• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Pictures of VMK back in BETA Testing/Beta

Awe I love seeing VMK's past! It's so cool. Thanks for the picture sharing.

Ah! The memories!

Unfortunately, I deleted most of my VMK pictures, but I have 1 left! LOL

I do have a photographic memory though, so i can TELL you about stuff LOL.

•Well, Frontierland had a picture of wagons and stuff, but no places, just like tomorrowland was. The only store was the golden horseshoe.
• There were no HOST_ only VMK_
• (I'm not sure on this one, don't remember that well) There weren't any Staff game rooms, only their rooms where you can hang out in
• Teleportation magic was REALLY rare and everyone was crazy for it
• Space suits and sorcerer hats were 'IN' and REALLY rare
• (I don't remember this either, correct me if I'm wrong..)There were no best guest/game/quest/ rooms
•The popular list never had Mickey heads, room passes, tickets, and all the features you have now

It's a picture of VMK Staff in their old uniform (I know, this has been posted..) and playing a Mix. I believe it's VMK_Red. Heehee, who's that pretty girl in the sorcerer hat?

vmkredzs1.png

You know, now that I think about it, I wish they would release those clothes since they don't use them anymore! UGH!

Oh, and how was the room cram possible if you can only have 15 players in a room? I never got that...
I remember the mad scramble for Teleportation and Space Suits... Since nobody really knew what was going on with the suits and sorcerer hats, the went away before many people bought them. I had nowhere near enough credits for them, I was still figuring things out. xD

Does anyone have a picture of the second homepage? I forgot what it looked like...

dude i remember when i first got it said for months that adventureland was on its way
and we had hardly anything but were all happy

It was frontierland that said that. Adventureland was always there, but your main point is a good one :)

I've always wondered how the use of the word "taken" came about on this site. Anybody know or remember when they first started seeing it?
It's always been there, the people who talk about a takenless beta must think it was a lot better than it was. Of course, it was really uncommon at that time.

It's always been there, the people who talk about a takenless beta must think it was a lot better than it was. Of course, it was really uncommon at that time.

It was uncommon, but not unheard of... that's all i'm saying :D
However, there was no real "Bay.be" issue that I can recall which i guess is a plus... there were fewer scammers mostly because there wasn't really anything to scam for... it didn't make sense to risk being banned just so you wouldn't have to pay for your own hippo rug.

I remember during the beta days, credits were much more scarce then than they are now. People who could afford the Yellow Space Suit when it went on sale for 2000 credits the first time were considered rich. I worked all day to try and save up 500 credits for a Sorcerer Mickey Hat that same day...

The day beta ended, if I remember correctly, they ran up all the buyable's prices and a lot of people were outraged that, for instace, the gray crate that once cost 25 credits now cost 50.

The VMK homepage was merely a gateway into VMK (remember the days without VMKPal? :eek: ) and much like today, provided no useful information.
There never used to be a community calendar or even any HOST games at all. There never used to be a newsletter and I think that's why beta is so rare today, we had no idea the items would go out of stores, cause no one from VMK staff really talked to us that much.

Speaking of VMK staff, I'll always remember the first staff member I ever met. It was VMK_Mocha and if i remember correctly, I met her in the Tiki Room Public area in Adventureland (that was also when public areas were mostly "safe", meaning free from annoying newbies asking you to be their duh.duh, boyfriend, or if they could have some of your items for free).

there were just less players then. I bet whatever the percentage of people doing it now, was the same then. There just werent so many players so it wasnt so easy to run into.

there were just less players then. I bet whatever the percentage of people doing it now, was the same then. There just werent so many players so it wasnt so easy to run into.

Hmm... very true, well said Aengus :thumbsup2

I have a few to add. :D

This first one is from the infamous "room cram" party in MrGenie. VMK has warned never to do this again so I'm only showing you the picture, I will give no instructions on how it was accomplished. Do you see yourself? *I'm on the right side down front behind Prepster in the green shirt and green flips wearing black ears. You can only see the side of my face* You can see Genie just barely peeking in the doorway in a Red shirt. One last thing...there are at least TWO VMK Staffers in this picture...before the green ears. Can you spot them? :D
727116616_4a477411dc_o.jpg

I'm there! I'm the person in the Red VMK shirt with the think eyebrows at the enterance. :)

I also see Shiregirl, Ms.Behave, and several of my old friends.

I was there sometime... But I was never in when people took pictures. xD

wow those pics are so awesome. and i do miss discovery island and the spell room... i miss the free magic :( i really wish i could have been with vmk when it first opened, does anyone know what year that was? :confused3

arg, i wish i could have joined you guys in the room craming lol

~ Pirateears
*helper of the guests. want to be staff someday (my ultimate dream!:thumbsup2 )

I wonder what the first day was like.. and the first actual person to join. ( Not Staff or yavn, or any creater. An actual player..

yea that would be so awesome to be the first actual character to walk through vmk!

I remember that the person who was guest 1,000,000 was a DISer LOL. Can't remember who it was tho... maybe he will step forward, he tried to keep it guest1000000 but they wouldnt help him LOL

I know that there were a few people who found out about VMK from the Disboards back in the beta days, but those Day Oners that DIDN'T find out about it from the Disboards, how did you find out about it? It's a shame I missed the announcement.

Of course, back when VMK started, I wasn't Disney obsessed like I am now.

wish i could of had a day one badge, wish i knew about vmk opening pirate:

I know that there were a few people who found out about VMK from the Disboards back in the beta days, but those Day Oners that DIDN'T find out about it from the Disboards, how did you find out about it? It's a shame I missed the announcement.

Of course, back when VMK started, I wasn't Disney obsessed like I am now.
I found out from an advertisement in one of my sister's old Disney Adventures magazines. I would check every day to see when it opened... I think I ended up joining May 27, 2005. I'm not quite sure, though.

These pictures aren't from beta but like a week after, but the memories from the plaza are priceless.... All the good times from hanging out in the plaza, I miss that... nobody wants to go there anymore LOL

Picture7.jpg

VMK5.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter