Orlando Informer meet up Dec 6th or Monday with EP?

TISHLOVESDISNEY

It all started with a duck.
Hi all. I am looking for info/experiences/advice on the OI meet ups and if I should do it Dec 6th or just do a park to park day on Monday?
I already have a ressie at Hard Rock for Sunday night, not the discount from the meet up, darnit, says sold out for that.
I had originally planned a 1 day trip over from Disney, but just realized this week that there is an OI meet up Sunday night.
I am assuming there are people on here familiar with the meet ups. Just looking for any info really. I no longer have a Facebook account, and I really don't want to activate my old account 🙅‍♀️
Also, on the meet up site it says the parks will close later, but the hours are listed at 6 and 5. So how will the meet up work if that stays the same?
TIA for any input

I went to their website for the info for the meet up

I don’t use fb

It states how to register for the OI night

Once you have bought their ticket, you can enter the park early (3:00)
When park is closed to the public, you will be able to stay in the park.

I was just hoping for anyone with experience from past meetups, to share their experience.
With that, I just went ahead and purchased our OI meetup tickets. 🤷‍♀️ Something new, and we really love the after hours at Disney, and this is much much more, so we shall see. 😁

I was just hoping for anyone with experience from past meetups, to share their experience.
With that, I just went ahead and purchased our OI meetup tickets. 🤷‍♀️ Something new, and we really love the after hours at Disney, and this is much much more, so we shall see. 😁
I had mentioned this on another thread but RixFlix had a video from one of these and it looks pretty cool.
There was a lot of extra entertainment etc..
One thing that I wonder is will everything (foodwise) be open like it was in the past.

I had mentioned this on another thread but RixFlix had a video from one of these and it looks pretty cool.
There was a lot of extra entertainment etc..
One thing that I wonder is will everything (foodwise) be open like it was in the past.
Thanks I'll check it out. I was trying to find info, I don't do FB any longer, which is what the gal at OI advised me to do. (join FB group)
I've always wanted to do one of these, it just so happened to line up perfectly with my already Hard Rock reservation. :)

I went December last year, and will be going again this year! What kind of room do you have reserved at Hard Rock? If it's a standard room, you might be able to switch it to the Orlando Informer rate once you get your ticket. I usually reserve the room I want at the standard price once a Meetup is announced and then call to switch the rate when the OI rates go live.

Either way, if you have just one Universal day, the Meetup is the way to go :) It's a fun atmosphere, and there's free food!

I was just coming to ask about this. Originally planned on getting the family seasonal APs with the extra 3 months. We have never been and I’m not sure at this stage kids would want to return anytime soon. Then saw our Dec 6-8 trip falls on a meetup night. We splurged for a 2 BR at HRH since our kids are getting so old! I am debating getting AP for DH and I since we now travel as a couple more. Then get everyone meetup tickets. Then decide if the kids want a day ticket for Monday after the meetup. Season AP’s are about double a day ticket -it almost seems worth it. But maybe a full afternoon through midnight at the meetup will be enough for my kids and they’d rather hang in our fancy room and hit up CityWalk and eat a nice dinner. Sorry to hijack the thread - I’d just love more info about experiences especially since we are first timers!

Last edited:

I went December last year, and will be going again this year! What kind of room do you have reserved at Hard Rock? If it's a standard room, you might be able to switch it to the Orlando Informer rate once you get your ticket. I usually reserve the room I want at the standard price once a Meetup is announced and then call to switch the rate when the OI rates go live.

Either way, if you have just one Universal day, the Meetup is the way to go :) It's a fun atmosphere, and there's free food!
thanks so much for the post!
My room is standard. I had it reserved before I even knew there was a meet up. I actually found out about the meet up last week from someone's post on Dis.
I did look at OI's site for rooms, it says Hard Rock is sold out.
I may try calling.
Yeah, I am excited for it, I think it'll be a lot of fun. DS8 is a big Universal fan, and a night owl, so he will be in heaven. :)

I was just coming to ask about this. Originally planned on getting the family seasonal APs with the extra 3 months. We have never been and I’m not sure at this stage kids would want to return anytime soon. Then saw our Dec 6-8 trip falls on a meetup night. We splurged for a 2 BR at HRH since our kids are getting so old! I am debating getting AP for DU and I since we now travel as a couple more. Then get everyone meetup tickets. Then decide if the kids want a day ticket for Monday after the meetup. Season AP’s are about double a day ticket -it almost seems worth it. But maybe a full afternoon through midnight at the meetup will be enough for my kids and they’d rather hang in our fancy room and hit up CityWalk and eat a nice dinner. Sorry to hijack the thread - if just live more info about experiences especially since we are first timers!
Hijack away!!! :)
I figure we hopefully check in earlier than 4, maybe swim a bit in the fancy pool, then head over. I am hoping they do indeed close later like OI states. We can use express passes from 3-close, so that was what sealed the deal for me. :) Should be able to get everything done and then some!!

I would think you'd be able to keep your room and change to the oi rate :) I might be wrong, but I don't see why they wouldn't do that for you over the phone.

As for the person asking about season passes, there's a promo right now that gives you an extra 3 months (it activates on your first park day), so might as well! If any of your party likes Harry Potter, you'll be hooked :P

Yes that’s what I’m thinking! I’ll get hubby and I the AP’s so I can get the hotel rate then if the kids want to go back on Monday I can just buy them a day ticket that morning! But I have a feeling if they get it all gone and eat all that food they might choose to sleep in, order room service for breakfast then shop and go to a relaxing dinner. Think I’m about to get our meetup tix! And my ds12 is the one who is all about it!!!

I would think you'd be able to keep your room and change to the oi rate :) I might be wrong, but I don't see why they wouldn't do that for you over the phone.

As for the person asking about season passes, there's a promo right now that gives you an extra 3 months (it activates on your first park day), so might as well! If any of your party likes Harry Potter, you'll be hooked :P

I know! Even the buy 2 days get 2 two free tix are just a tad less than seasonal AP. I guess I have a few more days to decide but maybe it would be an excuse to get my family back into trip mode one day!

So for the meetup, you can get in with your meetup ticket at 3:00. The parks will then close to the public at 5 or 6 (depending on the day and the park). The meetup ends at 12:30 or 1 (again, depending on the day). So from park close to meetup end, you get free reign of the park with only the other meetupers. I believe food service starts an hour after park close, and ends an hour before meetup end.

I've been to 5 of these, and have tickets for the 11th, and they are amazing!

I'm not sure you'll be able to switch your room rate if the rate is sold out, but keep calling in. Availability changes frequently, and the OI site isn't real time.

Wow so even if the park closings stay earlier they aren’t adjusting the closing time for the meet up? That’s awesome.
Do you have any tips for Hagrid’s? 😁
We rode it twice last November but obviously want to ride again, hopefully twice so we each get motorcycle.
I’ve read the line for it was still an hour but could be timing.
Thank you for the info!

Wow so even if the park closings stay earlier they aren’t adjusting the closing time for the meet up? That’s awesome.
Do you have any tips for Hagrid’s? 😁
We rode it twice last November but obviously want to ride again, hopefully twice so we each get motorcycle.
I’ve read the line for it was still an hour but could be timing.
Thank you for the info!

Correct! The end time of the meetup will stay as whatever time they've announced. The only change they made to timing was to add an additional hour to the beginning. In the past, we were only able to get in at 4.

For Hagrids, you'll probably want to wait until the day crowds are gone. Remember that day guests are able to get in line up until closing so it may be awhile to clear them out. Not sure how this works if they're using a virtual line tho. Also, the Harry Potter restaurants get slammed right when the food opens, so you'll probably want to hold off on them as well.
Oh! And for this meetup, you also get a dining card that's good for a meal and a snack BEFORE the parks close. So you can eat whatever you want that may not be available during the meetup.

Correct! The end time of the meetup will stay as whatever time they've announced. The only change they made to timing was to add an additional hour to the beginning. In the past, we were only able to get in at 4.

For Hagrids, you'll probably want to wait until the day crowds are gone. Remember that day guests are able to get in line up until closing so it may be awhile to clear them out. Not sure how this works if they're using a virtual line tho. Also, the Harry Potter restaurants get slammed right when the food opens, so you'll probably want to hold off on them as well.
Oh! And for this meetup, you also get a dining card that's good for a meal and a snack BEFORE the parks close. So you can eat whatever you want that may not be available during the meetup.
Awesome info!! Thank you!

What good meals or snacks might not be available during the meetup that we should use it on before parks close? Good for the meetup looks great but as a first timer I’d love to know what to get when we enter early!

You'll get a full menu of the Meetup offerings in November :)

I don't think the new crepes will be available, so that's one of the things I'm going to grab while the park is still open to everyone!

You'll get a full menu of the Meetup offerings in November :)

I don't think the new crepes will be available, so that's one of the things I'm going to grab while the park is still open to everyone!
Now I have to go research these new crepes you mention...

I love the OI meetups. My first one was Dec 2019. I then went to Feb 2020 and was scheduled to go to the May 2020 meetup. I am going to both meetup weekends in December. Most rides are walk-ons. In some sections of the parks you feel like the only people there. You get all the food you can eat. The OI team puts on something special for each meetup. You are also there with like minded people and the atmosphere is awesome. It's so much fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter