• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Pigeon Forge/Dollywood recommendations?

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
We are skipping Disney next year to let our DVC points build back up and going to Dollywood/Pigeon Forge instead. There are SOOOOOOOOO many hotel choices. Any recommendations of where to stay and what to do? We wouldn't be opposed to renting cabin either as we will be traveling with another couple.

We have enjoyed the margaritaville resorts. They have always been of like Disney quality. the last time we did Dollywood however we stayed at the Inn at Christmas Place which was great as our kids were young and they liked it, Bavarian style, a bit charming.

I was not a fan of DreamMore, but the perks may make it worth it for you. It was just okay when I stayed there.

Margaritaville was nice. I had a suite overlooking the dancing fountain. Nice to be walking distance to restaurants, bars, shooting, etc.

TBH, we rent a cabin most of the time, but that can be a hit or miss. We are about 80% hit. :)

Also, you may enjoy Gatlinburg better as a couples trip. Lots of shops, restaurants, moonshine/wine tasting, etc. All walkable and quick drive to DW and PF. I've stayed in probably 75% of the hotels there. They vary widely, glad to answer any questions of any specific ones you might have.

We stayed at Christmas Inn and dreamMore. We had a family suite at both. Both were fine - not Disney level, but I would stay again at either.

Hilton garden inn, Marriott courtyard are my two go tos in pigeon forge when we go. Also what time of year are you planning to go because there are some things that vary depending upon the season.

We went there back during Covid, and I saw that they have a Titanic thing. We were unable to schedule to get in, but last year we did do the one in Branson. I would assume they are similar (of course the artifacts would have to be different considering it is two different locations). I really enjoyed that. It was my fav thing we did in Branson.

Also, we did some kind of "crime museum" in Pigeon Forge. I really enjoyed that too. They had some really cool artifacts and stuff. If you are into true crime etc, it is a really fun thing to do. (the museum, not actually committing crimes)

We were just there two weeks ago on our trip from Alabama to Wisconsin. We stayed at the SpringHill Suites - they were perfectly fine. Rooms were quite large and I appreciated that they had 2 washers and 2 dryers.

DreamMore has some really nice perks, park-wise. I’ll also agree with Eksmama that cabins are hit or miss. In general I think they’re better for those who have larger groups or are looking for a “retreat” away from the over tourism.

On a practical matter, be prepared for heavy traffic and a 9.75% sales tax (and 6.75% on groceries). I have family visiting now and what they remember as a cheap, quirky tourist area has turned into a much more expensive trip.

We stayed in a beautiful cabin in Gatlinburg. It was called City Lights and is bookable through Heaven’s Cabins. It’s right above the strip, so while it’s on the mountain, it’s not far from anything. The only downfall is that it’s in Gatlinburg and not Pigeon Forge near Dollywood. We focused our time on the national park, so staying in Gatlinburg was ideal for us, but the traffic can be brutal between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, so keep that in mind.

We rented an Airbnb over spring break with my brother's family in the area. One of our favorite attractions was the Titanic Museum. Even my 8-year-old nephew loved it and was engaged the whole way through. It is a self-guided tour.

Also, you may enjoy Gatlinburg better as a couples trip. Lots of shops, restaurants, moonshine/wine tasting, etc. All walkable and quick drive to DW and PF. I've stayed in probably 75% of the hotels there. They vary widely, glad to answer any questions of any specific ones you might have.
Exactly, I am not a PF fan at all. Have you stayed in Treehouse Grove? They are the ones designed by Pete Nelson. We thought about it but they are kind of pricey and unless I missed something all one Bathroom. Have you stayed in Old Gatlinburg Inn or Leconte Motor Lodge?

Last edited:
We are ALL about the cheese tourist stuff. We would like to do the mountain coaster and Anakeesta.
Then definitely Gburg over PF. Someone asked about the LeConte Motor Lodge and Gatlinburg Inn. It's been 30 years or more on the lodge, but the inn is quirky and decent. Although it reminds me of a horror movie a bit lol.

Keep in mind, hotels aren't always as nice as you'd expect here. Kind of like Myrtle Beach in the mountains. Decent ones are the parkway Hampton, Clarion, Bearskin (a bit off the pkwy), Hilton Garden Inn (off parkway). Zoder's always looked cute to me, but never stayed there.

I took horseback riding trip in the smokie mountains that was really cool. I don't remember the name but I'm sure you can find it. They don't do any reservations it is just first come, first serve. Really neat. I would highly recommend.

Also, did the pink jeep tours and that was a highlight as well. Have fun!

I took horseback riding trip in the smokie mountains that was really cool. I don't remember the name but I'm sure you can find it. They don't do any reservations it is just first come, first serve. Really neat. I would highly recommend.

Also, did the pink jeep tours and that was a highlight as well. Have fun!

I'm a professional riding instructor/horse trainer and own a 25-horse farm, so as much as I LOVES me some horses, I'm on vacation to get away from my 4-legged money pits. :rotfl2:

One of our favorite things we did when we were there was tubing out of Sevierville. We used River Rat Tubing and I'd highly recommend them. It was definitely a highlight of our trip!

We stayed at the Inn at Christmas Place. Loved seeing Santa and having a Christmas tree in our room in July ❤️

Go to Gatlinburg and to donut friar but take cash, they are still cash only place. The best parking if you can get it for downtown gatlinburg is behind the aquarium.

There's one thing neither Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg have a shortage of and that's pancake places for breakfast.

I'm an ole smokey girl myself, get the blackberry moonshine and mix it with lemonade or sweet tea....so good!

Definitely rent a cabin. one of my favorite things is to pack a lunch and then go do cades cove loop and picnic at the park just outside the entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter