• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Packing for Ireland

clarabelle

<font color=green>Pandas don't seem to have much o
I am thinking of doing some shopping -while I can still find things with long sleeves on clearance.
We are going June 17th. So -did you need long sleeves?
Was there anything you didn't bring that you wished you had?
Thanks!!!

When we went in May of last year (May 15-25), we pretty much wore jeans and long sleeve shirts during the day and added a light sweater or jacket for the evening hours. One day in Dublin and another in Killarney, we actually wore short sleeve t-shirts for the weather was absolutely beautiful.

For the Cliffs of Moher, we did wear gloves and hats - mainly due to the wind and we did wear our jackets on the Kenmare Eco Cruise. I did pack a travel umbrella for DH & I and that came in handy a few days as well.

I'm not sure what the weather will be like in June, if anything - it'll be a little warmer I would think.

I can't think of anything I missed packing - don't worry about bringing a blow dryer, all of the hotel rooms have one, the castle even had an outlet by the desk in our room that was 110v! Laundry is hard to come by - none of the hotels have a self serve laundry room and sending it out costs an arm and leg. Pack extra undies!! Jacket wise, DH wore an unlined windbreaker, I wore a lightly lined raincoat and they were perfect for the Irish weather.

You will have a marvelous time - I think about that trip almost everyday!

Thanks -I was hoping you would chip in!!

I am so excited!

Thanks -I was hoping you would chip in!!

I am so excited!

Thanks for starting this thread clarabelle ... we'll be looking for input too!

For those that have traveled to Ireland with AbD before, can you remember if the ATMs were close to the hotels? Should we get the guide gratuity before we get to the castle?

For Viva Italia we took some Euros with us and once in Italy we didn't have any problems finding ATMs. I imagine it's the same in Ireland but just want to make sure.

Thanks for starting this thread clarabelle ... we'll be looking for input too!

For those that have traveled to Ireland with AbD before, can you remember if the ATMs were close to the hotels? Should we get the guide gratuity before we get to the castle?

For Viva Italia we took some Euros with us and once in Italy we didn't have any problems finding ATMs. I imagine it's the same in Ireland but just want to make sure.

You won't have any trouble finding an ATM in Dublin or Killarney - it fact there is an ATM right at the entrance of the the Westin and in Killarney, it's about 1/2 block from the Plaza Hotel. I would definitely get any cash you need before you get to the castle!

I've never been to Ireland, but judging by the temps and weather we have read about - and the fact that we are Floridians, we are planning on light layers. Probably jeans or light pants every day. With a short sleeve and/or long sleeve shirt and light jacket that we could take off if it warms up. And definitely heavier things for the cruise and days spent along the coast. I really need to get some clothes shopping done too! My other dilemma is what kind of bag to carry. I was thinking of getting a Vera Bradley backpack with a matching hipster - with the option of leaving the backpack in the room if I didn't need to carry jackets, umbrellas, and other odds and ends.

My other dilemma is what kind of bag to carry. I was thinking of getting a Vera Bradley backpack with a matching hipster - with the option of leaving the backpack in the room if I didn't need to carry jackets, umbrellas, and other odds and ends.

FYI-You and each of your traveling companions will be getting an Adventures by Disney backpack about 45-30 days from tour start date.

We didn't get a backpack for our adventure - we got one of those over the shoulder cloth bags, the ones you can carry your laptop in. So, just to be safe, I wouldn't count on a backpack....

What about dinner? Did you ever feel like you needed to dress for dinner?
:)

Nope - I did wear khaki pants and a nice sweater for the adults dinner @ Mentons (most people wore jeans or khakis) and the Farewell Dinner (one guy wore a suit, his gal a dress) but that's about it. Everyone was pretty laid back and casual as were all the places we dined...

Besides, you can only bring one suitcase (as in one checked bag per person) and there is only so much you can pack. By the way, I did find out way ABD asks that you only have one checked bag per person (I know this has been a subject of discontent for some) - there is only so much space for luggage on your tour bus. We had a full bus (40 people & 4 guides) and by the time you loaded 40 suitcases, plus 40 + carry-on bags and such, we just barely made it...

We didn't get a backpack for our adventure - we got one of those over the shoulder cloth bags, the ones you can carry your laptop in. So, just to be safe, I wouldn't count on a backpack....

It should be backpacks for everyone this year. They're a nice blue this time. They seem to be a little smaller/lighter than ones sent in past years, but they're a nice size for toting things along for day trips. And they're infinitely more practical than those messenger bags, whatever their size. :)

Dotti

Hey Poppins, what about feet? Being a Floridian (as a pp has mentioned) I am very attached to my flip-flops and find them 100x more comfy than any closed shoe, even sneakers. I'm not so worried about cold tootsies as I am about injured tootsies. Are any of the excursions going to put my exposed toes in danger?

Hey Poppins, what about feet? Being a Floridian (as a pp has mentioned) I am very attached to my flip-flops and find them 100x more comfy than any closed shoe, even sneakers. I'm not so worried about cold tootsies as I am about injured tootsies. Are any of the excursions going to put my exposed toes in danger?

I know what you mean, living in South FL myself....DH and I did leave behind the flip flops and even my Merrell sandals for tennis shoes. There was lots and lots of walking involved (which I can't do in flip flops) and even if you can stand cold tootsies, can you stand cold and wet tootsies from the rain in flip flops?? I don't recall seeing anyone in flip flops or even sandals in our group, certainly none of the locals, but then again, it was still fairly chilly when we went in May. With the exception of the hike in the rain to the waterfall in Killarney National Park and the Saturday we went to the Cliffs and the farm (I strongly advise to wear closed shoes when you go to the farm!!), you might be okay. There are lots of uneven surfaces, cobblestone streets, rock and dirt paths, that would have made me uncomfortable in flops; it really just depends on you.

I know what you mean, living in South FL myself....DH and I did leave behind the flip flops and even my Merrell sandals for tennis shoes. There was lots and lots of walking involved (which I can't do in flip flops) and even if you can stand cold tootsies, can you stand cold and wet tootsies from the rain in flip flops?? I don't recall seeing anyone in flip flops or even sandals in our group, certainly none of the locals, but then again, it was still fairly chilly when we went in May. With the exception of the hike in the rain to the waterfall in Killarney National Park and the Saturday we went to the Cliffs and the farm (I strongly advise to wear closed shoes when you go to the farm!!), you might be okay. There are lots of uneven surfaces, cobblestone streets, rock and dirt paths, that would have made me uncomfortable in flops; it really just depends on you.

Useful info, just what I was looking for! Thank you so much! :goodvibes

When you were hiking or traveling with the group does AbD provide ponchos during the light rain showers?

Ok, next question(s). How big can your carry on be? We are 8 weeks out and I'm already thinking about how much I can or can't take. :rolleyes:

To that end, how "well-stocked" are the hotel bathrooms? Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel at each? It would be most helpful to not have to pack that stuff, since I'm not too picky.

Thanks!

DH carried a small rolling suitcase (that contained a change of clothes for each of us in case our luggage got lost or delayed!), I carried a large LL Bean tote (that carried our coats, books and cameras) and a backpack (which I used as a purse for the entire trip). While on the tour, we carried the tote and back pack with us on the bus and stowed the roller with our other luggage underneath the bus.

There are plenty of Molton Brown Spa tolietries at all three of the hotels (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion) - I brought back a large ziploc bag full of them! - so you will have plenty. There are also blowdryers, irons and ironing boards in all of the rooms.

Pack extra undies! There are no self serve laundromats in any of the hotels (not that you want to spend time doing laundry while on vaca!!!:goodvibes)

I SOOOOOO wish we were going back - I can't wait to hear about your trip experience...I break out my scrapbooks weekly (2 LARGE ones) to re-live the trip - I need to work on the video next!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter