• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OUAT fans, does the show ruin the Disney movies universe?

I find it silly when people say anything can 'ruin' something for them. If you love it, you love it. a Non-canon departure shouldn't bother you. For instance I love Peter Pan. Wasn't thrilled with how they portrayed him in OUaT, but that doesn't diminish my love for the source material or the original film at all. Nope, not one bit.

:thumbsup2

THIS! I never understood this either. Why are people upset about remakes, reboots, or re-imaginings? Now, if they were going to destroy the first to make the second, maybe, but the originals are still there. OUAT has destroyed any of the movies, Maleficent has destroyed Sleeping Beauty, and the 1998 Godzilla exists alongside the originals and the new one. Bring on any new versions you want, that's more for me to choose from. I can understand disappointment if it isn't the way we want, but it doesn't ruin a thing.

Except Howard the Duck. That ruined any duck characters forever and ever.

:lmao: (Kidding)

^ ^^
I think you guys took my words to literal.

This wouldn't ruin all aspects of anything for me, I just wanted to see if anyone else has faced the issue of seeing classic characters different.

Here nor there, watched all three seasons with my wife, and even my mom got in on watching it.

Season 1 was great for the most part.

Season 2 started off slow, but got good towards the end. It was enjoyable.

Season 3 was very "meh" to me, being a big Peter Pan fan, I was disappointed with how the portrayal went, but it wasn't my issue with the season. My issue was how a lot of the twist or major story turns occurred so nonchalantly. There was one death in particular that was just ridiculously underwhelming and paid absolutely NO JUSTICE to a great character.
The ending everybody loved was a very welcome cliff hanger though, and imo - the pinnacle of the season. In my opinion it gave us a glimmer of hope in an otherwise lackluster season. Hopefully season 4 delivers.

As far as my original question goes - if anybody whom reads this is worried about it, for the most part your opinions of most characters will not change and are fairly easy to separate between the universes. I will say, however, there are a couple of characters that I do think it sways opinions a tad bit, unfortunately.

Here nor there, it is a decent show and gives us some excitement (especially when it introduces little Disney specific Easter eggs here and there).

^^ I do love when Adam&Edward throw in some Dianey goodies in there. Theres alot of easter eggs in Mr. Gold's shop. Its like a treasure hunt in his shop. I do hope that they keep any Frozen characters similar to their charactersistics in the movie. I dont know why but for those characters it would be weird to see Olaf, Anna, Elsa, etc.... Be evil or dark.

I love the show, Belle's Australian accent and all, however the only problem I have with the show is how underwhelming Maleficent is. She's one of Disney's most well known villains and she kind of gets the short end of the stick here.

We are contemplating on starting OUAT, however I want to ask a few questions...

Will the OUAT universe ruin what we think of Classic characters? For example, I have seen people talk about how they dislike Peter Pan and like Captain Hook in the show - whereas obviously in the animated Disney universe, Peter Pan is a good guy and loved by many.

I am curious to watch the show as it relates to Disney, but just don't want to think of classic characters in a different way because of it (if that makes sense), thus ruining the Disney universe as we know it.

I already know there are parts that have been ruined that I am not fond of how they wrote it - as it doesn't match-up to the movie/ original story, so it worries me that I will think of the characters differently than I do from the Disney movies.

Thanks in advance!

I don't watch OUAT, but I read a graphic novel series called Fables. Similar concept, fairytale characters are living in a modern day/real world settlement in NYC. It contains murder, war, affairs, etc. It hasn't ruined how I feel about any of my Disney movies or characters! It is easy for me to separate the traditional Disney versions from the secret agent Cinderella, initially cold but likable Snow White, and the womanizing Prince Charming. It can be fun to see the characters in a new way :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter