Parents of the Class of 2019

So my daughter’s BFF has been studying abroad in Florence this semester. My daughter decided to take off of work the Saturday before thanksgiving and fly to Rome where her friend will be. They’ll take the train back to Florence and then my daughter will take the train back to Rome on Wednesday night to fly back home. She wants to be here for thanksgiving since she hasn’t seen dd18 since the second week of august. She definitely is one to over schedule her life.

Did the trip work out?

DD's Thanksgiving break was a mix of some fun and socializing but also time spent sitting at grandparents as my dad was in his last days (passed on Thanksgiving) and then funeral planning. She had to come back for the funeral the Tuesday after. It was the week before finals but it worked out for her as her only class ended up being a video available online.

Now another semester is done for DD. Haven't heard much from her but she shared a screenshot of her final grades. Next week her theatre production is livestreaming to elementary schools. Freshman year they actually travelled to the schools, sad they aren't doing that this year. Probably won't see her until Christmas Eve. Over New Year's Eve she has a big road trip planned. I hope nothing goes wrong with that. That reminds me I should look for the essential oils I used to put on the kids for carsickness!

Internship search continues, had one interview but not sure she wants to be at a camp again, and submitted her resume to a place that might be fantastic and was pretty enthusiastic in their emails. Hoping they decide sooner rather than later, she does have more ideas but at this stage she's mostly trying one at a time.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, @bjscheel. That's so hard.

DS just got home an hour ago for Christmas break. His last final was yesterday and he originally told me he was planning to stay in his apartment till closer to Christmas but changed his mind and came home (yay!) Still not sure if he's going to stay here the whole time or go back and forth. He's still waiting for grades to be finalized but feels like he had a good semester and did well on the exams. Hopefully he's right.

So sorry about your dad, it’s such a hard time of year too (mine passed 4 days before Christmas). My daughter loved her trip, said Florence was amazing, the food out of this world, with the 24+ hours of travel on trains and planes. Her exams are next week and she comes home on the 16th. Her break goes until February. Her boyfriend is taking her to Punta Cana in January and I’m sure she’ll work at some PT places.

Did the trip work out?

DD's Thanksgiving break was a mix of some fun and socializing but also time spent sitting at grandparents as my dad was in his last days (passed on Thanksgiving) and then funeral planning. She had to come back for the funeral the Tuesday after. It was the week before finals but it worked out for her as her only class ended up being a video available online.

Now another semester is done for DD. Haven't heard much from her but she shared a screenshot of her final grades. Next week her theatre production is livestreaming to elementary schools. Freshman year they actually travelled to the schools, sad they aren't doing that this year. Probably won't see her until Christmas Eve. Over New Year's Eve she has a big road trip planned. I hope nothing goes wrong with that. That reminds me I should look for the essential oils I used to put on the kids for carsickness!

Internship search continues, had one interview but not sure she wants to be at a camp again, and submitted her resume to a place that might be fantastic and was pretty enthusiastic in their emails. Hoping they decide sooner rather than later, she does have more ideas but at this stage she's mostly trying one at a time.
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. :grouphug:

I'm also glad my DD is home for break. We have been having fun AND she has been cooking meals, which is a good thing because (a) I am crazy busy at work, and (b) she is a better cook than I am! She flew home on the 11th and flies back to school on Jan 1st--so crazy to me, but Winter Quarter starts in Jan 3rd, break is only 3 weeks. It will fly by.

Our big gift to each other this year is an Adventures By Disney trip (the So Cal/Disneyland Escape) over spring break. It is our first one and a huge splurge for us. I really hope it does not get cancelled. I've seen others post that their Jan and Feb ABDs for this same Escape have been cancelled. All we can do is wait at this point.

DD was accepted to go to her university's study abroad in Berlin for Spring quarter, but she is having second thoughts. She was supposed to go last summer but it was COVID-cancelled. If she goes in spring quarter she has to take an intensive German language class in Winter quarter. She does not really need the German class, other than to go to this program (it was not required to go in the summer). Decisions, decisions. Pros and cons. She swings by my home office door at least once a day with a run down of pros and cons. One of my biggest regrets was deciding I was too poor to financially swing it and not going to a summer abroad program in Austria with all of my friends when I was in law school. I am firmly not allowing my regret to color her decision. Today she popped in and said "hey, maybe we could just go on a three week trip to Europe together this summer. I'd have more fun traveling with you anyway." That was really sweet and warmed my heart. Love that girl!

Bj, so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. Hugs.

Mine finished her finals this last weekend, and we are on a quick trip to celebrate the end of her Junior year. She stayed home with virtual learning, as the virus numbers were not good at the university, even though classes were open this semester. It was a good call, as in the last week, gun violence with five students robbed and two killed, car jacking too. Unfortunately, crime was also had at home, when our own car was broken into the morning we were leaving for this mini trip. I don’t see her doing in person in the Spring, yet. And crime on the trains has increased too, so we are worried about her safety to and from, and on campus. I think as much as she enjoyed her time in the dorms, after she was tossed out for the virus shutdown her freshman year, she has said she doesn’t think it’s a good idea to stay in the area now.

Hope all have a happy holiday with your family and friends.

Bj, so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. Hugs.

Mine finished her finals this last weekend, and we are on a quick trip to celebrate the end of her Junior year. She stayed home with virtual learning, as the virus numbers were not good at the university, even though classes were open this semester. It was a good call, as in the last week, gun violence with five students robbed and two killed, car jacking too. Unfortunately, crime was also had at home, when our own car was broken into the morning we were leaving for this mini trip. I don’t see her doing in person in the Spring, yet. And crime on the trains has increased too, so we are worried about her safety to and from, and on campus. I think as much as she enjoyed her time in the dorms, after she was tossed out for the virus shutdown her freshman year, she has said she doesn’t think it’s a good idea to stay in the area now.

Hope all have a happy holiday with your family and friends.
Oh my goodness. That’s a lot. Hope you have a great trip.

DD got an internship for summer! After that she will be all done with college! It seems to be perfect for her and we love the location because it is 7 miles away from her sister. DD's best friend from college also has one in the area so they plan to find a short term rental near sister.

She'd been pretty nervous about finding one, and feeling unsettled since deciding to graduate early and breaking up with 3 year boyfriend in the last couple months, not having any idea where she would land for summer and beyond. I think there's a chance the internship could turn permanent so if she likes it, that would be fantastic. We're all relieved and excited to know the next step especially since it's exactly what she wanted!

Dd (currently at an AI in DR with her boyfriend for 10 days), decided on Boston university for her DPT program and will start in May 2 days after graduation. They gave her enough merit to bring it down to UDels program, and she’s dying to live in a city (NYU, GWU and northeastern were her other urban options). She also got into a commutable university, drove there, and cried. Can’t compare Boston with Newark NJ, that’s for sure! UDel is #1, BU #20, but she really didn’t want to stay in Delaware with her close friends who will be partying up next year while she’s going to be busy with her program. Her boyfriend is going to school in Florida, so a flight would be necessary anyway.

It’s good to read over your updates. Getting these young adults grown and flown is a process. My DD had to drop a class spring of 2021. She had to miss some practicum experiences due to Covid. This will lengthen her education by a semester. But that’s ok. Many don’t get though in four years anyway. The good news is she’s in a much better place now. Dropping that class along with the isolation during the worst of the shut downs affected her mental health badly. She’s much better now. In an off campus house with her besties and working at the mall. Enjoying her classes too.

DS turns 21 next week! We offered different days for us to come down and eat a meal with him. He chose Sunday and a steak.

We brought him a array of snacks/foods. Extra ears buds from home.

Brought a Couple chocolates for Valentine’s Day. And then a small box with weird favorite candies and scratch offs. Cards form G-MA and my sister. So I say- a good day.

DS turns 21 next week! We offered different days for us to come down and eat a meal with him. He chose Sunday and a steak.

We brought him a array of snacks/foods. Extra ears buds from home.

Brought a Couple chocolates for Valentine’s Day. And then a small box with weird favorite candies and scratch offs. Cards form G-MA and my sister. So I say- a good day.
Sounds great! Happy birthday to him. It's fun to get to visit. DD is in a play next weekend so we'll see her then. I'm happy she ended up at a place where it's not hard to run down for things like this. I sent down a card with a couple gifts cards in it for Valentine's. Scratch offs will be a good idea when she's 21.

Heard from her a few times this weekend- there's a lot going on in her life and she's giving us ALL the updates. Mostly good stuff so it's fun. A week ago she was kind of down. And it's been hectic with rehearsals and a flower shop job leading up to Valentines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter