Pigeon Forge/Dollywood recommendations?

As far as attraction, the Titanic one is really cool. We also enjoyed the dixie stampede. Wonder works is fun too as well as Ober Gatlinburg.

We went to Pigeon Forge with a family group of 8 a couple of months ago, and stayed at Whispering Pines Condominiums. We have stayed there a few times and really like it. We got a 4 bedroom unit this time, but they have anywhere from 1-4 bedroom units available. They have balconies that either look over the mountains or the Pigeon Forge Parkway area.

As far as attractions, we really liked the Titanic Museum. We liked The Island as well, and it is neat riding the Smoky Mountain Wheel there for a nice view. They also have a new Soarin'-type attraction there, but we didn't ride it.

For something a little out of the ordinary, we went to the Bush's Beans Visitors Center and Museum in nearby Chestnut Hill, TN (about 20-30 minutes from Pigeon Forge). The small museum there is really neat, and the cafe there has good food for lunch.

We really enjoyed our visit to Parrot Mountain and Gardens in Pigeon Forge…and Anakeesta’s mountain coaster, treetop skywalk, and gem mining! We rented a cabin at the Parkside Resort Luxury Cabins with other family members…great, clean, quiet, picturesque resort…convenient to everything in that area.

Then definitely Gburg over PF. Someone asked about the LeConte Motor Lodge and Gatlinburg Inn. It's been 30 years or more on the lodge, but the inn is quirky and decent. Although it reminds me of a horror movie a bit lol.

Keep in mind, hotels aren't always as nice as you'd expect here. Kind of like Myrtle Beach in the mountains. Decent ones are the parkway Hampton, Clarion, Bearskin (a bit off the pkwy), Hilton Garden Inn (off parkway). Zoder's always looked cute to me, but never stayed there.
Lol that was me asking about the inn. Love quirky and decent. We just like being able to park and walk everywhere. I know OP asked about two bedroom but if anybody is looking for a 1 bedroom condo. I can reccomend (no its not mine 8-)) Dollys Country Condo. Its off the parkway up on a big hill but they have a back exit out of the building and its probably a 5 or 6 minute walk that brings you out right beside Ripleys on the parkway. Check it out on Airbnb

Attachments

• 1684250310392.jpeg
    1684250310392.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

We are skipping Disney next year to let our DVC points build back up and going to Dollywood/Pigeon Forge instead. There are SOOOOOOOOO many hotel choices. Any recommendations of where to stay and what to do? We wouldn't be opposed to renting cabin either as we will be traveling with another couple.
We rented a cabin about a 10 minute drive from the gates..Just keep in mind it is VERY hilly. So if you have mobility issues it might be an issue to walk about. But The place was great. We loved the cabin, and Dollywood, Pigeon Forge not so. - I mean nice to see once, did some outlet shopping and that was it.

But as a PP said, some areas are nice and some are not..

Seriously...we are NOT fancy people. I'm the daughter of Clark Griswold and would find great joy and amusement in visiting the Second Biggest Ball of Twine east of the Mississippi.

We don't drink alcohol, and nice shopping isn't our thing. I adore those ridiculous gift shops with the "$5 t shirts" on 192 in Kissimmee, and the cheese factor of I Drive.

We DO like to eat. Would likely do either Dixie Stampede or the Pirate Dinner Show (we loved Medieval Times). But are also all in on quirky fun restaurants with great food. We are from NC and GA so we know good BBQ and southern food.

We DO like to eat. Would likely do either Dixie Stampede or the Pirate Dinner Show (we loved Medieval Times). But are also all in on quirky fun restaurants with great food. We are from NC and GA so we know good BBQ and southern food.
We LOVED the Pirate Dinner Show!
Frizzle Chicken Farmhouse Cafe is cute and quirky, and the chicken and waffles were delicious!

We've been many times to Gatlinburg, and like Bennett's Pit Barbeque and No Way Jose's Cantina. We go for GSMNP more than the town, and always enjoy the Roaring Fork Motor Trail and Cades Cove.

I've never been, but have been told the Bush's Baked Beans museum nearby is good.

If you don't mind a bit of walking, Laurel Falls is very pretty, especially in June when the mountain laurel blooms frame the waterfall. And the vistas of the park as you go across Newfound Gap to Cherokee, NC are breathtaking.

I will say if you can venture out to the tanger outlets, the vera bradley sometimes has older disney vera bradley discounted

Here’s a run down from our trip last April.

Just got back from a great trip. Here’s my review.

We rented a cabin in Gatlinburg from VRBO (I’ll link it). https://www.vrbo.com/1749155
It was fantastic, perfect for what we needed. Location was great, easy to get where we wanted. Roads were a little scary but I’m from NJ and everything here is flat so the roads were not something I was used to.

I used Instacart for an order from Publix, it was ridiculously expensive but we were exhausted. So I kind of regret that but it made things so much easier. However, next time I’ll just shop on my own between the food being more expensive and a large tip (Friday night delivery) it was way too much.

Saturday morning we went to the aquarium, we parked in the garage behind it for $10. We got there before it opened which was a game changer. It was empty and we could take our time and enjoy everything without the crowds. We did the glass bottom boat, it was extra but my kids thought it was really cool. The shark tunnel was awesome and the longest one we’ve ever been in. The penguin tunnel where you could stick your head in was also a highlight. The only thing that was a bummer about getting their early most of the feedings and the penguin walk was later on after we left. We left around 11:30 ish and it was packed. Thankful we got there early and could enjoy it before it got crazy.

We had lunch at Chicken Guy and really enjoyed it. I know there’s ton of local non chain places but my son has food allergies and Chicken Guy doesn’t use peanuts or tree nuts so it was an easy safe option for him.

Sunday we met family at a local park to have Easter together at Wear Farm City Park in PF. It was a really nice playground and my youngest was thrilled to have something to climb on.

Monday it was rainy so we went to Wonder Works, again getting their at opening is key. We were the third family in line. We were able to walk right on everything. My kids loved it. We spent about 2.5/3 hours here. When we were leaving the line to get in was out the door. Next we went to Pigeon Forge Snow. It was expensive but it wasn’t crowded so my oldest got a ton of rides in. My youngest did one run and hated it so it was a waste of money for her. The landings were kind of rough so my back didn’t mind switching off and on with my husband for watching her vs tubing. Next we went to Downtown Flavor Town just to look at Guy’s car that’s in there. The arcade looked great but after Wonder Works and PF snow we weren’t spending any more.

Tuesday the guys 13-78 made knives at Circle Bar T. They all really enjoyed it and want to go back to make other knives. I didn’t make one and honestly regret not doing it. At night we went to the Lumberjack Feud. We really enjoyed that, having our side win helped too 🤣 I’m glad we got there early so we had good seats. They needed to put a bunch of folding chairs at the sides before the show started for people. I’m glad we had seats in the stands.

Wednesday my husband and I got up super early to get donuts from Donut Friar and then ride thru Roaring Forks. All we saw animal wise was turkeys and some bear tracks but no bears. In the afternoon the girls ages 8-74 made bowls at Fowlers I’m Gatlinburg. We loved this and Rachel our instructor was super patient with us. I can’t wait to get our bowls mailed to us and I would totally go again. Later on we went to Gatlinburg Ober. I know everyone says it’s outdated and a waste but we could see the tram from our deck and my son really wanted to ride it. The ride was surprisingly smooth but there was too many people crammed in for my liking. The building is outdated and the wildlife encounter was really sad looking. My son and husband did enjoy the alpine slide a lot. Overall I wouldn’t recommend it but my kids like the tram ride so it wasn’t a waste. At night we went to Hillbilly Golf and that was hands down the best golf course we’ve ever done. We all enjoyed the incline car to the top, the course was fun and would recommend it. We regret not going back and playing the other side.

Thursday we went to Anakeesta and loved it. Again Buying tickets on line and getting there before opening is a must. Also, the truck that you can take to the top doesn’t start at opening as they take supplies up. We had to wait a bit for a cabin as my 8 year old had no desire to ride a regular sky chair (nor did I!). We enjoyed the tree top course a lot. I didn’t realize it was going to have a decent amount of steps down too it and back up and it was a lot for my parents but they enjoyed it even if my mom said she thought it would kill her 😬. My kids loved the smaller climbing rope stuff they had and spent a lot of time doing them. Anakeesta was a highlight for us but I know it seems to be hit or miss for people. We did the tree top course a second time before leaving. To eat at Chicken Guy again. We also went to Rowdy Bear Snow Mountain in PF. They are having a construction special since the tubing isn’t open and we paid $26.99 for an hour for the 2 coasters and axe throwing. My kids had an absolute blast and since it was empty there was never a wait. Next up was Goats on The Roof coaster, again no wait and loved it. Finally we went to Ripley’s Old MacDonald mini golf. It had potential but for the price and the amount of animals that didn’t do anything but you could hear the gears grinding was a disappointment. We should have gone back to Hillybilly instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter