Our trip is cancelled :(

Heck with that - Have a sit down -tell them how deeply they have hurt you, and see if it all shakes out, if it doesnt -GO!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advise. The airline tickets are non transferable to anyone else. Once an airline reservation is made and the tix are paid for, they are only for the person named on the reservation. Since 9/11, the restrictions for airline tix are more restrictive and due to security reasons, that's a good thing.

As far as making someone go on a vacation, I don't know how to do that. As you can tell by my signature, it's not as if we've been going to WDW yearly and the family is all " Disney-ed " out. I planned the trip about 6 months ago and back then, everyone was excited. As time went on and activities became a priority, I was the only one still talking about WDW. I guess that happens but not too often, from the feedback I've been receiving. The family and kids will be sorry one day. I'm done planning future vacations.

For real - go by yourself. Im surprised the 12 y/o doesnt want to go???? :confused: Can you maybe talk him/her into joining you on a you-guys-only trip?

If not.....Im serious - GO BY YOURSELF. Youll have fun. :thumbsup2

I think you might just consider letting some time pass and see how your family feels next year.

Maybe if you had a family meeting, you could figure out just what is going on and why everyone suddenly does not want to go.

We try to let each of our GK's choose activities and that seems to work fairly well. Perhaps if the kids join in the process of planning, the trip to Florida can be salvaged.

If i was you, I would persuade them to go back, They would have to change their minds

How about eating the airfare for the rest of them since the tickets can be transferred, and take some friends for a girls only vacation?

I think you might just consider letting some time pass and see how your family feels next year.

Maybe if you had a family meeting, you could figure out just what is going on and why everyone suddenly does not want to go.

We try to let each of our GK's choose activities and that seems to work fairly well. Perhaps if the kids join in the process of planning, the trip to Florida can be salvaged.

I would agree with birkner, have a family meeting and see exactly why they don't want to go and maybe you should just mention that you are considering going anyway with or without them. It seems an awful shame to loose the money you have spent so far on tickets.

My kids are 15, 15 and 12. They tell me they don't want to miss their sports or school activities. Hubby claims we have a lot of expenses due now and would rather eat the money invested. I even took a part time job at a store to save extra money and I saved everything I earned. I'm seriously thinking about going solo. I'm the only one who wants to go to WDW now.

:grouphug: for you. As others have said sounds like something else is going on.
Were they part of the decision to go in the first place :)

I am sorry, but I say go alone of pay to reticket. I had friends cancel for my upcoming trip. I am still going with DS and I found a person to come to help me with DS.

I pray for you and your family.

April

I agree with some of you guys. It's not such a bad idea to grab some of your close girlfriends and have a little fun!

Put it off until a future date. Something feels wrong about a family vacation at the present time. Don't just lose the money.

Can't you make them go....I understand that they don't want to miss school activities or whatever but they knew the time you were planning and that there would be activities beforehand. Why did they agree to go before and suddenly change their minds. I would make them go that's a lot of money to be out of for airfare and such for them to just decide randomly not to go.

You know, sometimes, when people don't want to do something the most, it's when they'll have the most fun. Sometimes when things get so stressful and people get so into thier everyday lives, they don't realize how much a vacation would help things. If you already bought the tickets and have everything booked, I don't see any reason not to say they have to go. I'm sure they'll have a great time. I mean how can you NOT have fun at Disney? You really have to try to have a miserable time every day of your trip!

My sister was forced to go by my parents when we went years ago. She was about 14 and being her usual difficult self. My dad was not having that....
He made her go and.....she had a GREAT time once she'd spent a day and a half moping. The main point was SHE didnt get to decide those sort of major things for herself when she lived under my parents roof. I think it was a good lesson - and showed her that she couldnt whine her way out of things.

Oh - and good luck!!! Man, I feel waful for you.

Before canceling everything--give them time to reconsider!! That is WAY too much money to just say-we changed our minds!!!!!
I just would not let that happen-
I hope you can change their minds!!
Samantha

I am sorry, but I say go alone of pay to reticket. I had friends cancel for my upcoming trip. I am still going with DS and I found a person to come to help me with DS.

I pray for you and your family.

April

:offtopic: Hi tacomaranch...

I agree with the idea of sitting down to have a heart to heart with the whole family. :hug: If that doesn't work then I would definitely try to change the dates to another time that suited everyone. My DD13 has tried to pull this on our family a couple of times but fortunately she IS just 13 and her father and I have the final say. She has always ended up having a great time. At her age, she is always afraid she will miss something socially while away and suddenly become an outsider upon her return. Funny thing... that has yet to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter