• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew between two major US hubs this weekend and didn't see a single person in a mask. Nor were there any additional questions or scrutiny. Maybe in the international terminals, but not for regular domestic travelers. And we had a 3 hour delay at O'Hare that included several gate changes, including moving from terminal 3 to 2 and back again. So....business as usual.
Obviously we're paying close attention to what will happen to our WDW/cruise plans for March, and have gotten 2 communications from Disney about it. But not worrying about normal flying at the moment - my husband and I have 4 round trips between us before our March vacation.

I am sure that I would have evacuated the Diamond Princess with the other Americans when given the chance, but being on a military base in Texas sounds a lot more isolating than being free to roam Japan -- and given the reports from the quarantined passengers, there are scary things (middle of the night ambulances, people freaking out about lack of information) along with the general uncertainty. The upside is being somewhere cheaper to get home from, and speaking the language, but it still sounds like a pretty terrible situation!

On the other hand, I flew from/to RDU/JFK this weekend and saw several people in masks at both airports; one with masks and rubber gloves.

On the other hand, I flew from/to RDU/JFK this weekend and saw several people in masks at both airports; one with masks and rubber gloves.

Were these airport personnel or passengers? I have been wondering whether those doing the security screening at MCO (or other airports) are now wearing masks, I think they do already wear gloves IIRC.

Did you look in hardware or farm and ranch stores? They have them by the paint & sanding equipment. You want n95s if you can find them.
Home Depot and other similar big box stores locally are all sold out of those types of masks normally used for sanding/painting etc. believe it or not, even online. Not believing so many people are doing painting and sanding in the middle of winter here. Even Walmart is sold out.

Were these airport personnel or passengers? I have been wondering whether those doing the security screening at MCO (or other airports) are now wearing masks, I think they do already wear gloves IIRC.
Passengers (although I think you are right that the TSA people always wear gloves - but I assumed it was because they stick their hands in bags, pat people down, etc.).

One was an older couple wearing masks and holding purple-rubber-gloved hands :-).

My son flew out of the international terminal at hartsfield-jackson (Atlanta) this morning and said he only saw one person in a mask. He had a mask, just in case, but did not feel like he had to use it.

Huh. I can see it at JFK, as it's one of the designated airports for US citizens coming from China, but Raleigh kind of surprises me. :confused3 Although.... they have a lot of tech companies there so maybe that does make sense.

BTW, here's the list of 11 airports through which US citizens are being repatriated from China:

John F. Kennedy International in New York, Chicago's O'Hare, San Francisco International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Daniel K. Inouye International in Honolulu, Los Angeles' LAX, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, Washington Dulles, Newark Liberty International, Dallas-Fort Worth and Detroit Metropolitan.

And now the Washington Post is claiming that US government officials insisted on evacuating infected Diamond Princess passengers on the same flight as negative-testing ones against CDC advice.

This is what I meant earlier when I said that a lot of decisions aren't being made by the experts in epidemiology.
I saw this today and it is disheartening. It isnt like the CDC is taking an overly cautious stance. So for politicians to just disregard their educated advice is very unsettling. Does anyone have any sources to follow up what is happening to those evacuated? I havent seen anything since the initial evacuation.

The situation is getting worse and worse by the day beyond S. Korea cases jumping to 204 by night. Iran has now 18 cases and 4 deaths and a town near Milan (Italy) has been put in quarantine after they discovered 6 cases. Among which a man infected his pregnant wife!

The situation is getting worse and worse by the day beyond S. Korea cases jumping to 204 by night. Iran has now 18 cases and 4 deaths and a town near Milan (Italy) has been put in quarantine after they discovered 6 cases. Among which a man infected his pregnant wife!

Source please? I could only find that 60 people were placed under quarantine and 100 tested, not that a whole town was quarantined.

We flew in/out of LGA this last weekend and there were some folks in masks. DH travels very frequently (3-4 flights a week) and I wish he'd wear a mask!

The 39 Dutch guests from the Westerdam have landed in Amsterdam this morning. HAL had chartered a flight to get everyone to Istanbul, Turkey and from there everyone back to their final destination. They got stopped, Istanbul refused to let them land, so they had a stop in Pakistan, without any information what was going on. And then they could continue directly to Amsterdam... The ship will stay in Cambodia till all the crew is tested as well.

Also Ukraine citizens have attacked a bus with people returning from the Wuhan area (who were tested negative twice and are going to be quarantined at a military base)

Unless you are on a flight FROM Asia I wouldn't worry too much. For the majority of the people it's business as usual and won't think about the virus. If they will avoid you and your child, then that's probably because they don't want to catch a cold. Or just being annoyed by young children on a flight, as you never know how well a child can handle a flight.

What you see on boards like this is that people are feeding each other and making each other crazy. Here we are invested, but outside these boards there are so many people who do not think about this news.
Today at lunch, I work for an airline, we didn't talk about the virus as something to fear, but what a great time it is to use your staff tickets (which are always on standby) to travel to Hong Kong, those flights are cheap and empty now! If it wasn't for that Disneyland Hong Kong is closed, I would be on a flight now ;-)

Every day I travel by train to work, I transfer at the airport to catch the bus to the office. The amount of passengers and tourists I see with masks or other protective items, are 1 out of 500, I guess I encounter about 500 people when I walk around. And I guess that's not more or less than before the virus, it's an Asian custom to wear a mask when you are sick and have to travel, so I was used to seeing masks before this.
Exactly thank you. We are going from Manchester, NH through Philly to Pensacola. And it is spring break. And it is cold season. So I am not worried at all about being denied boarding. Just looks from people when the kiddo coughs. Just send me good vibes as I am flying solo with two kids. :)

Source please? I could only find that 60 people were placed under quarantine and 100 tested, not that a whole town was quarantined.
I'm Italian I follow Italian news. On the Facebook page of Regione Lombardia they are having a press conference right now.
The Health chief for the region advised the citizens of the two towns Castiglione D'Adda and Codogno to stay indoors and avoid contacts. Not a quarantine like China obviously. ANSA states that. Also one of the patients was in hospital for two days undiagnosed before they diagnosed him

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221_133841.jpg
    Screenshot_20200221_133841.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I saw this today and it is disheartening. It isnt like the CDC is taking an overly cautious stance. So for politicians to just disregard their educated advice is very unsettling. Does anyone have any sources to follow up what is happening to those evacuated? I havent seen anything since the initial evacuation.
https://www.cbs17.com/news/4-virus-patients-from-cruise-ship-moving-to-washington-state/
A couple more evacuees had tests done in Japan turn + by the time they got here.

I'm Italian I follow Italian news. On the Facebook page of Regione Lombardia they are having a press conference right now.
The Health chief for the region advised the citizens of the two towns Castiglione D'Adda and Codogno to stay indoors and avoid contacts. Not a quarantine like China obviously. ANSA states that. Also one of the patients was in hospital for two days undiagnosed before they diagnosed him
Are these people Italian citizens (or are they from China?) and do they know how they got the virus? My Italian is rusty but it looks like someone had gone to China and returned with the virus. That might mean it's not spreading through the community, but the shutdown suggests it is. (I can't copy the text to put it thru Google translate :o).

Edit: Okay here's a little more. It looks like one person had been in contact with someone who had been to China, and it spread from there. https://news.yahoo.com/six-cases-coronavirus-italys-lombardy-120828518.html

So if this is a community outbreak in Italy (and it looks like it might be), the epidemic has definitely moved off the Asian continent. So I expect an announcement of a global pandemic forthcoming from WHO, and then hopefully a press conference by the CDC and the POTUS as it's about darn time they did that.

Last edited:

What's concerning abou the Italian situation is that atm, the patient they think might have started the infection the one that came back from china, has resulted negative to the virus. So he has either overcome it by never being symptomatic (meaning infectious without symptoms) or he is not the one which it's not good new either.

Last edited:
What's concerning abou the Italian situation is that atm, the patient they think might have started the infection the one that came back from china, has resulted negative to the virus. So he has either overcome it by never being symptomatic (meaning infectious without symptoms) or he is not the one which it's not good new either.
Yes, here's a good English language article that has the details. Seems like a significant local outbreak: https://www.ansa.it/english/newswir...y-4_4d8c8975-04ba-422d-976a-e397861f3792.html
BTW, I love Italy, I went two years ago and plan to go back :love:

And this article reminds me that, worldwide, they have got to really think hard about shutting down Mardi-gras and Carnival type pre-Lenten festivities. That is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter