• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please recommend stroller for 45 lb., 42 inch child

Moby

Mouseketeer
My dd is 45 lbs and 42 inches tall. We never use a stroller anymore but thought we should have one for trip to Disney.

She did super on a trip in October to San Diego Zoo, Legoland, etc. but Florida heat and humidity will perhaps be draining to her as we live in dry climate.

Shall I just rent one? Or can you recommend a brand for purchase along with a website?

if she has done well at all the other places, i'd just rent on at the times she needs one. our 6 yr old only needed a stroller one day of our 8 day trip. plus they are big enough for her to sit comfortably.

Hi, I debated the stroller issue myself. I have a just turned 4 year old dd who is 55lbs and 42 in. Most strollers don't even go up to her weight. Renting one costs $7/day and I found one at Sears called the Kolcraft Stroller, Lite Sport with 1 Hand Fold on sale for $29.99. She fits fine in it and it folds really easily. It's lightweight and has a canopy as well as a basket underneath for storage. It doesn't recline though. I figured that I'd spend the same on a rental and would still have the stroller after the trip. I'll just give it to my sister who just had a baby! If you go to www.sears.com and do a search for Kolcraft. It is on sale right now for $29.88 right now. Good luck!!

:bounce:

Tidoublegger,

Thanks for the tip! Does your dd's feet fit on the footrest bar? I pulled out two old strollers (an umbrella and a nice Aprica) and put dd in them. If she puts her feet on foot rest, her knees hit the bar that is across the front of the stroller. She can hang her feet over the footrest, but doesn't seem like it'd be too comfy. Can you measure the height between the footrest and the front bar on your Kolcraft and post it for me? (does that make sense?)

Thanks!

can you remove that bar? Our stroller has the option to remove the bar when the child is older which makes it much easier for them to get in and out.

Moby-
I was wondering the same thing as the poster above me, could you remove the bar and see if that helps? I looked at an old Aprica I have and it looks like it *could* be done if you have someone that is handy or if you are personally.

Also--the InStep Single Umbrella stroller says it can only hold up to 40 pounds, but I have one on its way to me right now and will post on how strong it appears to be. I got a great deal on it thru an eBay seller and am paying about $35 shipped.

Good luck with your search!

Last fall I got a Combi SUB (or was it SUV?) for my son who was about 41lbs, 41 inches tall for our Disney trip. It was under $50 with shipping and lightwieght. I was very pleased with it. It has a small basket, the chair reclines and it has a hood. I still have it and will use it again for our trip next fall. It weighs about 9 lbs (i think) and folds up pretty well and comes with a shoulder strap to carry it around.

Zephyr,

Is there a website where you got your Combi for $50? I'll try to take the front bar out of my Aprica, as suggested by another post, but am thankful for other suggestions as well.

Hi Moby, I searched high and low and can not find my tape measurer. I can tell you that the bar comes off. As a matter of fact, I'm not planning on even taking mine because my dd will probably pop in and out of the stroller as she wishes and to have the bar there would be such a pain in the neck. At this age/size, I probably won't even use the strap to hold her in...I'm just using the stroller to save her legs and our sanity!! LOL! If I find it, I'll measure that for you, but I wouldn't recommend even keeping a bar on for a child that age/size! Good luck! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

tidoublegger

That particular Kolcraft stoller has a maximum child weight of 35lbs.

http://www.kolcraft.com/products/onthego2.cfm?id=55&p=lw

I'd really encourage people to think before putting a child that exceeds the maximum child weight - especially when you are taling about exceeding it by 25%! They are there for safety reasons. You won't have a great trip if your child ends up hurt because the stroller collapses underneath them.

The Combi SUBV has a maximum carrying weight of 45 lbs.

The Combi is a great stroller, here is the link to the SUBV:
http://www.combistrollerstore.com/subv.html

I bought the Travel Savvy as it seemed a little more, well, sturdy, I guess. Here's a link to that:

http://www.combistrollerstore.com/travelsavvy.html

When I bought mine they were selling these in cool colors and has a black & lime green one which I wanted but DS & DH outvoted me and we ended up with a black and bright orange stroller. I gotta say we could always pick it out of the stroller parking area-lol!

Love the way these Combi's fold and stand on their own-that itself is so invaluable if you are getting onto a bus, whatever--very convenient and lightweight. I got tons of compliments from other parents who were dealing with a heavy stroller that had the back axle, therefore, couldn't be folded very small.

Just my .02!

Still awaiting the InStep stroller to see how sturdy this one will be. If it is anything like the previous ones they made it will be great! :)

We use the disney rental for our 5yr old, 41 lb 41 inch DD. It beats hauling all over the place. Also these are large strollers, and she doesn't feel too babyish being in it. We even had our 7 year old niece in one a few years ago (a double they shared). When we go again DS will be 2.5yrs, and we'll rent a double for both of them instead of bringing his. If they don't need to recline, we don't want to hassle hauling one from home.

Frankly I think they need adult strollers. What I wouldn't give to be able to sit in one, with a nice canopy, and have the kids push me for a change!!

Have a great trip

:D I agree that an adult stroller would be grand! :D

If the Comb is only 45 lb capacity, are there strollers available that have a 45+ lb capacity that don't cost an arm and a leg?

I was planning on just renting (and probably still will) but thought it'd be convenient to have stroller at the airport as we've got a long flight with plane changed and layovers. Also, nice at the end of the day to stroll back to the car or just carry our backpacks.

Any one know of a stroller that has over 45 lb capacity??

There are special needs strollers for weights above 45 pounds, but since there is not a large market for them, they do cost a lot. For a child that size, renting a WDW stroller made for bigger kids is a good optopn.
I looked at an old Aprica I have and it looks like it *could* be done if you have someone that is handy or if you are personally.
If the bar is not made to be removed, it is probably needed for stability and to help keep the stroller from collapsing under weight(especially if the child is alrewady heavier than the stroller's weight limit).

Although the weight limit is 35lbs, I am only planning on using it for 4 days total and I can't imagine that it would collapse with given it's very sturdy. If it were something I were using all the time, that would be a different story. I appreciate the input though! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Be careful about dragging feet. If the foot goes under the footrest, you could end up with a badly scrapped foot or even a sprained ankle!

Moby,

Your original question indicated you were considering renting. We rented last year and will do it again this year.

My kids really enjoyed the Disney rentals - which are surprisingly easy to push (and we had a double). I wouldn't recommend them for most children under two (they don't recline and are difficult to nap in), but for preschoolers (and even young elementary age children) they work fine. (The strollers at MGM were more the umbrella stroller type, the kids didn't enjoy them as much).

I don't know what the age is, but you might want to consider planning no stroller and renting if you need it. You may not, if you've toured other places without.

We used a cheapo Kolfraft on a trip when my daughter was a young 4, but when we went last month (she's 5 1/2 now) I don't think she ever considered a stroller or asking to be carried, and we really commando toured. Weaning off the stroller was a big deal for us, since we don't drive at home, we walk everywhere, including the mile to school every day, so she was admittedly more ready for heavy walking. But really, the stroller issue never came up once for us. I did see a lot of kids her age and bigger being pushed around, though.

Pushing a stroller is cumbersome and tiring for the parents. If a child hasn't asked for one, I wouldn't introduce the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter