV. You want to be frustrated? Try the bus service there. Not only are they infrequent, but they are packed (far more than OKW).

Each DVC has its own advantages and disadvantages. IMHO, the bus service at each is mostly reliable. OKW benefits in that the busses are rarely as full as they are at BCV or BWV. You want to be frustrated? Try the bus service there. Not only are they infrequent, but they are packed (far more than OKW).
Yes, we stayed at BWV only once, so not sure how fair this is. But our experience was the MK bus in the evening was very late. We said something to a passing BW CM and he told us, at the end of the night, they often concentrate more on getting people out of the parks, vs into the parks for EMH. Ok...that's nice. We were going to retrieve our car, but would have had to walk all the way back into the lobby....to the front of the resort and wait for the valet to retrieve it from the back parking lot. Too much hassle...so we waited.
I think all disney resorts experience troubles from time to time as Diznut said. OKW is not perfect, but certainly no worse than some other disney resorts.

remember if you are at HH and you have to wait for the next bus. Just walk to Pensicular - then it will just be a few minutes before one comes. (unless you already missed it then walk back to HH - always ask)

but yes with 5 bus stops - the buses will be slow. especially since the resort was NOT designed with buses in mind. Some of the turns the buses have to make can only be done slow.

Still remember one person who only wanted one bus stop. guess which one - his.....:rotfl:

I like the multiple stops - you will never be far from a bus stop at OKW.

Now SSR is my opinion needs a few more bus stops. some people will have to walk quit a way to get to a bus stop.

OKW has 761 rooms. CBR has 2,112 rooms.

okw is not as spread out as CBR - although a 2-bedroom not to mention a GV definitely take up more space than a room.

I think a 1-bedroom is equal to 3 rooms, 2-bedroom is equal to 4.5 rooms, GV - 7 rooms???? 5 on the first floor and 2 on the second?

a studio is 1 to 1.5 rooms (because of the balcony)

BWV, BCV - sometimes all the Epcot resorts share a bus. Generally in the morning they don't. but in the afternoon they do. in the evening it seems to depend.

VWL shares a bus - with FW, Polyn, Cont or GF - generally with one or at the most two.

that is one reason I love Pop - no bus sharing - one stop.

AKV might have a worst problem - there is only going to be one stop (near the lobby I think). that will be a long walk for guest.

there is only going to be one stop (near the lobby I think). that will be a long walk for guest.
Oh boy....I was hoping they'd add another one....I could see this being a bit of a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter