Our Scotland Brave Adventure!

Thank you! As long as the second night isn't a Sunday you should be fine. The Tattoo doesn't perform on Sundays. Performances Monday through Friday are at 9:00. Saturdays there are two performances one at 7:30 and one at 10:30. I remember thinking we could have even swung the VIP dinner package on that free night albeit narrowly.

I agree with Edinburghlass. You definitely want to view the performers from above if possible. I loved our seats which were high above and under cover but those were only available through the hospitality VIP package. I wanted to be under cover in case it rained. Our seat reservations were confirmed before they went on sale to the public. You can also book general tickets earlier by becoming a Friend of the Tattoo. If you go in August, like we did, you won't get dinner in Edinburgh Castle with ABD. However, if you book the Queen Anne room VIP dinner package with the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo you get to have dinner at the castle. The Queen Anne room is the same room for the ABD farewell dinner at the castle for the tours that don't take place in August.

I know some of the meals are included.

What other expensives are there?

Where they other things to do, if for example unable to do the hikes?

I know some of the meals are included.

What other expensives are there?

Additional expenses would be airfare to/from where the ABD is taking place. The ABD guides tips, which are $6 - $9 per guide, per person traveling in your party, per day. Naturally, any souvenirs you decide to buy are also an additional expense.

There are usually alternate activities or opt outs should someone wish to do something else on their own. This happened on our hike day. There happened to be a Highland Festival the same day we were doing the hike and a few people opted to do that instead. ABD dropped them off before the hike and picked them up afterwards. ABD will not pay for things you decide to do on your own or reimburse for things you opt out of on the itinerary.

ABD does, in some instances, provide alternative activities for things like difficult hikes. On the Arizona/Utah trip, folks who didn't want to hike to Delicate Arch took the motorcoach on a trip around arches, and got to see a lot more arches than those of us who hiked (just not as close up). I would talk to ABD (or your TA if go through one) and ask if an alternative activity would be offered for anything you don't feel you can do.

Sayhello

Hey, Calypso, got a question for you. :)

Looking over your report again, I see you ate at both the Witchery Restaurant and the Secret Garden. What's your impression of both? If you could only choose one, which would it be? I'll be dining solo, so "romantic" is not a consideration. :) Atmosphere, menu and service are what I'm curious about. (I must admit, the Lamb Wellington at the Secret Garden looks really scrumptious!)

(From what I've heard, I'm going to have Hanneke & Zoe as my Guides. But that seems to have changed a few times!)

I *loved* re-reading your report! I'm *SO* excited to be going! It's finally starting to feel like it's coming! :)

Sayhello

Just finished reading your trip report and looking at your pictures. :) Thank you so much for sharing! Such amazing pictures!! We are going on our first ABD trip to Italy in 68 days!! Now from reading this Scotland will be next!! Thank you again!

Hey, Calypso, got a question for you. :)

Looking over your report again, I see you ate at both the Witchery Restaurant and the Secret Garden. What's your impression of both? If you could only choose one, which would it be? I'll be dining solo, so "romantic" is not a consideration. :) Atmosphere, menu and service are what I'm curious about. (I must admit, the Lamb Wellington at the Secret Garden looks really scrumptious!)

(From what I've heard, I'm going to have Hanneke & Zoe as my Guides. But that seems to have changed a few times!)

I *loved* re-reading your report! I'm *SO* excited to be going! It's finally starting to feel like it's coming! :)

Sayhello

Thank you :goodvibes The menu is the same at both so don't let that sway you. I had great service at both. I would probably choose The Witchery.

If you get Hanni and Zoe you will be in great hands! They are wonderful!!! Tell them Terrie & Wally send our love and miss them.

I am looking forward to your trip report so I can re-live the trip!

Just finished reading your trip report and looking at your pictures. :) Thank you so much for sharing! Such amazing pictures!! We are going on our first ABD trip to Italy in 68 days!! Now from reading this Scotland will be next!! Thank you again!

You are very welcome. Exciting!!! Italy is also on our list! Be forewarned ABD trips are addicting. Since Scotland last year we have been on the New York ABD, will be doing London/Paris next month, are booked for the Copenhagen pre cruise trip and trying to figure out where we can squeeze in San Francisco next year :lmao:

Oh I have heard that ABD trips are addicting! Haha
I also need to learn more about this "travel hacking"!
Be on the lookout for my trip report to come soon. ;)
We may end up on one together one day.

Calypso,

Just wanted to thank you again for writing this wonderful trip report which inspired me to travel to Scotland this August with my DH and 22 yo DD. However, we decided not to use ABD for this trip because DD gets bus sick and the cost of the third person in the same room makes no sense. Thanks for the tip to join the Friends of the Tatoo. I was able to get great seats on the first day of the sale. We saw a lot of good shows at the Fringe Festival. The Highland areas and Isles were absolutely breathtaking!!!! We even borrowed the day trip to Isle of Lewis from the ABD itinerary. We flew in from Inverness early in the morning and flew to Edinburgh in the evening. Loved the Stone circle and all the old archaeological sites. Too bad ABD has dropped this part of the trip.

I was not familiar with the Outlander series before deciding to travel to Scotland. I normally would not read such a lengthy series but your enthusiasm peaked my interest. After reading all eight books (and looking forward to the ninth) I am now a big Outlander fan. Unfortunately, we didn't run into any Jamie Fraser doubles for my daughter LOL.

I can't wait to visit again someday. Beautiful landscapes and people.

Kathy :thanks: :daisy:

Calypso,

Just wanted to thank you again for writing this wonderful trip report which inspired me to travel to Scotland this August with my DH and 22 yo DD. However, we decided not to use ABD for this trip because DD gets bus sick and the cost of the third person in the same room makes no sense. Thanks for the tip to join the Friends of the Tatoo. I was able to get great seats on the first day of the sale. We saw a lot of good shows at the Fringe Festival. The Highland areas and Isles were absolutely breathtaking!!!! We even borrowed the day trip to Isle of Lewis from the ABD itinerary. We flew in from Inverness early in the morning and flew to Edinburgh in the evening. Loved the Stone circle and all the old archaeological sites. Too bad ABD has dropped this part of the trip.

I was not familiar with the Outlander series before deciding to travel to Scotland. I normally would not read such a lengthy series but your enthusiasm peaked my interest. After reading all eight books (and looking forward to the ninth) I am now a big Outlander fan. Unfortunately, we didn't run into any Jamie Fraser doubles for my daughter LOL.

I can't wait to visit again someday. Beautiful landscapes and people.

Kathy :thanks: :daisy:

Hi Distravel! You have me grinning from ear to ear. You are very welcome and I am glad you enjoyed my trip report. I would happily go back to Scotland over and over if time and money weren't a factor. I would very much like to see the Military Tattoo again and experience the fun of the Fringe Festival.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the Outlander series. I am impatiently waiting for the 9th book too. Our guides Hanneke and Zoe were also inspired to read it during our trip and I understand quite a few guests that take the trip are also fans. Did you know that Outlander is now a series on Starz? The scenery is breathtaking and they are doing a decent adaptation of the books. Of course the books are always better than the screen adaptation but I do love the show nonetheless.

I was stunned to see Isle of Lewis taken off of the itinerary and am so glad we were able to experience that when we did. That is awesome that you did a day trip to get there. Well done!

Hi Distravel! You have me grinning from ear to ear. You are very welcome and I am glad you enjoyed my trip report. I would happily go back to Scotland over and over if time and money weren't a factor. I would very much like to see the Military Tattoo again and experience the fun of the Fringe Festival.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the Outlander series. I am impatiently waiting for the 9th book too. Our guides Hanneke and Zoe were also inspired to read it during our trip and I understand quite a few guests that take the trip are also fans. Did you know that Outlander is now a series on Starz? The scenery is breathtaking and they are doing a decent adaptation of the books. Of course the books are always better than the screen adaptation but I do love the show nonetheless.

I was stunned to see Isle of Lewis taken off of the itinerary and am so glad we were able to experience that when we did. That is awesome that you did a day trip to get there. Well done!

I started watching the Starz Outlander series in January and agree that the scenery is just beautiful. My husband is a Monty Python fan so we visited Doune castle where Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the exterior scenes of Outlander's Castle Leoch were filmed. It was great fun to rewatch those scenes when we got home.

Hope you enjoy your Disney River Cruise next year!

I started watching the Starz Outlander series in January and agree that the scenery is just beautiful. My husband is a Monty Python fan so we visited Doune castle where Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the exterior scenes of Outlander's Castle Leoch were filmed. It was great fun to rewatch those scenes when we got home.

Doune Castle was also used as Westeros in Game of Thrones!

Sayhello

Doune Castle was also used as Westeros in Game of Thrones!

Sayhello

Thanks Distravel! I am sure we will. The year after our Scotland ABD we went back to Scotland as a pre-trip to the London/Paris ABD and did an Outlander tour with Inverness day tours. We did get to see Doune Castle which a month after the series premiered on Starz was pretty cool since we also like Monty Python and GoT. :-)

One of the best trip reports I've read! Thank you so much for posting :lovestruc I know the itinerary has changed quite a bit but this is perhaps the trip I'm most excited about and it's such a joy to experience it vicariously through you! Hello from a fellow Outlander fan (though I haven't read any of the books that were published after Fiery Cross... yet) :flower3: Haggis is absolutely awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have you gone back to Scotland since?

I am glad this was bumped up. I love Scotland. We did our own trip there in 2014 and your report brought back wonderful memories. I long to go back! Pretty sure I left a piece of my soul there. :)

One of the best trip reports I've read! Thank you so much for posting :lovestruc I know the itinerary has changed quite a bit but this is perhaps the trip I'm most excited about and it's such a joy to experience it vicariously through you! Hello from a fellow Outlander fan (though I haven't read any of the books that were published after Fiery Cross... yet) :flower3: Haggis is absolutely awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have you gone back to Scotland since?

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. Yes, we have been back twice more since that trip. I could happily visit Scotland every year if time and money weren't a consideration.

I am glad this was bumped up. I love Scotland. We did our own trip there in 2014 and your report brought back wonderful memories. I long to go back! Pretty sure I left a piece of my soul there. :)

You and me both!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter