packing film

3kidsdisney

Hi, I am planning my disney trip and heard different rumors abour film getting ruined with the new x-ray checking of luggage and was wondering if anyone has any tips. should i pack it in my luggage or carry it on??? i heard that I should just buy and develop all my film in florida. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. Ann

I am shipping to my hotel via UPS because they do not xray their packages. You can also take the film out of the containers and put it in a clear zip lock bag to carry through and have it manually checked instead of running it through the machines.

www.travelsmith.com

Travelsmith sells X-ray Film Bags which are specially lined to protect film. Your local camera store probably sells something similar. I'd still pack the film in my carry-on, though, just in case the bag raises any red flags.

I've ordered from Travelsmith several times and have always been pleased with the service and the products.

I just flew to Phoenix AZ and back to Atlanta, and my film was in my backpack, and it wasnt damaged. Dont know if this applies to everywhere and other xray machines, but just wanted to let you know it was fine.

thanks so much for the kodak website, it had alot of get info about traveling with film. Ann

Definetly pack it in your carry-on in a zip-lock bag so you can take it out through the x-ray machines. Checked luggage goes through new more powerful x-ray machines and some gets picked out to go through even more powerful machines. This happend to us. They warned us ahead of time though that random checking would send certain bags through more powerful machines and would absolutely damage film, we were told.

A special film bag may help, but I'd hate to take chances. I'd have them manually check it.

A new philosophy nowadays is not to carry film with you but instead buy it at your destination and have it developed before flying home.\

Sometimes the security agents want to argue with you and when the dust settles, you missed your plane.

If you must carry film, taking the rolls or cartridges out of the box and putting the bare cartridges in a transparent plastic bag is best.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

in 40+ trips during the last several years we have never taken any precautions with our film. We have never had a problem..Based on our experience, I think the concern is misplaced...JMHO:D

There have been more and more XRay machines installed recently which are stronger and more harmful to film. The speed of film you use is also a factor, some are impacted more than others. Also, depending on the machine and film speed, the fogging may be subtle enough that film may be impacted, but the connection may not be made between that and the X-ray machines. We traveled for years with film in our checked luggage, and it was never a problem. Now we stick it in our carry-on. It's not a big deal for us, and we figure why risk ruining the pictures? But I guess if someone did ruin their pictures, it would be a good excuse for a return trip, so that's not so bad!

When we traveled in March, we had our film packed in our checked bags. Too late, we saw the signs that said new, higher strenght Xrays were in use that could ruin film. We were lucky though and all our film came thru OK (400 ASA).
I have read a number of postings from people advising against using those lead lined bags. According to what I've read, the bags show up as a blob in the xray. So the screeners up the strength of the xray and/or send it thru the machine again and may open your bag to see what you are trying to hide.

ByJiminy,
Very interesting site! Thanks for the link!:D

Does anyone know if camcorder film is affected the same way as camera film? If so, I'll plastic baggie that too. :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter