One adult, 2 kids--how to get there

Tallent

DIS Veteran
Ds (12) has been to WDW 7 times and we are taking his best bud of 8 years who has never been. (dh and dd are staying home for school/work). We are taking 2 days off of school right before spring break and will return during spring break so lots of rest/recoup time.

I will be the only adult---DS' bud has never flown and is excited but nervous. We are paying for the buddy to come with us though his family will pay transportation.

Options:
A) fly out of BWI and hope he is ok with the flights. approx $400 rt each person
B) train down with points so no cost but then we are adding 2 days which I'd prefer not to do.
C) drive down. DS has car sick issues but does ok enough on meds. 13 hour drive not including traffic. One driver (me)

What would you do?

Fly. Is the hesitation just because he hasn't flown before? I wouldn't worry about that much.

Yes, I'm hesitant to fly because of the What If? But I've known this boy for years and his mom is ok with him flying with us....so back to looking for airfare!! Thanks everyone!!

FLY! With the suggestion that you try and find a non-stop to reduce the travel complexity.

And do keep searching the airfares. I understand that you are traveling around spring break but I hope that with all of the Southwest flights out of BWI you'll be able to do better than $400RT.
Wishing you a pixiedust: trip!

Yes, I'm hesitant to fly because of the What If? But I've known this boy for years and his mom is ok with him flying with us....so back to looking for airfare!! Thanks everyone!!

A 12 year old shouldn't have issues with a short domestic flight.

Do you want to talk through the "what ifs" so we can help with that?

My niece only flew once and that was to WDW when she was 4 and she doesn't really remember much about the flight. Fast forward to 2 years ago, when she was 12, she flew by herself to visit my parents! It went smoothly and other than being a unaccompanied minor so requiring the FA assist, she was fine. I think, unless your DS's friend has certain unmanageable phobias, he should be fine.

FLY! With the suggestion that you try and find a non-stop to reduce the travel complexity.

And do keep searching the airfares. I understand that you are traveling around spring break but I hope that with all of the Southwest flights out of BWI you'll be able to do better than $400RT.
Wishing you a pixiedust: trip!

Thank you so much!!

A 12 year old shouldn't have issues with a short domestic flight.

Do you want to talk through the "what ifs" so we can help with that?

I guess the biggest one would be IF it's a turbulent flight or IF he's scared, that he won't have as good of a time knowing that he'll have to get back on the plane. But then again, I'm well aware that I'm probably projecting my own biggest fears about what could mar the trip. In reality, he'll probably fine and I'll feel silly for having worried at all.

I guess the biggest one would be IF it's a turbulent flight or IF he's scared, that he won't have as good of a time knowing that he'll have to get back on the plane. But then again, I'm well aware that I'm probably projecting my own biggest fears about what could mar the trip. In reality, he'll probably fine and I'll feel silly for having worried at all.

My son is 13 and barely even notices turbulence. He thinks it's funny when he does notice it. And he thinks I'm a dweeb for being nervous about it.

I bet your own son can help his friend if those things happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter