OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Generic decor is the norm going forward when DVC does renovations. I hope you reported the broken drawer to maintenance.. TIny TV sounds like you were in a studio, the TVs in a one bedroom are large and built into the kitchen island.
Yep, they all look like Hampton Inns. In the OKW studio, there isn't a wall big enough for a large television opposite the bed.

Love Miller Rd Buildings 18-19. If you’re ok with stairs, request 3rd floor. We also like Building 27-28 for short trek to HH and boats. First stop on bus route!

Returned from our first stay at OKW. We were in building 27, which was great. As kmorlock said above, it's an easy walk to HH and the boat to DS. We had a 1 br (amazing!) with a golf course view. Buses were fine. We caught on that it's easier to walk to HH when going to the parks to get the bus. This way we didn't have to ride it all throughout the resort before it left. We learned NOT to do this with the morning MK but, however, as it was so full by the time it got to the HH stop (and once so full it skipped it entirely). It was great being the first stop when coming back to the resort.
We loved the beautiful, tropical feel of OKW. I love the resort gift shops, but I was a bit disappointed with Conch Flats because it was so small. We also missed having a true quick serve place to eat. There aren't many options at Goods Food to Go and what we got wasn't that good. As for staff, everyone was super nice and helpful.
I'd say the good far outweigh the not as good here. We're looking at buying into DVC within the year and will most likely chose OKW, mostly because of the size and layout of that beautiful room!

We're looking at buying into DVC within the year and will most likely chose OKW, mostly because of the size and layout of that beautiful room!

I'm so glad you liked OKW. One thing to remember...in one bedroom and larger units there was a design change during construction. Your one bedroom in bldg 27 only had a single entrance to the bathroom. In bldgs 30 and higher, they added a door to the bathroom through the laundry room. Just keep that in mind, depending upon who you maybe traveling with in the future. Immediate family is probably fine, while traveling with other guests, the 2nd door would probably be preferred.

I'm so glad you liked OKW. One thing to remember...in one bedroom and larger units there was a design change during construction. Your one bedroom in bldg 27 only had a single entrance to the bathroom. In bldgs 30 and higher, they added a door to the bathroom through the laundry room. Just keep that in mind, depending upon who you maybe traveling with in the future. Immediate family is probably fine, while traveling with other guests, the 2nd door would probably be preferred.

Thanks, that's good to know! We would definitely prefer that second entrance to the bathroom, but it looks like most of the buildings are located deeper into the resort. Is there any way to book a 2 br with the second bathroom entrance that is close to HH, or do you just book HH and hope for the best?

There are no buildings really close to HH with the modification. The only exceptions are building 62. 63 and 64 which were built a few years after the rest of the resort, on the site of the Commodore House, the original DVC sales center. That is why those 3 buildings also have elevators, to comply with a change in the Americans with Disabilities Act after the rest of the resort was built. The resort was built in phases

There are no buildings really close to HH with the modification. The only exceptions are building 62. 63 and 64 which were built a few years after the rest of the resort, on the site of the Commodore House, the original DVC sales center. That is why those 3 buildings also have elevators, to comply with a change in the Americans with Disabilities Act after the rest of the resort was built. The resort was built in phases

So close to HH or a second bathroom entrance....decisions, decisions.... :scratchin

So close to HH or a second bathroom entrance....decisions, decisions.... :scratchin
I usually try for buildings 30 to 35. You're close enough to walk to HH if you want to, but you have the option of hopping on any park bus to ride up if you like. The pool for that area of the resort is the nicest (IMO) of the quiet pools, and basically you ride through 1/2 the resort returning from, or leaving for, the parks.

I usually try for buildings 30 to 35. You're close enough to walk to HH if you want to, but you have the option of hopping on any park bus to ride up if you like. The pool for that area of the resort is the nicest (IMO) of the quiet pools, and basically you ride through 1/2 the resort returning from, or leaving for, the parks.
That sounds great, thanks!

In Dec we stayed at South Point in Bldg 56 (studio, first floor right next to the playground at the pool). We got the first bus that hit the bus station there to ride to the HH if we wanted to dine or shop at the store. We'd walk over to the Peninsular Road bus stop and get the next bus that arrived to take us back to South Point. It was so easy to get where we wanted to go in the resort.

As for Goods to Go being so small, OKW was the original Disney Vacation Club resort, so they didn't think most guests would want a quick service restaurant, just a nice table service and something near the pool to pick up lunch or a snack since everyone had either a kitchenette or full kitchen (and at OKW it is truly a full sized kitchen). The All Stars hadn't been built yet and all they had were Caribbean Beach for moderates. Port Orleans French Quarter opened the same year OKW opened. Food courts weren't even a big thing yet.

Have a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom lock off booked but wait listed a grandvilla. Does every building have Grandvillas?

There is a total of 27 Grand Villas at OKW, including one ADA unit with a ground floor entrance (building 48) and another ADA unit in Building 63. There aren't a lot of GVs at OKW.

There is a total of 27 Grand Villas at OKW, including one ADA unit with a ground floor entrance (building 48) and another ADA unit in Building 63. There aren't a lot of GVs at OKW.
27 that’s a good amount, SSR has 36 I think and it’s almost twice the size of OKW. We have a OKW GV booked for the fall. Our first stay in a GV, can’t wait.

GV's are found in Buildings 15,16,19,22,25,29,43,48,49,51,53 and 63. 25 is the only Near Hospitality House booking category and there are two GVs in the building.

Thanks BillPA. I forgot about the second floor of the GV.

Last edited:
I stayed at my beloved home resort this past December, and had a weird experience. I was in room 2525, a studio. There were people in the adjoining 1 BR. One night (Sunday morning) at around 5 am someone there started yelling. I thought maybe he was drunk. But the next morning at around the same time, someone started moaning and making noise. Apparently someone with a disability. The next morning was the same, but a little less. Then, my final morning (a Friday) it started up at around 3 am. When I was leaving at 7 am or so I stopped into the lobby and told the CM that they should be aware that the next people checking in to room 2525 will be calling tomorrow morning to complain.

My wife and i really love OKW. We like the close proximity to DS especially.

We had an offer accepted recently that will be headed to ROFR soon. I'm not optimistic that it will pass, but fingers crossed!

135 Point contract. 117 points available March 2021. So kind of a stripped down contract. Offer accepted @ $90/point.

My wife and i really love OKW. We like the close proximity to DS especially.

We had an offer accepted recently that will be headed to ROFR soon. I'm not optimistic that it will pass, but fingers crossed!

135 Point contract. 117 points available March 2021. So kind of a stripped down contract. Offer accepted @ $90/point.
Good luck. Hope you get it. We've owned OKW for almost 23 years and it is still our favorite.

I have only stayed here once and looking to go again this October in a 2 bedroom. What is YOUR favorite buidling to request for a 2 bedrooon? 4 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter