Park on day of arrival?

taraaplin

Mouseketeer
Hello all. This will be our fourth trip to Disney. This time around my kids will be older! 15, 12, and 7. We will be down this time Monday, July 2nd - 9th. I have chosen to do 5 Park days. We never do one day we leave. I am debating if we should do a park day of arrival. Our flights gets in Orlando at 825. Do you suggest we do a park on arrival day and two “off park” days during the week. Or not do a park day of arrival and have only one off day. I just don’t know!

That's a personal decision. I wouldn't do any "off park" days, except maybe departure day. So my vote would be to go on arrival day by adding a 6th or 7th day.

Adding an extra day shouldn’t cost much, then you wouldn’t hAve to sacrifice a day later in the week. Or, just hang out on arrival day. Our arrival day tradition is to do a Chef Mickeys meal, go food shopping and hang out at resort or maybe DS. Do whatever you’re family will want to do. We like Chef Mickeys on arrival day because it’s the perfect introduction to a Disney vacation and the kids get to see the mouse right away.

I'd go to a park on arrival day.

Hello all. This will be our fourth trip to Disney. This time around my kids will be older! 15, 12, and 7. We will be down this time Monday, July 2nd - 9th. I have chosen to do 5 Park days. We never do one day we leave. I am debating if we should do a park day of arrival. Our flights gets in Orlando at 825. Do you suggest we do a park on arrival day and two “off park” days during the week. Or not do a park day of arrival and have only one off day. I just don’t know!

I don’t know it’s such a personal choice. Our girls are 9 and 11 and as long as we get to the world before noon- we goto the park. If we stay longer than 5 days we will work a rest day in but it really depends on how you roll as a family. If you do midday park breaks and don’t feel like you’re constantly running when you’re at Disney you may be bored doing a rest day-
we are runners at Disney. If I was arriving MCO that early we’d do a park and if we got tired we’d do a midday break and go back or call it a day. The incremental cost of that extra days ticket is small compared to the cost on days 1,2 and 3.

We go to the park the day we arrive. Given that the additional cost for a day is minimal past 4 days, we just add on the ticket and go :)

My philosophy is:
  1. Time in the parks is special
  2. I'm already paying for a room for the night.
  3. It's Disney!
So far, no regrets at either WDW or DLR. Even when the first day arrival is at 7pm :)

I've never gone to the park on arrival day. We usually unpack, swim, eat, explore, watch the movie under the stars, and get to bed early for the following park day!

I'm wondering now if I should change it up this year!

Every trip we do Chef Mickey’s on arrival day as well as Disney Springs, pool, resort time. We also take a round trip on the Monorail. This upcoming trip we are doing MK on arrival day. Only because we got a comp ticket that will expire if we don’t use it. It will be a first for us! As far as rest days, we can rest when we get home. I can’t justify being at WDW and not going to a park.

I'm all for hitting the park on arrival day. OP, you're gonna be there early enough that it would just be like sleeping in and getting a bit of a late start, but still economical that you'd get a full day use out of the ticket. If you can afford it, get tickets for everyday except the last one (unless you're flying out really late, then get it). Who knows what the weather might do, or who might want to go back and do a missed ride or whatnot.

Depends on when you left for the airport? How long was your flight? How much sleep you got?

Sorry I have to add that we have to be at the airport at 3 am. So we will be up at 145 am. That’s the main reason I was debating a park day. Does that change anyone’s opinion? If not I think I will add an additional park day!

Sorry I have to add that we have to be at the airport at 3 am. So we will be up at 145 am. That’s the main reason I was debating a park day. Does that change anyone’s opinion? If not I think I will add an additional park day!
The day by day cost at that point for tickets is so minimal that I probably would still buy the tickets and make FPs for that day. If only because you're going to need something to do until your room is ready. Or, if you spend time during the day by the pool, I'd think you'll be re-energized for dinner and the evening to do a park then.

Add the day!

Your room will likely not be ready when you arrive anyways so hit the ground running, go to a park and head back to the resort around dinner for an early night.

In the past we did not do a park on arrival day because we like to swim and get to bed early. But this year we arrived in Orlando at 9am so we did a few hours at MK with 3 fastpasses and by then our room was ready so we went there and got settled and swam. It was great and I think we might do it on future trips as well. We love to swim so I always want pool time on the first day too.

I think you will have some adrenaline going and should really think about doing it. Where are you staying?

For my upcoming May trip we arrive around 1pm and we opted to do a half a park day. Our plan/hope is to be in Epcot by 4pm (staying Dolphin). We have FP for three rides before our 7pm dinner ADR at La Hacienda, then Illuminations and bed! We only did a park day on departure day one time, it was not great. We were too focused on getting to the airport so really didn't enjoy it. Arrival day we are always pumped and ready to get in a park. Last trip our flight was delayed but we were still able to use our FP at HS from 6- park closing and then it was eve emh that year so we stayed waaaaayyy late but it was worth it!

We always go to a park on arrival day and we normally get in early afternoon and in a park by 3:00ish. I love having a few hours on arrival day to hit a park and really get my vacation going. I also never take a full rest day, we do 9 nights with 10 day tickets. So for me, 2 days off with a 5 day ticket is not something I would ever consider, but I guess that really depends on what your plans are for those days. We generally do 1 offsite attraction each trip and even on those days, we'll do a Disney park in the evening/night. And although I like to plan for an afternoon or two of pool time during our vacation, I don't think I could ever do a full day of that. The call of the parks would be too much for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter