Outlander Season 4 (Spoilers)

Neither Roger nor Bree were aware of the danger. I mean, everyone in that tavern knew what was happening, and no one was concerned enough to even raise a brow. I think the door was open the whole time? That is nuts! Jamie beating up Roger jogged some of my terrible memory...poor, poor Roger :sad2: Although, I may as well be going through the story for the first time as I was again surprised by certain revelations :crazy:

slight change to this scene, not that it really matters, where the assault happens on the ship instead of the tavern.
Still, this scene was upsetting! The door was closed while the assault was happening and not one person gets up to help Bree. It reminded me of that Jodie Foster movie. :eek:

slight change to this scene, not that it really matters, where the assault happens on the ship instead of the tavern.
Still, this scene was upsetting! The door was closed while the assault was happening and not one person gets up to help Bree. It reminded me of that Jodie Foster movie. :eek:

I agree. But when it was happening all I could think was how little women's lives were valued at that time. Of course, not everyone was that way but those type that spent their time in the bar every night hanging around the likes of Stephen Bonnet were probably not the best of men.

Caught up on all the episodes so far. Wow, Brianna is really annoying. Roger isn't that much better. I could do without either of them honestly.

The scene at the end of last week's episode was haunting!

The season has gone by so fast, I can't believe the last episode is tonight!

I am still deciding what I think of Brianna and Roger. Definitely a different flavor than previous seasons.

The scene at the end of last week's episode was haunting!

The season has gone by so fast, I can't believe the last episode is tonight!

I am still deciding what I think of Brianna and Roger. Definitely a different flavor than previous seasons.

Just finished the 12th episode. Final scene reminded me of "Last of the Mohicans."

Droughtlander has begun for me as I watched the final episode already. This has been a great season although I wish a little more of the book could have been shown. I thought the writers did a good job with it though and I liked Brianna and Roger. I could understand the characters they were portraying and even saw a bit of my husband and me in them. I was known to throw him out of my parents house after a fight and then got mad when he left, back when we were young and I was hard headed.

Oh well back to reruns and reading the books for the 3rd time through. My husband thinks I am obsessed.

I must be in the minority but I don't think Roger deserved what happened. He and Brianna had a fight and she told him to leave. When we were much younger DH and I had those kinds of fights and one of us would leave BUT we always came back as did Roger. He had no way of knowing what would happen next and that no one would do anything. It is one thing to be a historian, but not being from that time period you can't quite get it. He did go back but a series of misunderstandings occur as they did in the book. Brianna thinks he left for the stones, Lizzie jumped to all kinds of conclusions, Claire doesn't tell Jamie who raped their daughter, and that led to the ending that occurred in the last episode.

I just thought it was kind of funny that the first sight Brianna has of her father is while he is relieving himself behind a building.

I agree, I don't think Roger deserved it. But I'm finding him to be sort of an annoying nuisance that won't go away. He always shows up out of the blue.

Brianna is by the far the most annoying character for me. I get why she's upset but the way she treated Jamie was repulsive. Lizzie is the one who told Jamie that the man is the one who raped Bree. And then Jamie asked her if she was certain, and she said yes.

And then Bree comes storming into Jamie's house and asking where is Roger like Jamie has a damn clue who the hell Roger is.

And why is Bree allowed to square up poor Ian and punch him? Are you kidding me Bree?

And Bree always getting upset when Jamie mentions the word father. She responds in a very condescending and annoying tone, "don't talk to me about my father."

Hey Bree, here is a newsflash. You came through the stones to find Jamie and Claire, so at least show a little respect.

I read some of the Outlander message boards and it seems that people either love Bree or hate her. Same with Sophie Skelton the actress - either they like her as an actress, or they don't. So that's been interesting this season. The jury is still out for me. I haven't read the book series but I have read large excerpts online so I know how the stories go in the books and enjoy reading other peoples' takes on it. I appreciate the challenges they have in trying to bring the story to the screen AND to keep their viewership up enough so that the series can continue. The big question for this week seems to be how are they going to get the rest of the book into one last episode? We shall see today or tonight when we have time to watch! What did you guys think who've already watched it? Did they get it right?

Roger I like and they say that this is "his season" to show what he can do as an actor, and I think he has. It's hard to reconcile his earlier character with who he has become, and I am curious how it will all pan out. (I know because I read the excerpts, lol, but I am interested to see how it goes on the show.) #poorroger

The Jamie/Bree thing was a bit of a head scratcher, I thought. I try to remember they're from different centuries, but some of the things that wer said and done might be a little hard to recover from, but that's just me! I was disappointed in Jamie, although he did some things that angered Claire in the past (the butt-whooping, for instance), he always seemed to understand better once Claire set him straight, even when he had a lot of pressure on him to act a certain way in front of his fellow clansmen. Maybe he'll do the same this time, but saying what he said disappointed me, I won't lie.

I agree, I don't think Roger deserved it. But I'm finding him to be sort of an annoying nuisance that won't go away. He always shows up out of the blue.

Brianna is by the far the most annoying character for me. I get why she's upset but the way she treated Jamie was repulsive. Lizzie is the one who told Jamie that the man is the one who raped Bree. And then Jamie asked her if she was certain, and she said yes.

And then Bree comes storming into Jamie's house and asking where is Roger like Jamie has a damn clue who the hell Roger is.

And why is Bree allowed to square up poor Ian and punch him? Are you kidding me Bree?

And Bree always getting upset when Jamie mentions the word father. She responds in a very condescending and annoying tone, "don't talk to me about my father."

Hey Bree, here is a newsflash. You came through the stones to find Jamie and Claire, so at least show a little respect.

I read some of the Outlander message boards and it seems that people either love Bree or hate her. Same with Sophie Skelton the actress - either they like her as an actress, or they don't. So that's been interesting this season. The jury is still out for me. I haven't read the book series but I have read large excerpts online so I know how the stories go in the books and enjoy reading other peoples' takes on it. I appreciate the challenges they have in trying to bring the story to the screen AND to keep their viewership up enough so that the series can continue. The big question for this week seems to be how are they going to get the rest of the book into one last episode? We shall see today or tonight when we have time to watch! What did you guys think who've already watched it? Did they get it right?

Roger I like and they say that this is "his season" to show what he can do as an actor, and I think he has. It's hard to reconcile his earlier character with who he has become, and I am curious how it will all pan out. (I know because I read the excerpts, lol, but I am interested to see how it goes on the show.) #poorroger

The Jamie/Bree thing was a bit of a head scratcher, I thought. I try to remember they're from different centuries, but some of the things that wer said and done might be a little hard to recover from, but that's just me! I was disappointed in Jamie, although he did some things that angered Claire in the past (the butt-whooping, for instance), he always seemed to understand better once Claire set him straight, even when he had a lot of pressure on him to act a certain way in front of his fellow clansmen. Maybe he'll do the same this time, but saying what he said disappointed me, I won't lie.
]

I get what you are both saying. I guess the books are better at explaining it.

With Bree I see someone who is still trying to come to terms that Frank wasn't her father. She went through the stones to warn her mother but wants to know Jamie. She also had something devastating happen to her. In my mind it all plays into her character. Jamie and Bree both said things in anger to each other. My opinion with this season is that the characters were never able to develop relationships with each other the way they were able to in the books. I have read some opinions that the episodes should have been longer or the season longer to better develop some aspects of the book to the screen and it may have helped.

Pea N Me in answer to your question about the final episode they did an OK job but I liked the books ending better. I had a feeling that I would be a little let down on certain things.

Overall I think it was a good season but 1000+ page books are difficult to translate into such a short season. Things have to be changed or omitted. I personally think they should have made the episodes 90 minutes or added 1 or 2 extra to the season.

I think part of what Jamie said had to be from frustration. He knew he screwed up big time and was embarrassed. But also, I have to defend Jamie a little bit as we know he is a very understanding and honorable man from past actions. People weren't being honest with him, nor giving him the full story. Lizzie basically lied to him when she said she was certain that Roger had been the one that raped Bree. I'm calling that a lie because when you tell someone you're certain about such a serious claim, you had better be certain. Claire also knew that Bonnet was the one that raped Bree. So had she told Jaime that, then none of the rest would have happened.

And Bree has had a bit of a chip on her shoulder in dealing with Jamie. Continuing to go on and on about how awesome of a dad Frank was. Okay? I get it, Frank was good to Bree. But does she need to keep throwing that in Jamie's face? It's not like Jamie abandoned her by choice.

I also think the actor is doing a very, very good job. I've liked Roger from the beginning. I think my frustration with Roger this season is that for such a smart guy, he's making really horrendous decisions this season. Just one after the next after the next. And then is whining about it after the fact. Not sure how much more of that "woe is me" attitude I can take.

I think part of what Jamie said had to be from frustration. He knew he screwed up big time and was embarrassed. But also, I have to defend Jamie a little bit as we know he is a very understanding and honorable man from past actions. People weren't being honest with him, nor giving him the full story. Lizzie basically lied to him when she said she was certain that Roger had been the one that raped Bree. I'm calling that a lie because when you tell someone you're certain about such a serious claim, you had better be certain. Claire also knew that Bonnet was the one that raped Bree. So had she told Jaime that, then none of the rest would have happened.

And Bree has had a bit of a chip on her shoulder in dealing with Jamie. Continuing to go on and on about how awesome of a dad Frank was. Okay? I get it, Frank was good to Bree. But does she need to keep throwing that in Jamie's face? It's not like Jamie abandoned her by choice.

I also think the actor is doing a very, very good job. I've liked Roger from the beginning. I think my frustration with Roger this season is that for such a smart guy, he's making really horrendous decisions this season. Just one after the next after the next. And then is whining about it after the fact. Not sure how much more of that "woe is me" attitude I can take.
I hear you. My thought was that Jamie is the adult, for one, and far more settled than Bree, who is a newcomer to the time period, has already been brutalized, is now pregnant with a baby whose father she is unsure of, lost her love, etc.

Starz is replaying the whole season today.

Currently watching Roger and Bree taking their handfast vows. Aww.

I hear you. My thought was that Jamie is the adult, for one, and far more settled than Bree, who is a newcomer to the time period, has already been brutalized, is now pregnant with a baby whose father she is unsure of, lost her love, etc.

I definitely get all that. I was willing to cut Bree a break but when Jamie tossed the chair to the ground and Bree screamed at Jamie, "NO. You don't get to be angry," in my head that's when I sort of gave up on her. I hate that kind of stuff. Jamie had every right to be angry. Bree was basically turning his world upside down and he didn't necessarily ask for that.

Anyways, I have a question about something that happened. Maybe someone can clarify.

When Roger went through the stone tablets to the 18th century, I believe he had some sort of gemstone that "allowed" him to travel. And then after he escaped from the Mohawks, he made it to another stone tablet and appeared to be looking in his pants for the gemstone but seemed as though he lost it based on his crying and sad expression. But when talking to the priest, he seemed to say that he could have gone back if only he had put his hand on the stone tablet.

Can someone clarify all that?

I definitely get all that. I was willing to cut Bree a break but when Jamie tossed the chair to the ground and Bree screamed at Jamie, "NO. You don't get to be angry," in my head that's when I sort of gave up on her. I hate that kind of stuff. Jamie had every right to be angry. Bree was basically turning his world upside down and he didn't necessarily ask for that.
Eh, I agreed with Bree there, so we just see things differently, which is fine. Opinions are all over the place on this one.

Bree bugs me in the book, I really don't like her. In the show I like her a little more but part of it is they have not shown her to have as much of a fiery temper as I have imagined her to have from reading the books. I think the actress is fine, not outstanding. I think the actor who plays Roger is very good.

Last night's scene was very similar to the trade scene in "Last of the Mohicans." That's the 2nd time I've been reminded of "Last of the Mohicans."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter