• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our personal stroller was stolen outside Pirates of Caribbean Saturday night.

Rita1965

Mouseketeer
I guess after 30+ trips to Disneyland/WDW it finally had to happen. We had a wonderful trip to Disneyland, and arrived 9/27. Our last night was Saturday 9/29. It was around 11pm, and my friends took my daughter on PoC. When they came out, my stroller was gone. Some CM's helped us looke all around the ride, but it was obvious that it was gone. We reported it stolen at the Lost and Found. We figured if somebody just used it inside the park, it would be found by the next day. I had adress labels in the cup holders, on the frame, and several other places. Sadly, Disneyland has not recovered it, so somebody strolled it off the property.

What gets me mad is that it is a hard to find stroller. The Baby Depot that sold it, no longer sells it. It is a Kolcraft Alumina stroller. I loved this stroller, because it is full size, lies down flat, has a big basket, and great canopy, and with all of that, only weighs 11lbs because it is made of aluminum. Of course it was an expensive stroller.

My 4 year old keeps asking for it, and could not understand why somebody took her stroller. She said "Don't they know my legs get tired".

Anyway, just wanted everybody to know that this happens. It is not a common thing, but it happens. I bought a Graco aluminum stroller today to replace it, but it is not that light. I wish I could have my stroller back, but at least I am not the parent who has taught their child it is ok to steal. At least my child is not rolling around in stolen property.

Besides that, we had a wonderful trip. Crowds were light. Loved Soarin over California. My 4 year old got to ride Splash for the first time and loved it. We went on Splash, with a 5 minute wait each time, at least 4 times a day.

Bummer about the stroller! Some people have a lot of nerve. And you're right....just what kind of moral values are they instilling in their children?!? Very sad indeed. Nice to hear the rest of your trip was good though...

I read some tips on preventing someone else from taking your personal stroller...either by accident or purposefully....I think it was in the UnOfficial Guide...anyway, one that struck me as really funny was a family took a disposable diaper, soaked it with Root Beer, wrapped it in a clear plastic bag and tied it to the handle of their stroller. It looked so gross they figured no one would want to go near that diaper! (apparently it worked!)

Thanks for the tip. I had read that and some other ones too. I just never thought it would be necessary since I have been to Disneyland so many times, and nothing like this had ever happened. Everybody parks their strollers, and I had not heard about stroller theft, so I did not bother locking it up.

On our next strip I will bring something to lock the wheel to the frame. This won't prevent the stroller from being moved by CM's, but nobody can just stroll it out of the park.

That stinks! I am so sorry. I read about that root beer trick, too. Maybe I will try it!

I'm sorry to hear about your stroller. We will be heading down to WDW soon, and I'm wondering if you have already purchased something to "lock" the wheels to the frame. Were you thinking in lines of a bicycle chain-type lock? Just curious to see what you or others have tried that might work.

That sounds like a great idea, Snurk. I wonder if you can do that. I have heard that you can't lock the stroller to structures in the park for fire safety reasons, and also so that the staff can move them from place to place as needed. But, locking the stroller to ITSELF, just so it can't roll out of the park, seems harmless enough. That is something to think about!

Snurk, I decided to get a bicycle chain with a combination code lock on it. I tried it on my stroller and locked the wheel to the frame, and it cannot be rolled normally. To move my stroller with the lock on, you have to left the back off the ground and roll it on the front wheels only. I am also able to prevent the stroller from being collapsed by hooking up the chain the right way. This way, the CM's can still move the stroller as needed, but nobody would want to haul the stroller like that out of the park. I chose a combination lock so I don't have to worry about loosing the key. Now I only have to worry about loosing my mind and forget the combination.:)

I might have to look into that. This will be our first trip with our little princess (who will be 15 months), and now I'm kind of worried about the whole stroller thing after reading about your experience. Are you going to point out to the CM at each attraction where you park your stroller that it is "locked" so they know to move it a certain way? Also, how often would you say your stroller has been moved by the CMs at attractions? Is it every attraction or just every once in a while throughout your whole trip?

Thanks!

The CM's just rearrange them. They are only moved short distances, so I won't bother to tell the CM's about the lock. They will see it, and can just lift up the back wheels and roll it. A lot of them do it this way anyway, because most of the strollers have their breaks on.

Keep in mind that this is the first time in 10 years it has happened to me. It also happened at closing when parents have tired children they have to carry out. If you are not staying to closing you might be a little safer.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your little princess. She will love Dumbo and It's a small world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter