OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We are staying at OKW 12/15 - 12/26 this year. 2br Dedicated. We would like to hang some Christmas Lights from the balcony is there an outlet out there?
We are staying at OKW 12/15 - 12/26 this year. 2br Dedicated. We would like to hang some Christmas Lights from the balcony is there an outlet out there?

There is an outlet on the balcony, however OKW requests that you not decorate the balcony.

Strings of lights are included in the tree sharing box. However, since DVC instituted the "please do not decorate the balconies" policy, I tell people to use them outside at their own risk. Nothing wrong with using them inside, as long as you don't actually attach them to anything (no tape, staples, etc.).

And where does it say this? I've never seen anything of the sort.

It's been a few years and I don't recall the exact medium - it may have been in the Disney Files or else in an email. It was the same year or one year earlier than when they placed some restrictions in place for the campers at FW also. We used to decorate the balconies too until that communication I received from DVC. We also were informed of it at check in one time. To "paraphrase" it said you could decorate inside your villa to your hearts content but to refrain from any decorations that could be seen outside your room which included decorating your windows so they could be seen and also decorating your doors. Of course there are some people that either ignore or don't know but if one knows it would seem appropriate to follow the directive.

At this time it would be best to ask at check-in if it were ok. Perhaps the resorts no longer care but maybe they still do.

Here's a notice from 2010:

Resort leaders offer holiday-decorating reminder

As Disney Parks and Resorts reflect the spirit of the season with a winter wonderland of holiday decorations, many Disney Vacation Club® Members are decorating their villas in similarly festive fashion.

While Disney Vacation Club welcomes the use of safe decorations that don't damage the finishes of the villa, resort leaders are reminding Members that all decorations should be contained within the villa interiors and therefore shouldn't extend to the balcony or other exterior areas.

This policy, included in Members' condominium documents, is designed to help preserve the carefully crafted architectural stories and visual themes for which Disney Parks and Resorts are famous.

I was just looking at PVB's initial declaration and it list restrictions to what you put on the villa's balcony.

No object shall be hung from the balconies or window sills.

Last edited:
Sigh. This is not helpful information. When you go to the OKW rooms & rates on the regular site, the orange caution sign is up.
Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust

Starting in mid-September, 2016, the Sandcastle Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment. The leisure pools located at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller’s Road will remain available for your enjoyment. Please check back here for updates.

I called guest service this afternoon and they couldn't confirm the sandcastle closure.

What they told me was that the pool off Miller road was closed now until September 29th.... Can anyone else confirm this?

Also discussing the notice in the Disney website they double checked and her supervisor said that the sandcastle pool would be closed around December 20th. She said the mid September notice is a typo

We are going to Okw in October can anyone else confirm these two pool closures?

I called guest service this afternoon and they couldn't confirm the sandcastle closure.

What they told me was that the pool off Miller road was closed now until September 29th.... Can anyone else confirm this?

Also discussing the notice in the Disney website they double checked and her supervisor said that the sandcastle pool would be closed around December 20th. She said the mid September notice is a typo

We are going to Okw in October can anyone else confirm these two pool closures?

I hope it is a typo! We will be there the week after Thanksgiving and my kids would be so disappointed if it is closed. Last trip they went down that slide over and over for hours. Would love to know before our trip what to expect :)

What they told me was that the pool off Miller road was closed now until September 29th.... Can anyone else confirm this?...?
I hope the laundry room is still open.

Yes this pool closure notice has been on the booking since Monday. Wonder if they are totally refurbishing the pools before they start the whole room refurbs?

Sigh. This is not helpful information. When you go to the OKW rooms & rates on the regular site, the orange caution sign is up.

Starting in mid-September, 2016, the Sandcastle Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment. The leisure pools located at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller’s Road will remain available for your enjoyment. Please check back here for updates.

This bums me out a lot. I wish I had known this when I booked the hotel back in April.

So the Miller Road pool is closed end of Sept. 2016, does it state how long it is down for refurbishing

Getting worse:

From early January through February 2017, the Sandcastle Pool at Disney’s Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment. The pools at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller’s Road will remain available for your enjoyment.

Also, something weird is going on with booking - all rooms at OKW say unavailable for the middle of Feb (2/22-2/26). We have our rooms booked already...but waiting to hear from the friends we're traveling with. We'll switch to WL with them, if they want, or we'll do POR

Also, something weird is going on with booking - all rooms at OKW say unavailable for the middle of Feb (2/22-2/26). We have our rooms booked already...but waiting to hear from the friends we're traveling with. We'll switch to WL with them, if they want, or we'll do POR
I'm not surprised. Those dates coincide with February Vacation week in most New England school systems. DVC members have likely booked those as far ahead of time as they can.

I'm not surprised. Those dates coincide with February Vacation week in most New England school systems. DVC members have likely booked those as far ahead of time as they can.

True - that's why we're going too :) but all the options had availability last week and there are studios open for those dates at every other DVC resort. It was only since Thursday that suddenly all of the studios, 1bd, and 2bd at OKW show no availability.

Also Feb. 23-26 is the weekend for the Princess 1/2 marathon. That means that there is about 25,000 runners for the races alone, not counting the spectators!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter